Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Maybe someone else will find this info useful or helpful. Some of the info is available on manufacturer’s website, but not all so o thought I’d share.

Hawkins SA M5 Oberndorf
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Action screws and pillars included with above bottom metal.

TriggerTech Special w/pins from Defiance

Wyatt’s Extended SA mag box

Wyatt’s SA follower

Wyatt’s SA follower spring

Hawkins LR Hybrid Rings, Low, 30mm, with screws and recoil lugs/pins

Defiance AnTi SA (medium according to defiance definitions)

Last edited by drano 25; 01/27/22.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I like it!
Defiance crf LA with TT 34 oz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good thread - I have probably posted these before but will ad them to this post:

Short action Defiance Rebel sheep port:
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bartlein carbon wrapped #4 contour barrel chambered & crowned @ just under 22 3/4" - 7MM barrel:

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those defiance actions make me want to build a rifle just cuz

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Good thread - I have probably posted these before but will ad them to this post:

Short action Defiance Rebel sheep port:

Bartlein carbon wrapped #4 contour barrel chambered & crowned @ just under 22 3/4" - 7MM barrel:

Ahh, yes. A handy piece of informatIon to have.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Based upon some info I received from Bartlein as to the weight of their various CF bbls, based on contour and finish length, it looks like the OPs bbl shed almost 6oz in the chamber, threading and crowning process. ((Bartlein suggests 3.15# (50.4oz) as the raw weight of a #4, finishing at ~23"))

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Based upon some info I received from Bartlein as to the weight of their various CF bbls, based on contour and finish length, it looks like the OPs bbl shed almost 6oz in the chamber, threading and crowning process. ((Bartlein suggests 3.15# (50.4oz) as the raw weight of a #4, finishing at ~23"))

That is Oregon Muley’s barrel and I’m guessing he had a good chunk of shank lopped off of blank before chambering and threading.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drano 25
Originally Posted by WiFowler

That is Oregon Muley’s barrel and I’m guessing he had a good chunk of shank lopped off of blank before chambering and threading.

Yup, Shaen aka Shooter71 here on the fire did chop off almost an inch of the shank - see picture. I had sent a PM to Frank Green @ Bartlein asking him about chopping the shank on the CF barrels and he said no problem unless doing it on a big magnum and then maybe not a great idea. He said for a girly 7MM-08 it was fine. So far though it hasn't blown up on my but does seem to kill stuff grin

aalf also had a thread sometime last year comparing a CF wrapped barrel to I believe it was the Bart 2b barrel. I f I remember right the #4 CF weighs about the same as a 2b once chambered if comparing equal finish lengths.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very useful. I didn't know those actions were so light.

By comparison, a stripped Remington 700 stainless short action (including bolt and recoil lug, but without trigger) I weighed was about 27 ounces. I think I weighed a Model 7 that I thought would be lighter, but it was pretty close to the 700 short action.

Stripped Win 70 classic short (WSM) stainless action and bolt was 31 ounces, no trigger or bolt release.

As far as light barrels go, at a 22" finish length, the Remington M7/mt rifle contour barrels I have weighed all came in around 30-31 ounces.

Could probably hit that weight in a #1 contour at 24" with a short shank.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TX35W
Very useful. I didn't know those actions were so light.

By comparison, a stripped Remington 700 stainless short action (including bolt and recoil lug, but without trigger) I weighed was about 27 ounces. I think I weighed a Model 7 that I thought would be lighter, but it was pretty close to the 700 short action.

Stripped Win 70 classic short (WSM) stainless action and bolt was 31 ounces, no trigger or bolt release.

As far as light barrels go, at a 22" finish length, the Remington M7/mt rifle contour barrels I have weighed all came in around 30-31 ounces.

Could probably hit that weight in a #1 contour at 24" with a short shank.

Thanks for the additional info. It is very useful when planning a build.

The AnTi actions shave weight for sure. I believe the only non-steel component is the aluminum shroud. You can see the areas on the receiver where they kill away some material, and the bolt handles are hollow. It is competitive in weight with some of the titanium actions.

I’m using a Rock Creek barrel cut to Bartlein #2 contour. My estimate is it will be 41ish oz when threaded, chambered and cut to 22” length. It’ll be several weeks yet before I can confirm how good, or bad, my math is. I’ll post it here when I do though.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
A Pierce CrMo short action (bolt, no trigger) weighs 733gm or 25.85oz

A Pierce Ti short action (bolt, no trigger) weighs 525gm or 18.52oz.

Last edited by Adamjp; 02/05/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I would gladly go with the short AnTi at 20.2oz rather than the titanium at 18.5oz.

That “extra” 1.7oz gets you far superior material. No more Ti actions for me and I have had 4 Rem, 3 Lone Peak, two from some outfit in Ohio.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by drano 25

Thanks for the additional info. It is very useful when planning a build.

The AnTi actions shave weight for sure. I believe the only non-steel component is the aluminum shroud. You can see the areas on the receiver where they kill away some material, and the bolt handles are hollow. It is competitive in weight with some of the titanium actions.

I’m using a Rock Creek barrel cut to Bartlein #2 contour. My estimate is it will be 41ish oz when threaded, chambered and cut to 22” length. It’ll be several weeks yet before I can confirm how good, or bad, my math is. I’ll post it here when I do though.

Definitely report back on that Rock Creek.

I've mostly drifted over to Benchmark and Lilja bc they both build skinny stainless barrels. Still use Barts or whatever Bugholes has in stock for heavier contour stuff.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Winchester Classic Stainless Standard Action with 22 inch #2 Hart Barrel and Sunny Hill Bottom Metal= 5lbs 5oz

Bedded Brown Precision Stock, 14 LOP= 21 oz

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Manners UC if we are adding stocks - that’s with studs and 1/2” recoil pad.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So you got one!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kingston
So you got one!

It took a while .

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
More barrel weights:

Winchester classic featherweight barrel, .270 at 20" : 31.5 oz. (taken off a 1990's New Haven Stainless BOSS rifle)

Winchester classic 338 Win Mag barrel at 24": 38.5 oz (another 1990's New Haven Stainless rifle)

Winchester classic 7mm WSM barrel at 24": 42.5 oz (early 2000's New Haven Stainless rifle). Appears to be same contour as the 338 above.

Remington 700 sporter contour .243 at 24": 43.7 oz.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Recoil pad weights:

The Cervetelli microcell pads in the 0.9" thickness weigh 1.9 ounces, about 3.5 oz less than a decelerator, and they are about as soft.

The 0.59" Cervetelli pads are around 1.5 oz. Manners either uses these or a very similar pad on the UC stock.

I wouldn't pull a decelerator off if its fitted, but putting a microcell pad on a stock knocks a fair amount of weight off and will also shift the balance forward on the rifle, which might or might not be good.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I like it!
Defiance crf LA with TT 34 oz

That’s the picture that got me!

Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Manners UC if we are adding stocks - that’s with studs and 1/2” recoil pad.

And I like the looks of that! Any chance of comparing it to the Shrike?

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,503 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.