Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
Originally Posted by SDHNTR

If they made a 4-16x50 Precision Hunter in SFP/MOA, I'd buy one.

I get the impression you do not like FFP. Is that right?

I used to wonder about them and, after using them, came to prefer them over SFP.

Correct. I’ve been at this for a few decades now. I’m having a hard enough time with twisty things on my scope and marks on my crosshairs. And math hurts. You know that thing about old dogs and new tricks? Yeah, that’s me.

And yes I tried. Bought a wonderful Meopta in FFP a couple years ago and tried to get on board. Gave it hell, just couldn’t get used to it. Sold it to a good buddy and he loves it.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 01/25/22.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mil or moa. Always preferred moa in the past. Now days it’s pretty much potato pahtato. It’s just a unit of measure. Mil does break down better for a ffp reticle I will say that.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Maybe I missed it, but I am interested in the source for glass in March scopes .

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by cisco1

Maybe I missed it, but I am interested in the source for glass in March scopes .

Ok. Good to know. I think.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Mil or moa. Always preferred moa in the past. Now days it’s pretty much potato pahtato. It’s just a unit of measure. Mil does break down better for a ffp reticle I will say that.

Yeah, it's not exactly pohtato Vs.potahto. The actual usage is different. Let me give you a real-life example.

I'm a (very) long time high power competition shooter who sought refuge in F-class about 17 years ago because I could use a riflescope. In NRA (and similar) competitions at known distances, requiring a high degree of precision, the SFP riflescope with an MOA-based reticle rules the roost. The target is all MOA based and even with varying distances (like 600 and 1000 yards), you just use a zero setting for that distance as expressed in MOAs offset from the other distances. For example, my 1000-yard zero is the actual 0 on my scope and to get to the 600-yard zero, it's 20MOA down, or two turns. When I'm finished at 600, I dial back to the 1000-yard zero. Easy peasy. During a match, I will make corrections depending on what I see on the target, and it's all MOA.

I also shoot (infrequently) some PRS competitions. There are various distances encountered in the course of fire. They will range from say 300 yards to 1000 yards. Before the match, I make a quick chart of the various distances and set up the FFP/Mil scope on my PRS rifle, such as it is, with the 0 set to below the minimum distance for the course. Then I calculate the distances to be fired and plot them from the zero I just set. For instance, I have a course with targets at 341, 479, 595, 702, 797 and 950 yards. My zero on the rifle is 200yards. So, I plot out the various come up from 200 for the distances I just listed. The come-ups will all be in Mill to 1 decimal. For example, 341 could be 1.4 MIL; 479, would be 2.7MIL and so on until I get to 950 which would be say, 9.4MIL. The elevation dial on my FFP scope is 10MIL/rotation. This means that I simply dial the exact number on that dial, that corresponds to the come-up for that distance. I can quickly dial from 1.4 to 9.4 (341 yards to 950yards) just turning the dial and looking at the numbers.

Try doing that with an MOA-based dial really quickly. For one thing you will get tripped with the 1/4 or 1/8 MOA markings and also, instead of a dial that has 36MOA per revolution (10MIL), you have a 10MOA/rev or some such. That gets even trickier and I guarantee you that at my age, I will be badly fumbling and be totally lost halfway through the first stage as the targets are not necessary in order of increasing distances. The fiends.

Anyway, that has been my experience; use the proper tool for the job. MOA and MIL are both suitable for hunting, but I find it's easier to dial offsets in MILs. That's if you dial at all, of course.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The D25V52 is getting pretty close.

Hash spacing on the reticle should be 2 MOA @10X/ 1 MOA20X.

Needs covered/locked windage turrret.

Sure are a lot of interesting scopes on the market these days.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Have you looked at the D25V42M with an MTR-4 reticle? It has capped knobs and the hash spacing that you want.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
42 mm
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter

Have you looked at the D25V42M with an MTR-4 reticle? It has capped knobs and the hash spacing that you want.

The 42mm objective is a deal killer on any optic over 10X for me much less 25X, 2mm exit pupil (@20X) just ain't going to work under recoil on game no matter the glass.

That said the MTR-4 reticle is pretty good when combined with good illum and is available on the 52mm.

Now Deon just needs to cap or lock the windage and keep a proper elevation turret.

Thanks for pointing out the MTR-4.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
42 mm

The 42mm objective is a deal killer on any optic over 10X for me much less 25X, 2mm exit pupil (@20X) just ain't going to work under recoil on game no matter the glass.

That said the MTR-4 reticle is pretty good when combined with good illum and is available on the 52mm.

Now Deon just needs to cap or lock the windage and keep a proper elevation turret.

Well, you can always contact Deon and ask them if they can have a capped windage knob and an exposed "tactical" elevation knob?

That said, the regular capped knobs are very nice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
42 mm

Well, you can always contact Deon and ask them if they can have a capped windage knob and an exposed "tactical" elevation knob?

That said, the regular capped knobs are very nice.

It looks like anything with a capped turret is 10 MOA per rotation or the small objective and thats a deal killer for me on a hunting scope.

I can make custom turrets in yardage for about anything but really need 20 MOA per rotation to be practical.

The compact line (D25V52TI) with the illum MTR-4 reticle is really interesting if the windage turret would lock or could be capped. I would not care what the per rotation was or even what the click value was within reason.

That scope is 5ozs heavier than my current favorite Leupold VX6 3-18X50mm and in the long run I am sceptical it brings any real world advantage but........

I would love to check out the elevation turret setup for a custom slightly taller Drop Compensating Turret engraved in yardage and to see how Deon set up the zero stop.

I just checked retail price and was sort of suprised @ $2500, figured it would be more.

That's not cheap but I was expecting over $3500.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I was looking at High End Scopes and I investigated NightForce , I already had a Swaro. I was looking at Hensolt , S&B and several others
1 of the things that sold me on the March was and this may have already been mentioned in another post.
Is that the reputation and Claim to Fame of the March Scopes was that the Point of Impact did not change between the low setting and high setting on their Variable Scopes.
I wanted the Highest Power that I cold get and that was the March 8--80 56mm
I mounted it on my Spring Field M21 Custom Build.
When I go to the Range to shoot I was usually the last guy to leave in the evening after everyone would pack up and go home due to the dark I was still shooting for some times up to an hour after they would leave.
Some shooters would hang around and I would let them shoot. Everyone that shot agreed that that March Scope had the best glass and light retention that they had ever seen.
The glass is better than my Swaro. and about 6 or 7 of us did a side by side comparison with every Scope they had in my favorite Gun Shop back when I received my March only one guy said that the NightForce had better glass and everyone else kinda beat him up about it. He was a boneafied to the Core NightForce guy.
Everyone else said that the March had better glass.
I almost did not get the Scope back from one salesman He said that he was looking down the blouse of a real good looking girl diagonally across the street threw 2 glass windows probably 300+ yards away.
If I am ever in the market for another Scope March will be the first company I will be looking at.
Ya the field of view (eye box) is tight but what would anyone expect for an 80 power scope.
My Hart Beat and Breathing will not let me turn it all the way up when shooting 60 is about the max for me But it makes a GREAT Spotting Scope and I can turn it down when shooting.
The first time I took it out to set the Scope I was getting upset because I was loosing the Target at a 100 yards even when the Rifle was set in a sand bag. I got frustrated because it took hours for me to realize that at 80 power I was looking at the grain structure of the paper target in between the target lines after I figured that out it was getting dark people were packing up and I placed 3 shots dead center you could cover them up with a Nickle & I am not that great of a shooter. I have since sighted it out to 200 & 300 Yards and I did OK again it is not me it is the equipment.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Who supplies the glass for March Scopes?

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.