-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 23 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 22 23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nan and I were on our honeymoon. We went to Montreal and Quebec City. On the way back home driving her 1970 Cougar at about midnight, I was going a little faster than I should have been and hit a frost heave. Bottomed out and split the oil pan wide open. We only had a very short distance left to go so we went. At THAT time I had no idea bout the split. We got to where we were going and I was unpacking the trunk when I noticed the oil on the snow. I looked under the car and saw the leak. The next morning bright and early I was outside dropping the oil pan. I had a Miller genuine draft in the snow. I reached out to get a swallow and it was nothing but slush.....The thermometer????????????? -38*. We LOVE the cold to this day.

This is the view from my front window right now. 50 mph wind and 10*

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
60 and sunny

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Nan and I were on our honeymoon. We went to Montreal and Quebec City. On the way back home driving her 1970 Cougar at about midnight, I was going a little faster than I should have been and hit a frost heave. Bottomed out and split the oil pan wide open. We only had a very short distance left to go so we went. At THAT time I had no idea bout the split. We got to where we were going and I was unpacking the trunk when I noticed the oil on the snow. I looked under the car and saw the leak. The next morning bright and early I was outside dropping the oil pan. I had a Miller genuine draft in the snow. I reached out to get a swallow and it was nothing but slush.....The thermometer????????????? -38*. We LOVE the cold to this day.

That's a GREAT story!

My first honeymoon, 1977, was similar but during Indian Summer, and probably much the same itinerary- Montreal, Ontario, etc. and New England. Heading home on the last night of the two week trip, the day before we both had to be back at work, the bolts holding the RH front lever shock in the '62 Austin-Healey stripped out of the frame from the incessant pounding through potholes on the Connecticut Turnpike. Did you know that Connecticut shuts down for Columbus Day (at least back then)? Being stuck in a motel room in Hartford for two unplanned days while waiting for a garage to re-open was not fun, nor was listening to my boss give me hell about not showing up on time with what he called a cockamamie excuse.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/29/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

That's a GREAT story!

My first honeymoon, 1977, was similar but during Indian Summer, and probably much the same itinerary- Montreal, Ontario, etc. and New England. Heading home on the last night of the two week trip, the day before we both had to be back at work, the bolts holding the RH front lever shock in the '62 Austin-Healey stripped out of the frame from the incessant pounding through potholes on the Connecticut Turnpike. Did you know that Connecticut shuts down for Columbus Day (at least back then)? Being stuck in a motel room in Hartford for two unplanned days while waiting for a garage to re-open was not fun, nor was listening to my boss give me hell about not showing up on time with what he called a cockamamie excuse.

Another good story............

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
February 18, 1979 I read the thermometer on the front porch of our hunting camp in Northern Herkimer county NY State at 46 below zero. I think it was 52 below zero that day in Old Forge. I was 16 at the time, my brothers and I amused ourselves by spitting on the front porch and watching it bounce down the porch like hailstones. We were there to hunt snowshoe hares. Dogs never even got out from under the wood stove that day.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm glad I don' have any cold weather stories. Although I always wanted to hunt Musk Ox.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Remind me to tell you the story about my buddy's wife who made one last trip to the frozen outhouse as we were packing up to leave hunting camp. Unbeknownst to her, a porcupine had taken up a position on the stalagmite of frozen poop (probably gnawing on the "salty" wooden hole rim from underneath), and she spooked it when she sat down. Much fun with vise grips ensued....

I guess I didn't need reminding.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/29/22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Feb 2, 1996 .. state record low

Attached Images
Minnesota state record low.jpg (26.54 KB, 126 downloads)
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
16 feels like 8.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
16 feels like 8.

So, did you at least put long john's on under your gym shorts today? grin

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe Wyoming isn't so bad. The coldest I've seen is minus 30. And that was in early November 8 or 9 years ago. The weather here is unpredictable. That's a big understatement.
Gary, that porcupine story is painful and so is the Austin Healy story. I had a Triumph Stag once. I have many painful stories about the Stag. But this isn't the place for them. Darn English cars. They sure are good looking though. Well, most of them.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hunted mouflon sheep in minus 40 once. Don't know what I woulda done if I'd actually found one. You gotta keep your skin covered but if you bundled up it was no different than any other temp.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
16 feels like 8.

So, did you at least put long john's on under your gym shorts today? grin

No, but I did put on long wool sock in my Krocs.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Dang Britt cars. Paid $100 for it with 14,000 miles. Drove it to 54,000, parked it for 30 years, sold it for $1750.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
60 sunny today

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
From in here looking out, looks like it's half past a Pepsi partway to a beer.

LOL
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Remind me to tell you the story about my buddy's wife who made one last trip to the frozen outhouse as we were packing up to leave hunting camp. Unbeknownst to her, a porcupine had taken up a position on the stalagmite of frozen poop (probably gnawing on the "salty" wooden hole rim from underneath), and she spooked it when she sat down. Much fun with vise grips ensued....

I guess I didn't need reminding.

Thanks for the memory, Gary.

I've stomped more than a few stalagmites at our camp before we became a civilized bunch. The trick was in the timing. You didn't want to be first or second in the morning because you wanted a warm seat. On the other hand, if you were later than 6th or 7th, you ran the risk of getting goosed.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 01/30/22.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
21° and snowing with 20-30mph winds. We've picked up about 9" in the past 24 hours. All the roads around here are closed because plows can't keep up with the drifting.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Rainy and cold. Worked on saws all day, put about 10 on a chainsaw site for sale, Sold two.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
High of 16 here today. Got down to 10 last night.
2 inches of sleet and ice last night followed by 3” of snow.
Lost power last night at 9:00pm. Finally came back on today at 2:00pm. Still snowing. Windchill minus 1. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 8 of 23 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 22 23

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 22250rem, 1badf350, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,215
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.