Tundra

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I purchased a Tundra Sr5 TRD in 2017. It had a defective front Michelin not the trucks fault. It however had an issue keeping alignment. It was aligned three different times by 2 Toyota dealers and it was never right. It also could not drive past gas stations without stopping. 15 MPG , no thanks.

I must be different than a lot of folks on the mileage issue. I’d I’ve for my truck to get 30mpg, but realistically I know I’m going to get about 14-16. I drive considerably more than most people. In the last 10 years I’ve put:

135,000 on a Ford 150 5.0L (17.1mpg)
120,000 on a GMC Yukon with the 5.3L (17.8mpg)
45,000 on a Lincoln Navigator with the 3.5L (around 16.5mpg) 60,000 miles on a 2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L (about 14.5mpg)
40,000 on a Chevy Tahoe (about 18mpg).

The difference between the Tundra and the Ford over 100,000 miles is about 1,100 gallons of fuel. Most folks drive 12-15k miles a year so that’s going to take 7-9 years to make it to 100K. That’s less than $500/year.

Either way, to me it’s a small price to pay to have a very reliable vehicle. We’re on our 3rd Tundra in my family and have yet to have a problem in 250,000, but I’m not naive enough to think they’re bulletproof. One thing that not mentioned, and it plays into the horrible Tundra mileage is the very small fuel tank that was used for so long. When you can only go 300 miles on a take of fuel it feels like you’re getting horrible mileage since you fill up all the time.

I had the extended range tank available on the SR5 and above. I think it was either 32 or 36gal. Truck consistently was out of alignment, 2 dealers told me that they are heavy trucks and long road trips knock them out of alignment. Longest road trip was 550 miles each way. When fuel gets to 4 bucks a gallon we will see how you feel about 15 mpg.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It’s too bad our fuel prices have been artificially inflated, 15 mpg doesn’t cut it for a daily driver if you have any distance to travel. Of course the prices & supply have been manipulated to force the “green” electric vehicles.
Hopefully the current prices for all fuels comes back to earth soon.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Every manufacturer of ½ ton pick ups make a good, reliable truck, most of the time.

If you talk to 10 people who have put 100K on any brand, you will get 6 to 8 who tell you about a good, reliable truck that has never let them down.
You will always get at least 1 or 2 who tells you it is a piece of junk.
Sometimes you just get a lemon.

As often as not, that 1 or 2 pieces of junk were poorly maintained or pushed beyond reasonable limits.

MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Anaconda
Every manufacturer of ½ ton pick ups make a good, reliable truck, most of the time.

If you talk to 10 people who have put 100K on any brand, you will get 6 to 8 who tell you about a good, reliable truck that has never let them down.

As often as not, that 1 or 2 pieces of junk were poorly maintained or pushed beyond reasonable limits.

At last a reasonable answer instead of brand-bashing. Thank you

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
New 2021 tundra in the driveway. Prices are crazy….new was thousands cheaper than a used one.

Like it better already without the BS fuel saving start stop or cylinder shut down. I’ll pay a bit extra for gas…

Rob
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You will at best have the most reliable truck on the road
AT worst, they are thirsty but when it comes time to resale it will bring a few grand more than it's counterparts, that alone will pay for a bunch of gas.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by drover

drover

I agree and the "I had a x brand and it was a POS I'll never have another." You pay your money you take your chances. I've known one person that had a collapsed lifter on a GM. The same lady blew a motor on a Toyota Sequoya before the Suburban and proclaims her latest vehicle is a piece of crap too. Perhaps just bad luck, but that's really really bad luck - especially on a 5.7L iForce motor. The overwhelming majority of any new ones last a good while, some don't. Her pops GMC just doesn't want to seem to die and it has more miles on it than I've ever seen anyone's toy yoda go but I am not going to proclaim on a sample size of one that anything is good or bad but this one is going on 23 years and at this point has enough mileage to have gone around the world 25 times.

Here is the last odometer reading. Maybe he should read this thread to hear about how awful his GM is wink

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Buzz
Originally Posted by drover

drover

I agree and the "I had a x brand and it was a POS I'll never have another." You pay your money you take your chances. I've known one person that had a collapsed lifter on a GM. The same lady blew a motor on a Toyota Sequoya before the Suburban and proclaims her latest vehicle is a piece of crap too. Perhaps just bad luck, but that's really really bad luck - especially on a 5.7L iForce motor. The overwhelming majority of any new ones last a good while, some don't. Her pops GMC just doesn't want to seem to die and it has more miles on it than I've ever seen anyone's toy yoda go but I am not going to proclaim on a sample size of one that anything is good or bad but this one is going on 23 years and at this point has enough mileage to have gone around the world 25 times.

Here is the last odometer reading. Maybe he should read this thread to hear about how awful his GM is wink

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If it doesn't have AFM it is going to last a long time properly maintained. Not an option with todays GM products. Its going to still have a problem with the cheap mixer doors failing and the transmissions are not great but it is a decent solid truck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They all suck at one time or another.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Yes, Toyota has had frame rust problems at one time. They’ve got other quirks too that I’ve not experienced with other trucks.
They are not perfect, but it seems no manufacturer can put together a truck with all the best qualities without a gremlin here and there.

Poor saps that live back east...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I feel for you.. How many trucks do you think you'll go through before this one give up the ghost? Keep buying pos new trucks that keep getting worse though. HA HA..

God I hate suicide truck doors.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,646
Posts18,474,534
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.