Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It was everywhere in the mid 70s. Purportedly designed by Brit Gerald Holtom, in 1958, for the nuclear disarmament movement, some argue that it has older and darker symbology

[Linked Image from toppun.com]

But does it have any real meaning? I've heard it associated with satanism, nazism, and all sorts of evil.
It is sometimes called the cross of Nero.

In our community, which is also the hometown of Ronald W. Reagan, it has seen an amazing resurgence in use. It is popping up on business roofs, barn sides, gates, porches, pastures, and windows everywhere, in various LED colors.

My wife thinks they are cool, and I agree, with the caveat that I am suspicious of new age symbolism.

The resurgence seems to be a local thing, and she found out on a doctors visit this morning that a Local RN is making and selling the LED peace signs. Said nurse was selling them at the local farmer's market, but was being heckled and harassed until she stopped.

Is this an innocent symbol of cold war ant-nuke idealism? Or is it something darker?

Opinions appreciated. Preaching? Not so much. please take it elsewhere...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Track of the American Chicken.

[Linked Image]
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Awesome...

Gotta keep our heads til this peace craze blows over...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This has always been good enough for me.

I don't need any other symbol and I don't need this one in rainbow colors, blue lines, black lines or whatever your individual identity politics might be.

[Linked Image from hips.hearstapps.com]

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It's an inverted cross.
The swastika is a broken cross.

Not preachin' - - - - - - yet. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I have always preferred the version below. It's interesting that it's making a local resurgence. I'm sure it has to be a hate symbol of some sort like the Gadsden Flag. Who knows anymore.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Peace is great...assuming the other side does the same thing. Often walking away from a gun fight only gets you shot in the back.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm old school grin a BUFF and Haight-Ashbury circa 1968 would have solved some problems. Damn hippies.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have not thought about the old peace sign for years. Did not understand how "love" became "luv" either

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
There's nothing more peaceful than a graveyard full of your enemies!

"Kill 'em all- - - - - -let God sort 'em out!"

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by johnw
It was everywhere in the mid 70s. Purportedly designed by Brit Gerald Holtom, in 1958, for the nuclear disarmament movement, some argue that it has older and darker symbology

[Linked Image from toppun.com]

But does it have any real meaning? I've heard it associated with satanism, nazism, and all sorts of evil.
It is sometimes called the cross of Nero.

In our community, which is also the hometown of Ronald W. Reagan, it has seen an amazing resurgence in use. It is popping up on business roofs, barn sides, gates, porches, pastures, and windows everywhere, in various LED colors.

My wife thinks they are cool, and I agree, with the caveat that I am suspicious of new age symbolism.

The resurgence seems to be a local thing, and she found out on a doctors visit this morning that a Local RN is making and selling the LED peace signs. Said nurse was selling them at the local farmer's market, but was being heckled and harassed until she stopped.

Is this an innocent symbol of cold war ant-nuke idealism? Or is it something darker?

Opinions appreciated. Preaching? Not so much. please take it elsewhere...

I've heard it called a "peace sign" in the US but I had one on my 1966 Gibson EB2 bass guitar and in those days it was called a "Ban the Bomb" sticker so maybe there is a transitional aspect to it like most things where the original intent is railroaded and re instituted, I don't know!

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't have a clue as to the resurgence of the symbol, but it was looked at with some disgust by my veteran peers in the '70's. I don't think any of us could be said to be 'pro-war'...but on the other hand, those who openly flouted the symbol seemed to be the hippy types, college kids going on their parents dime, not really anybody we respected or took seriously. It was rightly also associated with the cannabis crowd. As far as the anti nuke sentiment went....that feeling was universal and required no symbol. I've never in my life met anybody who was pro-nuke...but most people with an IQ over 25 watts, understood the need for nukes to maintain that balance of peace that 'mutually assured destruction' guaranteed. If the peacenik disarmament bunch had got their way back then, I wonder what language we would be speaking now? Russian? Chinese?
In any event I'm curious what the symbol means now...nukes are obsolete except for Islamic psychopaths, EMP's are the weapon of the future.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I don't have a clue as to the resurgence of the symbol, but it was looked at with some disgust by my veteran peers in the '70's. I don't think any of us could be said to be 'pro-war'...but on the other hand, those who openly flouted the symbol seemed to be the hippy types, college kids going on their parents dime, not really anybody we respected or took seriously. It was rightly also associated with the cannabis crowd. As far as the anti nuke sentiment went....that feeling was universal and required no symbol. I've never in my life met anybody who was pro-nuke...but most people with an IQ over 25 watts, understood the need for nukes to maintain that balance of peace that 'mutually assured destruction' guaranteed. If the peacenik disarmament bunch had got their way back then, I wonder what language we would be speaking now? Russian? Chinese?
In any event I'm curious what the symbol means now...nukes are obsolete except for Islamic psychopaths, EMP's are the weapon of the future.

It means nothing. When the last 1960's hippie dies I hope they forever bury that "peace" symbol with them.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve never heard of anything about the Peace Symbol, other than its obvious association with the hippie movement back in the 70s. That’s why I don’t really care for it.
Wikipedia has nothing about it as far as darkness or evil. They give its origin in the late 50s and the no nuke groups.
It’s still a fairly free country, and if it pleases you, have at it.
When did the Gadsden Flag become a hate symbol? mad Lord knows I really hate making liberals and snowflakes uncomfortable! grin
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." οΏ½ Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the peace sign picks up it's darkness and evil from the people who used it - Marxist scum!

Politics is War by Other Means
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I’ve never heard of anything about the Peace Symbol, other than its obvious association with the hippie movement back in the 70s. That’s why I don’t really care for it.
Wikipedia has nothing about it as far as darkness or evil. They give its origin in the late 50s and the no nuke groups.
It’s still a fairly free country, and if it pleases you, have at it.
When did the Gadsden Flag become a hate symbol? mad Lord knows I really hate making liberals and snowflakes uncomfortable! grin
7mm

7mm, the commie left likes to push using the usual media channels that the Gadsden is a symbol of white supremacy and hate. It pisses me off.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mike78
This has always been good enough for me.

I don't need any other symbol and I don't need this one in rainbow colors, blue lines, black lines or whatever your individual identity politics might be.

[Linked Image from hips.hearstapps.com]

I agree

Romans 5:1
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We should all demand that it be abolished and prohibited because it makes some people uncomfortable.

It'd serve the Left right.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by flintlocke

It means nothing. When the last 1960's hippie dies I hope they forever bury that "peace" symbol with them.

kwg

+1

I try hard to forget all that bull$hit in that era. Nothing good became of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 46 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,078
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.