Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Got this in my email in-box yesterday, and thought right away that is was probably bogus and the sender was hoping I'd call the number to investigate... Uh, NO - ain't doin' THAT..:

Invoice Date: February 04, 2022 04:28:17 AM
Purchase ID: 8EKMB-QAW2K-N82P
Transaction ID: 457F77MS
Mode of Payment: Prepaid
Payment Source: Credit Card / Bank Account
Final Charge: $649.99
TITLE QTY EXCHANGE RATE PRICE SUB TOTAL
Payment to Coinbase Global, Inc. 0.013 BTC 1 BTC = $38,291.37 $642.73 $642.73
Gateway Fee $7.26

Sub Total $0.00
TOTAL $649.99
Additional Transaction Details
Order Ref # C8315BEF424003724F519A0AE5285D491279F294651AC174A
Approval # 1fXQ8c0Uu98xn2uUIi8w

Thank You for using PayPal to complete your purchase of $649.99. Coinbase Global has received the money in return for 0.013 BTC Please allow the charge to be processed through your bank which may take up to 72 hours.

Cryptocurrency is decentralized digital money that's based on blockchain technology. You may be familiar with the most popular versions, Bitcoin and Ethereum, but there are more than 5,000 different cryptocurrencies in circulation.

For any assistance you can call our support to help you out: +1 844-5130-841

Note: Each PayPal account has a unique QR code that can be shared to receive money. The users need to visit the "Share" tab for this purpose. By scanning this QR code, the senders can easily transfer money to the recipient. Apple's Camera app lets the users do so directly through their cameras. Most of website support to accept the payment as a gateway. You can integrate and accept payment from any website using PayPal.

--------------------------------------------------------
Warm regards,
Customer Helpline No.: +1 844-5130-841

I immediately checked all accounts and sources - all OK.. Also called PP and got a nice lady who gave advice on what to do immediately, and then had me send that email to "spoofpaypal.com".. They wanted to check it out, find out where it came from etc...

I've already changed all passwords to all accounts and am checking 'em daily for any weird activity... So far, so good..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
844-5130-841
That phone number isn't even in the normal sequence. Too many scammers these days.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just in case, check your credit card charges regularly for a while. You should be doing that anyway.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I got one from an Amazon looking account couple days ago. Thanked me for purchasing an 85” Samsung TV to be delivered to a Chicago address. I live in Mn.
I did a search of the address, it does not exist. And the charges did not include sales tax. Those scammers better sharpen up. Of course there was a phone number I could call if they could be of assistance.

NRA Patron
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I get about 2 a day

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just had one of toughs this morning. Total BS as I dumped PayPal several years ago.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Odds are great that many if not most of us probably already have had our personal ID and financial info hacked/stolen and is now listed for sale on the dark web along with the personal info of multiple millions of others and the only reason it's not been used yet is it hasn't been sold yet.

How Hackers Monetize Stolen Personal Data

Verizon’s annual data breach report states that 86% of personal data breaches are about money, and 55% are committed by organized criminal groups. And with the amount of money they can make, they are not going anywhere anytime soon.

After stealing your personal information, hackers organize it in a database that they monetize in various ways.
They can use the data themselves.

Hackers could profit from your stolen personal information by exploiting it to make transactions or perpetrate fraud, such as:

Withdrawing money from your bank account
Obtaining new credit cards
Making online purchases
Borrowing money from the bank or your friends and family
Making fraudulent health insurance claims
Paying off their debts

Hackers may sell your personal information to other criminals

Another way hackers profit from stolen personal data is by selling it in masses to other criminals on the black market for thousands of dollars. Buyers can purchase the stolen data they are interested in and use it for their malicious activities.

For instance, personally identifiable information such as names of breach victims, their Social Security numbers, home addresses, and dates of birth can be used to make fraudulent transactions.

Buyers can also clone credit card numbers and security codes and use them for identity theft. The buyer can, for example, apply for loans in the victim’s name or file false tax reports. And they can use stolen emails in phishing attacks, social engineering tactics, and DDoS (distributed denial of service) attacks.

How Much Do My Hacked Accounts Cost?

According to the Dark Web Price Index 2021 by Privacy Affairs, cybercriminals can make quite a profit from hacked personal data.

Everything from credit cards to Netflix accounts is up for sale on the dark web.
Financial Accounts

To get stolen credit card details with an account balance up to $1,000 costs $150. Credit card details with an account balance up to $5,000 cost $240.

A bank account with a minimum of $2,000 will only cost a cybercriminal $120 to obtain the login details. And stolen PayPal account details with a minimum of $1,000 also cost $120.

To transfer money from a stolen PayPal account with a balance of $1,000 – $3,000 will cost a cybercriminal $340, while to transfer money from a stolen PayPal account with a balance of $3,000 only costs $180. And to obtain the login information from 50 hacked PayPal accounts costs $200.

Western Union transfer from stolen accounts above $1,000 costs a mere $45. A verified Stripe account with a payment gateway goes for $1,000.

One of the most valuable accounts on the dark web is crypto accounts. A hacked and verified Kraken account goes for $810, a hacked and verified Coinbase account goes for $610, while a hacked and verified Cex.io account costs $410.
Social Media Accounts

Social media and email accounts vary between $35 and $80.

A hacked Twitter account costs $35, while you can pay up to $80 for a hacked Gmail account.

To get a thousand followers, likes, or shares for your social media accounts varies between $1 and $25. For instance, hackers ask for as little as $5 to buy 1000 followers for your Instagram account, and the same following costs $2 for Spotify.

The price of an email database with up to 4.78 million emails can go for as low as $10. Private USA dentists database with 122k emails goes for $50. And the USA Voter database from various states costs $100.
Scans of Documents and Physical Copies

Passports are also one of the most expensive items listed on the black market index. The highest physical (Maltese) passports can fetch a whopping $6,500, while the lowest (Lithuanian) passports go for $1,500. For a physical forged national I.D., hackers ask as low as $50 (Newjersey ID), but in some cases, up to $500 (Latvian ID).

Prices for forged copies of driver’s licenses of different states vary between $20-$100. A U.S. driver’s license goes for $100, while an Australian driver’s license only fetches $20.

Hackers ask for $8 for a hacked Uber account and $14 for a hacked Uber driver’s account.

U.S. valid social security number goes for $2.

An eBay account with a high reputation (1,000+ feedback) might reach $1,000. While a fake U.S. Green Card sells for $150.

What You Can Do to Protect Yourself

To prevent your personal information from ending up on the black market, follow these basic guidelines.
Use a Strong Password

Use a password manager to help generate strong and unique passwords for each one of your social media accounts.

Generic passwords such as your birth date or the name of your first pet are easy to crack.

Make sure your passwords are long (at least 16 digits) varied with letters, numbers, and symbols.
Enable multi-factor authentication

Enabling multi-factor authentication on your accounts means that if hackers can access your login details, they’d not be able to access your account with just the passwords.

This is because multi-factor authentication requires a password plus something only you have access to — like a backup code, tapping a number on your screen, or a text message sent to your phone.
Be wary of public WiFi.

Avoid accessing sensitive accounts while you are on public WiFi. According to a study conducted by Kaspersky Security, nearly a quarter of the world’s public WiFi hotspots don’t use any encryption.
We found our personal data on the dark web. Is yours there, too?
This is why hackers often target users on public WiFi to steal their login details. Suppose cybercriminals can access the login information of one of your online accounts. In that case, they can use brute force to crack the passwords of your other accounts and steal money or sensitive personal information.

Always use a VPN and a robust antivirus with a firewall while browsing on public WiFi so your data can be encrypted while in transit.
Be careful while browsing online.

Change the default privacy settings on your devices. And always clear or disable your browser cookies. You should also limit the information you share on social media. For instance, don’t use your full names on your social media accounts. And always read the terms and conditions before using an application or service.
Conclusion 👨‍🏫

As discussed earlier, data breaches are about money which means hackers are here to stay.

Cybercriminals will continue to target remote employees. And the growth of 5G will expand the bandwidth of connected devices, making them more vulnerable to cyber-attacks.

These reports show the importance of keeping your valuable data and personal information private and secure.

By Dan Patterson, Graham Kates

March 25, 2019 / 12:09 PM / CBS News

The little drips of personal data leaked from every major data breach—your name, email, phone number, Social Security number, and mailing address—pool in a murky corner of the internet known as the dark web. Some of these leaks might seem relatively insignificant, but criminals exploit your personal data for profit and to help other criminal operations prosper. The dark web is where these transactions happen.

The spectrum of threat actors operating on the dark web is broad, ranging from lone wolf hacktivists to nation-states and organized criminal operations. What they have in common, however, is a lust for personal data. The recent Gnosticplayers hack, for example, obtained nearly 840 million records from 32 companies. And according to cybersecurity experts, while unique records sell for cheap—a portion of the trove was listed for 1.2431 bitcoin, or about $4,940—in aggregate our personal details help enrich these nefarious operators.
Navigating the dark web

Like the traditional internet that we use every day, the dark web is a network of websites. But unlike our traditional internet, the dark web requires special security software to encrypt browsing activity and hide a user's location and identifiable details.

There are countless legitimate uses for the dark web. Political activists living in totalitarian states use the encrypted web to share mission-critical information, and reporters in conflict regions often use the dark web to communicate with sources. But the dark web's discreet nature is also exploited by hackers and criminals to trade in weapons, drugs, stolen data, and other illicit goods and services.
dark-web-market.jpg

Hacked personal data may seem benign relative to other harmful material for sale on the dark web, but according to Emily Wilson, the vice president of research at cybersecurity firm Terbium Labs, in the hands of criminal actors your personal data can have serious and potentially dangerous consequences.

"Data is transmitted very quickly. There's no ship time. Criminals buy it, they get it instantly, and they can cash it out," said Wilson. "Data is often good for a long time. If somebody uses your credit card, you get a fraud alert, and get a new credit card number. That's a loss to you and that's annoying. But what about your Social [Security number], what about your name, what about your address or your driver's license numbers? These are data points that can be exploited for decades or for a lifetime. And once it's out it's nearly impossible to get it back."

One dark web data site sold our information along with several thousand other individuals for less than $100 in Bitcoin.

We asked Terbium Labs to do a deep dive into the dark web and search for any information about us that had been leaked as a result of hack. What they found was disturbing. Our personal information was mixed in with wholesale data dumps of information about thousands of people. The building blocks to not only replicate our own identities online, but everyone else packaged along with us.

"Identity theft and other scams often rely on incomplete information," wrote Wilson, in the report she prepared for us. "These scams exploit and bypass systems designed to reduce user friction first and provide security second."

One reporter's name triggered matches dating back to 2015 on what Wilson described as a "fraud site" named Black Stuff. His name also popped up among leaked email that included tens of thousands of rows of data from thousands of people. The leaks, Wilson said, may have included passwords.

Someone with the same name appears to be further compromised, she found. That person, "appears repeatedly exposed through work-related leaks of code and information, including contact details."

The other reporter was a bit more obscured, but the findings are nevertheless disturbing. An apartment building where he recently lived is lighting up the dark web.

The address "has partial matches on a series of doxes," she wrote, using a term that refers to the act of publishing someone's contact information as a sort of malicious revenge. Information from people at the residence also appeared on a fraud site called Omerta, as well as on a well-known non-dark web site: WikiLeaks. The leak in that instance involves campaign donations, and information includes people's full names, addresses (including apartment numbers), emails and even phone numbers.

Our personal records are packaged with the records from tens of thousands of other individuals. This year, the seemingly-endless parade of hacks and data breaches includes the video game Fortnite, Dunkin' Donuts, and the Dow Jones company.

The real harm, said Wilson, is that once your data is for sale on the dark web, it's likely to remain there for years to come. "You're just another cog in the wheel. You're just another resource. Data is often repackaged, resold, re-released, which means, if you're exposed once, it's going to be used hundreds, thousands, maybe even millions of times before it's all said and done."

Last edited by joken2; 02/05/22. Reason: added links
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a phising scheme sent to any email address that they can get their hands on, even to people with no PP account...................If they get one or two people out of thousands that the send it to, to bite & respond to them then they will get your info only if you give to them.

Check your accounts, as you did & don't lose much sleep.....................they don't have anything, just phising for a sucker, especially conscientious & paranoid old people.

MM

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Warm regards sounds enticing

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Had the same email a couple weeks back, nothing looked familiar and I noticed the phone number, immediately deleted it checked my account to make sure nothing stupid was going on and went on with life, it does get your heart going at first though.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
George Washington

Willie, smile
Coquille Valley Machine Works
541-260-6246
[email protected]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
844-5130-841
That phone number isn't even in the normal sequence. Too many scammers these days.

Other than the phone number (which is listed twice in that same incorrect configuration) that was a relatively professional looking eMail mostly with mostly proper grammar, etc. I think I saw only one sentence that had any kind of grammar issue, and it had just enough complicated financial talk to make it hard to follow, but not enough to really concern me. Normally scammer eMails have all kinds of red flags. The "warm regards" thing was a bit off, but I have seen that as people's personal work eMail signature before.

I wonder if utilizing that slightly incorrect phone number sequence is some sort of legal loophole that allows these scammers to operate?

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Just in case, check your credit card charges regularly for a while. You should be doing that anyway.
I do, and I am.. smile

Even w/o that email, I check bank accounts nearly every day; have done so for years...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
I get about 2 a day

This

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
S
S
I run a watchdog organization called "ScammerBlaster" and we actively seek out scam operations and get their phones shut down very quickly. In fact, our small group of only few dozen people shut down approximately 200 scammer phone systems per day and coordinate with various law enforcement officials to go after a wide variety of scams. We also expose telecoms who DELIBERATELY supply phone services to these horrible people.

I found your post because it contained a phone number that I had Googled, due to a report I received about a scammer on toll-free number: 8445130841

I am working on getting their phones shut down as I write this.

Please let me know about any scammer phone numbers you come across and my team and I will get them shut down fast... in most cases in less than 2 hours.

Originally Posted by Calvin
I get about 2 a day

Please let me know about every scam phone number you get. We do not charge for our services and you will love when scammers reach out to you in the future because of how we will take care of this quickly.

Scam reports can be emailed to me administratorscammerblaster.com or sent to me on my website scammerblaster.com

I hope everyone has an awesome weekend!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hehehe

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
How do we check out this guy's bonafides?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oh schit... you guys have done it now.
Where’s brick top when you need him!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FatCity67
hehehe

Yeh --that's I was thinking!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Work IT guy runs a tight ship. If it looks like spam it gets reported and he deals with with. Most times our clients get hacked which is quite effective in soliciting clicks.

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm not bitin'.........

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,039
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.