Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Not really. Just clickbait. Actually this is the opposite. Optimism, and rambling thoughts.

The MK5 has a great reputation with lots of feedback, none of it negative, which is a rarity for any scope of any brand. The specs are ALMOST perfect for a medium range hunting rifle with one huge problem for a hunter; 34 mm tube. There's no way to run a 34mm without a raised cheek. The lowest available rings are .856.

Still in search for the perfect "medium" range hunting scope. So far the original Bushy LRHS 3-12x44 is the closest thing to it (for me). If the MK5 3-18x44 were a 30 MM tube I'd be all over it. Not only would a 30mm mount lower, but the weight would be reduced a few more ounces making it one of the lightest, if not the lightest, scopes with a universal reputation for durability (so far). Also would prefer a 4x erector, 4-16. They're just easier to get right. Thats not a deal breaker, and all reports are that the 6x in the MK5 is not bad.

As it stands, the quest for more scope options for a medium range rig continues. By medium range I mean 600-700 yards.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Medium range is 600-700 yds?

How about we call it medium longe range…….?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
NRA & CMP long range don't start until 800 yards.

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone

NRA & CMP hunting?

I prefer 30mm tubes for short range 500 yard hunting rifles

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why would you need a cheek riser? The difference between center line of sight between a 34mm tube and a 30mm is 2mm. Does 2mm really mess up your cheek weld?

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Why would you need a cheek riser? The difference between center line of sight between a 34mm tube and a 30mm is 2mm. Does 2mm really mess up your cheek weld?

Did you read what he wrote about rings? I guess not

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Another Leupold thread failure (left "thread" out of topic to get more hits grin). Lets not talk about dropping scopes in this discussion.

On a more positive note, the MK5 has a great reputation with lots of feedback, none of it negative, which is a rarity for any scope of any brand. The specs are ALMOST perfect for a medium range hunting rifle with one huge problem for a hunter; 34 mm tube. There's no way to run a 34mm without a raised cheek. The lowest available rings are .856.

Still in search for the perfect "medium" range hunting scope. So far the original Bushy LRHS is the closest thing to it (for me). If the MK5 3-18x44 were a 30 MM tube I'd be all over it. Not only would a 30mm mount lower, but the weight would be reduced a few more ounces making it one of the lightest, if not the lightest, scopes with a universal reputation for durability (so far). Also would prefer a 4x erector, 4-16. They're just easier to get right. Thats not a deal breaker, and all reports are that the 6x in the MK5 is not bad.

As it stands, the quest for more scope options for a medium range rig continues. By medium range I mean 600-700 yards.

Seems I've read some reviews that implied it was better than other Leupolds, but not on par with some other brands. Perhaps I'm mistaken. I can do some digging later.

I was giving one of these some thought. I was able to get my hands and eyes on one. 34mm tube was kind of a deal breaker for my intended use. Wasn't thrilled with the reticle in the model I looked through, but I'm sure there's other reticles available. Right now, for the money, I'd go NF NX8. For the 34 size I'd go with the bigger Bushnell Elite tacticals, if only because for me they are a known entity

Just the same, I am glad that the Leupold seems to be moving the needle forward on reliable tracking and rugged offerings. If they scale it down but keep good internals, I'd give them a shot again.

Can I ask why you wouldn't just buy new LRHS2 from GAP if you are happy with the gen 1 offering? Or a used one? I'm still buying the 3-12 variants when I can. Certainly a lot of options out there that come close, or are better in singular aspects, but I haven't come across anything I like quite as much as far as reticle, overall features, and ruggedness.

Last edited by Starbuck; 02/07/22.
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Upright, no.

Proned out, absolutely. And prone is the most frequent position on longer shots where cheek weld is most important.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
So was it a MK5 that failed?

Can you describe the failure??

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the MK5 a 35mm tube???

I'm asking because the MK5 was on my short list for a 100-600yard hunting rifle.

Edit: I may have interpreted the thread wrong. Are you asking about failures other than dropping? Did this happen to YOUR Leupold??

Tangent Theta 3-15x50 would be perfect as well. Anyone know how much I could get for a kidney???

Last edited by WB300; 02/07/22.
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Starbuck, we are on the same page. LRHS GAP or used still ranks first on the list. Regarding the MK5, I'm the same as you, leery, but optimistic for the first time in while for a scope by the brand.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
For my uses, +30mm tubes are a swing and a miss.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WB300
So was it a MK5 that failed?

Can you describe the failure??

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the MK5 a 35mm tube???

I'm asking because the MK5 was on my short list for a 100-600yard hunting rifle.

Failure was clickbait. And yes, 35mm tube which is also weird. Sorry about that.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Same here. Whats next, 40mm? Where does it stop?

All the resources and development are towards the tacticool crowd and us hunters are left to compromise.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Gotcha. Sorry for my confusion.

All of my Leupolds eventually failed mechanically and I've since sworn off Leupold, but that MK5 has my eye.

Searching for reviews seems to find little failures so far, but more about loose tolerances that Leupold says are "within spec."

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Same here. Whats next, 40mm? Where does it stop?

All the resources and development are towards the tacticool crowd and us hunters are left to compromise.

40mm tubes have been out for a few years.

My Mk5 5-25x56 sits too high and I have room to use lower rings, but as stated above there’s not many options in the 35mm world. If it were a 34mm there’s tons of options.

I bought a pretty decent stock pack from Triad that has a lot of spacers for adjustment. They’re velcro so it doesn’t move around like some of the others I’ve tried. It was easy to get my cheek weld right but I’d rather be lower than having to ride on a lift kit.

When Doug closed out one of the Bushnells a few months ago one of my buddies bought one. I put several rounds through it. Great clarity but it was mid day so there’s that. I’d say it edged out my SS 5-20 on glass although I can’t speak to durability. The Bushnell was not up to par vs the Mk 5 on glass but at 1/3 the price I would have rather bought two bushnells and put $900 back in my pocket.

I’ve beat the living hell out of the old SS 5-20 and never noticed it. Everything else it seems I’m always tinkering with, including the Mk 5.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We all wondering out west why our mule deer buck population is on such decline. Blame it on cougars and disease. But noone thinks about all the new swingin dicks out there becoming 800yd + deer hunters. Give me a 100 of them, a 10 in gong and a 800 yd range with a breeze. I will lay money that 90% miss on first shot. Miss a gong and you miss. Miss a deer and you gut shoot it, or other wound, and off it runs to die a few days later.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Tesoro, Speaking the obvious truth here, will win you no friends.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Tyrone

I'm all for long range precision...but you will have to admit no critters are gutshot on paper.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Tesoro
We all wondering out west why our mule deer buck population is on such decline. Blame it on cougars and disease. But noone thinks about all the new swingin dicks out there becoming 800yd + deer hunters. Give me a 100 of them, a 10 in gong and a 800 yd range with a breeze. I will lay money that 90% miss on first shot. Miss a gong and you miss. Miss a deer and you gut shoot it, or other wound, and off it runs to die a few days later.

Exactly.

My experience is that with a little practice, 600 yards is fairly routine. Anything past that starts getting dicey and is more of a craft.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Tesoro, Speaking the obvious truth here, will win you no friends.

Exactly on all accounts. Most guys that want to shoot 800 yards on a critter don't practice past that. Wondering how much experience the op has at shooting 1,000 yards? Keeping in mind I'm not talking about hitting a 2'x2' plate. First shot hits are what matters. Reading wind and knowing how to dial is the next. That doesn't even include nerves for when a big buck comes out. A lot of guys I've seen get buck fever so bad it isn't even funny. Equipment shouldn't even be a question. I'd be looking at Nightforce and leave the Leupold in Beaverton... Also no need to go 35mm tube.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 62 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,136
Posts18,502,721
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.