C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by CashisKing

"...a citation of scripture is a political statement."

Only if you allow it to be.

It can also be a statement of non politics...

Seek ONLY God.

Sorry I should have said “a citation of THAT passage of scripture is a political statement” because in it Christ was making a statement at least partially political in nature.

There were folks in His hearing who were loyal to Caesar above God. There were also folks who claimed that being disloyal to Caesar was the only way to be loyal to God. By giving the answer He did to the question He told both parties they were wrong.

If Jesus in the very passage you cited was political then wouldn’t your assertion that I quoted be called into question?

As to your questions about “if” they’re worthwhile; we pray in the Lord’s Prayer “thy kingdom come” for those exact reasons. The problem is that until our Lord returns we are left to play out our faith the in public sphere as best we can, yes?

I do not see Jesus as political...

In my opinion... he is neither a Democrat... nor a Republican.

He was bringing people to an understanding...

I am an architect... I bring people to an understanding of the reality they seek... and fail miserably at it more often than I care to mention.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am pleased for you that you have Faith.

I am pleased for you that you know God.

Honestly, it is none of my business.

Each man walks in his own shoes... on his own path in life.

It is not my place to ever tell another how to walk... or where to walk... or what Kingdom to seek... or not seek.

... I refuse.

Same with Caeser's vax... I refuse.

Many other things as well... I refuse.

Last edited by CashisKing; 02/07/22. Reason: Typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
EFW... I have no further comment.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by CashisKing
EFW... I have no further comment.

I completely agree with what you say I just think we have different definitions of politics.

I appreciate the back and forth sir.

Ps- I agree with you on the vax and probably a whole lot of other things…

Last edited by efw; 02/07/22. Reason: Ps
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
If you guys keep posting, especially about religious stuff, JackOffMountain may scold you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The notion of a Creator is not unique Christanity.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by kingston

That’s a fair point for sure.

Do you think that the FFs could imagine a country such as ours is today when they spoke of freedom of religion?

It seems to me that ours is a product of technology and ideas that they didn’t likely have within their frame of reference.

I mean to them “equality” was only applicable to white landholders… that alone suggests a much different understanding than what we have when we come to ideas like these.

Ps- just to be clear my points above should not be construed as suggesting I don’t believe that everyone should be able to practice their religion (or not practice any) as they see fit. Only to ask if the FFs imagined things ending up the way they have when they wrote the Constitution

Last edited by efw; 02/07/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are you suggesting that the FF's intended that being Christian be a prerequisite to full participation in our Republic?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Are you suggesting that the FF's intended that being Christian be a prerequisite to full participation in our Republic?

No not at all.

I am just saying that they were swimming in a thoroughly Christianized context. Even non Christians back then (hell… as late as the 1950s) had a Christian understanding of morals and ethics.

In spite of his insinuations to the contrary I’m with Antlers when he says there is no forcing Christian conversion through the power of the state.

I do, however, wonder whether a religiously diverse society is even possible if there are religions represented that stand in opposition to the Christian ideals of individual liberty?

I suppose that in that sense the enlightenment had within itself the seeds of its own destruction. The individual freedom it espoused meant that there would come a time when that very freedom would be exercised to limit the freedom of others and being down the whole system.

Does that help clarify the direction from which I’m coming?

Honestly kinda thinking as I type… I am open to challenge/correction…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Many liberal physicists are starting to believe the math proof that being in a simulation is more likely than evolution.

That means a creator.......................God is making a comeback.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Christian ideals of individual liberty"

Is individual liberty really a Christian ideal?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Many liberal physicists are starting to believe the math proof that being in a simulation is more likely than evolution.

What do the Hindu physicists believe?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

That a slut with a murderous cult following abetted by a giant elephant man will burn all the widows, and out of the smoke see the future?

Just a guess

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

That a slut with a murderous cult following abetted by a giant elephant man will burn all the widows, and out of the smoke see the future?

Just a guess

Are there any chicken bones involved in this or is that just voodoo schit?

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
23 pages? I was just trying to get a rise out of the fanboys, maybe even draw flave out of hiding. Jeebus….. I was thinking 2 pages tops.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
23 pages? I was just trying to get a rise out of the fanboys, maybe even draw flave out of hiding. Jeebus….. I was thinking 2 pages tops.

Well, it's about a fourth of the way down page 10 right now. There's no way this thing ever gets the 13 more pages needed to hit 23. That is, unless we start debating foods, beers or women's hair colors.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Well, it's about a fourth of the way down page 10 right now. There's no way this thing ever gets the 13 more pages needed to hit 23. That is, unless we start debating foods, beers or women's hair colors.

My quotes per page is set at 20 (that's probably default but I can't remember if I ever changed it) and I have 23 pages. You can change that in your settings.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
22 pages and counting by the default settings.

🤓

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by antlers
Nothing that you’ve said above diminishes what I’ve said above. In any way. And the highlighted accusation that you made above…although it caught me off guard coming from you…doesn’t surprise me at all that it’s coming from a ‘Christian’. It’s, unfortunately, a typical ‘Christian’ response when one simply has a differing opinion about certain matters such as these.
Your response here is rather hypocritical. By putting ‘Christian’ as you do when dealing with those who disagree with you it appears you’re casting aspersions upon their faith, correct? A yes or no straight up will suffice.
No.

I have zero problems with someone disagreeing with me. The part of my response that you mention above was due to the accusation that you have since apologized for. And it stems from the fact that a great many men here, over time…both churched and unchurched…have mentioned, unfortunately, how some/many Christians are quarrelsome and hostile and disputatious. We’ve seen accusations and attacks and name-calling on this very thread by people who claim to be Christians.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

If we can start a good argument about the proper number of posts per page, then I think we can break 30.

Ya fookin dooshbag!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by efw
Nothing that you’ve said above diminishes what I’ve said above. In any way. And the highlighted accusation that you made above…although it caught me off guard coming from you…doesn’t surprise me at all that it’s coming from a ‘Christian’. It’s, unfortunately, a typical ‘Christian’ response when one simply has a differing opinion about certain matters such as these.
Your response here is rather hypocritical. By putting ‘Christian’ as you do when dealing with those who disagree with you it appears you’re casting aspersions upon their faith, correct? A yes or no straight up will suffice.
No.

I have zero problems with someone disagreeing with me. The part of my response that you mention above was due to the accusation that you have since apologized for. And it stems from the fact that a great many men here, over time…both churched and unchurched…have mentioned, unfortunately, how some/many Christians are quarrelsome and hostile and disputatious. We’ve seen accusations and attacks and name-calling on this very thread by people who claim to be Christians.

The notion that Christians are "quarrelsome and hostile and disputatious" is certainly not something the Narragansett, or the Zulu, or the Mayans would dispute.

Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 222ND, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,876
Posts18,478,877
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.