Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Might slum a chevy, know where I can pick up a 73 el camino with a 454 in decent shape.

That would be cool.
Never saw one with a 454 big block.
Most had a 350 or a 396.
Rarely see an old Camino at all around here.

A friend has a 69 setting in his pasture. Been sitting there so long it has a cedar tree that’s grown up through the rusted out bed. I think it has a 327. It was his Dad’s.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This POS going over 100 mph caused 9 deaths here in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully, he was one of the 9.
I can't even remember the last time I saw a cop doing routine traffic enforcement here. They have much more important things to do.

High speed crash leaves 9 dead

Driver Gary Dean Robinson, 59, of North Las Vegas.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Jahrs
My 1975 Pontiac Trans Am with the Factory 455 and Hurst 4-Speed would bury the 150 mph on the speedometer.

Don’t know what top Speed was, but no one ever out ran me on the Hwy when I had it.

Me and a buddy out ran a factory 455 t/a in a Gremlin. Red light to red light.

First off, let me clarify that my Trans Am was a 1974 Model. NOT A 1975 Model.

And that T/A driver y’all raced was probably laughing so hard at a Gremlin trying to race him that he forgot to shift gears. 😜
Had a cousin that put a 454 Chevy big block in his Chevy Vega and took a lot of folks money street racing way back then.
So looks can be deceiving. 😬

Anyhow.......
My 455 engine was not stock. Blew the original engine at 30,000 miles racing a Corvette out on the Interstate.

I had a local guy that drag raced Top Fuel Dragsters Professionally rebuild it for me. Cost me $3K back in 79.
He over bored it, shaved the heads, added a 3/4 Racing Cam, balanced and blueprinted the engine. Also added EDELBROCK Racing manifold, Holley 650 Double pumper Carb, Hooker headers, and a pair of Thrush Straight-through glass pack mufflers. And, I added a set of traction bars and wider tires for the back, as it was tough to get traction out of the hole with the 4-Speed Manuel transmission and an engine making 450 horses.

I had two buddy’s at the time with T/A’s and Firebirds.
On had a 78 Trans Am with the 455 and the other had a 75 Firebird with the 400 engine. And another buddy with a 69 Barracuda with the 440 engine. Another buddy had a 1978 Corvette Pace Car, and another had a 69 Chevelle SS with the 396 engine, and another friend with a 1971 Mach 1 Mustang with the 429 engine.
We all hung out together and spent every Saturday night we could at the local drag strip. My car with the rebuilt engine would run in the high 12’s / low 13’s on the strip.
None of the friends I mentioned above ever beat me on the Legal Drag Strip or on the street.
And I never got beat street racing either in my hometown.
I took the 455 decal off the hood scoop and won quite a bit of $$$ racing on the street, from folks that would cruise Main Street looking for a race on Friday nights

And, also, I should have proof read my original post before posting. I’ll blame it on the small onscreen keyboard on my iPhone. 😬
Again, My Trans Am was a 1974 Model. NOT A 1975 Model. Sorry for the confusion, but the Specs EdM posted are for another model. Not the one I owned.
Pissed me off because I knew they weren’t the correct specs for my T/A. Sounded like was being condescending before I went back and reread his post.
My fault, not his. So I guess I owe him an apology for acting like a asswhole . 😬

Here are the the correct Specs for the 1974 Model.

Engine type Pontiac Big Block V-8 455 SD
Displacement 7.5 l (455 ci / 7456 cc)
Power 314 ps (310 bhp / 231 kw) @ 4000 rpm
Torque 529 Nm (390 lb-ft) @ 3600 rpm
Power / liter 42 ps (42 hp)
Power / weight 189 ps (187 bhp) / t
Torque / weight 318 Nm (235 lb-ft) / t
Transmission 4 Speed Manual (3.08 ratio)

Wished I had kept that car. Only 212 were produced with the 455 SD engine and Manuel transmission.
One with only 9,500 miles sold for $111,000 back in 2015 at a Barrett-Jackson’s Vegas Auction. 😢

https://www.sportscarmarket.com/profile/1974-pontiac-trans-am-sd-455

Not dissing your T/A at all but check out the 1972 Gremlin 401-XR specs:13 sec qtr mile right off the show room floor
https://www.streetmusclemag.com/features/muscle-cars-you-should-know-amc-gremlin-401-xr/

Last edited by Jahrs; 02/09/22. Reason: Link

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My 1975 Pontiac Trans Am with the Factory 455 and Hurst 4-Speed would bury the 150 mph on the speedometer.

Don’t know what top Speed was, but no one ever out ran me on the Hwy when I had it.

And that T/A driver y’all raced was probably laughing so hard at a Gremlin trying to race him that he forgot to shift gears. 😜
Had a cousin that put a 454 Chevy big block in his Chevy Vega and took a lot of folks money street racing way back then.

Anyhow.......
My 455 engine was not stock. Blew the original engine at 30,000 miles racing a Corvette out on the Interstate.

I had a local guy that drag raced Top Fuel Dragsters Professionally rebuild it for me. Cost me $3K back in 79.
He over bored it, shaved the heads, added a 3/4 Racing Cam, balanced and blueprinted the engine. Also added EDELBROCK Racing manifold, Holley 650 Double pumper Carb, Hooker headers, and a pair of Thrush Straight-through glass pack mufflers. And, I added a set of traction bars and wider tires for the back, as it was tough to get traction out of the hole with the 4-Speed Manuel transmission and an engine making 450 horses.

On had a 78 Trans Am with the 455 and the other had a 75 Firebird with the 400 engine. And another buddy with a 69 Barracuda with the 440 engine. Another buddy had a 1978 Corvette Pace Car, and another had a 69 Chevelle SS with the 396 engine, and another friend with a 1971 Mach 1 Mustang with the 429 engine.
We all hung out together and spent every Saturday night we could at the local drag strip. My car with the rebuilt engine would run in the high 12’s / low 13’s on the strip.
None of the friends I mentioned above ever beat me on the Legal Drag Strip or on the street.
I took the 455 decal off the hood scoop and won quite a bit of $$$ racing on the street, from folks that would cruise Main Street looking for a race on Friday nights

And, also, I should have proof read my original post before posting. I’ll blame it on the small onscreen keyboard on my iPhone. 😬
Again, My Trans Am was a 1974 Model. NOT A 1975 Model. Sorry for the confusion, but the Specs EdM posted are for another model. Not the one I owned.
Pissed me off because I knew they weren’t the correct specs for my T/A. Sounded like was being condescending before I went back and reread his post.
My fault, not his. So I guess I owe him an apology for acting like a asswhole . 😬

Wished I had kept that car. Only 212 were produced with the 455 SD engine and Manuel transmission.
One with only 9,500 miles sold for $111,000 back in 2015 at a Barrett-Jackson’s Vegas Auction. 😢

Not dissing your T/A at all but check out the 1972 Gremlin 401-XR specs:13 sec qtr mile right off the show room floor
https://www.streetmusclemag.com/features/muscle-cars-you-should-know-amc-gremlin-401-xr/

Wow. Never knew that.
I have not seen a Gremlin around here in years. Makes you wonder what happened to all of them.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Longbob

Anyhow.......

We all hung out together and spent every Saturday night we could at the local drag strip. My car with the rebuilt engine would run in the low 13’s on the strip.

My fault, not his. So I guess I owe him an apology for acting like a [bleep]. 😬

What is a 3/4 racing cam? What rear gear and tire size?

It may have been a term that was used here regionally.
I just remember it as s term the local hot rod crowd and mechanics I hung out with used.
I can’t remember the brand and version of the camshaft that my mechanic used in the engine build. Wished my memory was that good. 😬
That’s what we referred to back then as a Cam you could still use on the street, and for normal every day driving, but was much more high performance than a stock camshaft.
A racing cam back then made your engine’s idle way too rough when you were sitting at the red light before it changes.
An engine with a full racing cam always sounded like they were about to sputter and die at idle RPM’s. They made your engine sound like it was about to run out of gas, until you got above idle RPM.
And if I recall correctly, the rearend gear ratio was a 3:43

I can’t recall the tire size. I know I put on set of air shocks so they wouldn’t rub on the fender wells.
Seems like the tires were Goodrich. I also put a set of Custom Crome Rocket brand Spoke wheels on it. The type that had like 5 big spokes. Not those bicycle type spoke wheels you see on cars in “da hood”.
Heck, that was 42 years ago. Lucky to remember my name on some days. 🤠

I get it about the memory fading thing. Same thing for me just walking into another room. I have heard some use the term "3/4 racing cam," but it really doesn't mean anything because a "racing cam" isn't absolute. I guess someone is trying to guess it is somewhere half way between a stock camshaft and low vacuum lumpy stick. We build high performance engines for the street and race cars that are on the literal edge. Camshafts are normally referred to by lift, duration, and lobe separation. Even with these we have to be concerned with valve to piston clearance, ramp rates, spring pressures, hydraulic/solid/roller lifters, base circles, degrees advanced, etc.... That is why it makes it difficult to say what is 3/4's of that in my opinion.

The 1974 455 was a square bore (bore and stroke were more or less equal). This was more of a torquer motor rather than a high revving engine which bodes well to the tall gear you had in the car and taller tires it appears. I am surprised that the engine builder put a 650 cfm carb on that many cubic inches especially after adding another 8 to 10 with the larger bore. It would make it a stoplight to stoplight beast, but wouldn't breath well at the upper RPMs. It would take a lot of RPMs for that beast to push the aerodynamics of a 1974 Firebird anywhere close to 145 or 150 mph in my opinion.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah, I remember when talking to other car guys in the 80's when I was really into that stuff, that there would always be some yahoo who would hear us mention something about fast cars who would butt in and talk about their buddy/relative/ friend of a friend, who had a "3/4 race cam" and his car was the fastest, baddest, etc. It was always obvious that the person butting in had no idea what he was talking about and that it was a real whopper he was telling us. Now, there may have been an actual thing that existed somewhere, but when I would scour all the sources I knew, no one could tell me what one was.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bhemry
Yeah, I remember when talking to other car guys in the 80's when I was really into that stuff, that there would always be some yahoo who would hear us mention something about fast cars who would butt in and talk about their buddy/relative/ friend of a friend, who had a "3/4 race cam" and his car was the fastest, baddest, etc. It was always obvious that the person butting in had no idea what he was talking about and that it was a real whopper he was telling us. Now, there may have been an actual thing that existed somewhere, but when I would scour all the sources I knew, no one could tell me what one was.

It was pretty much a term guy's who were not gearheads used to describe a cam a little hotter than stock, Didn't know the specs on the cam.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dodge makes the fastest production vehicles period.

Only if you can not afford a corvette !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Anyhow.......

We all hung out together and spent every Saturday night we could at the local drag strip. My car with the rebuilt engine would run in the low 13’s on the strip.

I just remember it as s term the local hot rod crowd and mechanics I hung out with used.
I can’t remember the brand and version of the camshaft that my mechanic used in the engine build. Wished my memory was that good. 😬
That’s what we referred to back then as a Cam you could still use on the street, and for normal every day driving, but was much more high performance than a stock camshaft.
A racing cam back then made your engine’s idle way too rough when you were sitting at the red light before it changes.
An engine with a full racing cam always sounded like they were about to sputter and die at idle RPM’s. They made your engine sound like it was about to run out of gas, until you got above idle RPM.

I can’t recall the tire size. I know I put on set of air shocks so they wouldn’t rub on the fender wells.
Seems like the tires were Goodrich. I also put a set of Custom Crome Rocket brand Spoke wheels on it. The type that had like 5 big spokes. Not those bicycle type spoke wheels you see on cars in “da hood”.

I get it about the memory fading thing. Same thing for me just walking into another room. I have heard some use the term "3/4 racing cam," but it really doesn't mean anything because a "racing cam" isn't absolute. I guess someone is trying to guess it is somewhere half way between a stock camshaft and low vacuum lumpy stick. We build high performance engines for the street and race cars that are on the literal edge. Camshafts are normally referred to by lift, duration, and lobe separation. Even with these we have to be concerned with valve to piston clearance, ramp rates, spring pressures, hydraulic/solid/roller lifters, base circles, degrees advanced, etc.... That is why it makes it difficult to say what is 3/4's of that in my opinion.

The 1974 455 was a square bore (bore and stroke were more or less equal). This was more of a torquer motor rather than a high revving engine which bodes well to the tall gear you had in the car and taller tires it appears. I am surprised that the engine builder put a 650 cfm carb on that many cubic inches especially after adding another 8 to 10 with the larger bore. It would make it a stoplight to stoplight beast, but wouldn't breath well at the upper RPMs. It would take a lot of RPMs for that beast to push the aerodynamics of a 1974 Firebird anywhere close to 145 or 150 mph in my opinion.

Thanks for the clarification LongBob. I knew it wasn’t the correct or proper terminology for the Camshaft, but that’s just what stuck in my mind from 40 something years ago. Wish I could remember the exact Cam mfg and model, but it’s been too long.

And if I recall correctly, about 5000 or 5500 was redlining on that original SD 455 Factory Engine.
It could have benefited greatly from a 5th or overdrive gear for top end speed. Like I mentioned, that’s how I blew the original engine.
They were nothing like the small block Chevy engines of that era that you could push the RPM’s way up there, without worrying as much about engine failure.
Seems like a lifetime ago and my driving habits have changed significantly. In fact, I’m probably one of those that others bitch about when they pass my old farm truck for driving too slow. 🤠

Last edited by chlinstructor; 02/09/22.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by sidepass
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard
500HP at 12am with four boys no older than 22, what could go wrong.

2 were pulled from the burning wreck.

Just like pulled pork !

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bhemry

It was pretty much a term guy's who were not gearheads used to describe a cam a little hotter than stock, Didn't know the specs on the cam.

Agreed Roger. I was only interested in the outcome at that time, and damn sure wasn’t a qualified, or even a “shade tree” mechanic or gear head.
That’s why I paid someone well that actually knew what they were doing to build my second motor for my T/A.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My Mom bought an orange 74 Gremlin when the >OMG we're running out of fossil fuel, jimma carter crew was in charge.
Hers was a 3.8ltr, Aunt had a 4.2ltr. neither ever had problems with them.

This orange Gremlin runs pretty good.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Cheering for a fast Gremlin is like bragging about your love for gay midget porn, its just wrong !

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jimy

Lol, read back.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Lol, read back.

There will always be a Corvette available to dust your ass, its just about the cash , the past or the track the bow tie will win it !

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you have the cash they will build it !

The October 12, 2006 issue of AutoWeek published photos by photographer Chris Doane of a C6 Z06 with special auto-manufacturer-issued license plates with a hood bulge, widely thought to confirm the presence of a supercharger on the Blue Devil. Other names attached to the project included Corvette SS, after the late '50 racing car,[14] and Corvette Z07.[15] In February 2007, a worker at a Michigan shipping company posted pictures online of a powertrain development mule that was being shipped to Germany, believed to be part of the Blue Devil program. The car had manufacturer's license plates, carbon-ceramic disc brakes, enlarged fender vents, a hood bulge, and an engine with a positive-displacement supercharger in the valley between the cylinder banks and a water-to-air intercooler atop it. GM began to release details on the Blue Devil project in April 2007. The company confirmed the existence of the project in an interview with Car and Driver on April 13. Engine power levels were confirmed to be between 600 and 700 horsepower (447 and 522 kW), but contrary to prior rumors of a supercharged 6.2 liter engine, the engine was only confirmed to have greater displacement than the 7.0 liter LS7 in the Z06.[16] Motor Trend confirmed the official name for the production version of the Blue Devil, resurrecting the old ZR1 nameplate. The ZR1 had originally been used on developmental cars in 1971, and again as ZR-1 as the top of the line variant of the C4 Corvette.[17] General Motors officially introduced the Corvette ZR1 on December 19, giving a press release and photographs of the car. GM confirmed a supercharged 6.2 L LS9 V8 having a power output of 638 hp (647 PS; 476 kW) at 6,500 rpm and 604 lb⋅ft (819 N⋅m) of torque at 3,800 rpm. A test of the ZR1 on the German autobahn revealed a top speed of 192 mph (309 km/h), although the manufacturer claims the car is engineered to attain speeds up to 205 mph (330 km/h).[18]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Anyhow.......

Agree.
You can have a 5,000HP engine, if it's turning the same RPM as a 250HP engine the car will go the same speed. Although the 5,000HP engine will get there a little faster. smile

Cars back in the 60-70-80's had 1 to 1 gear ratios and ran about 2500rpm at highway speeds. GM Turbo 350/400 three speeds [other makers too] 4 speed cars etc. don't compare to speeds modern 6-7-8-10 speed cars can attain.
The 93 Corvette I mentioned would top 170mph in 5th gear, 4th gear is a 1 to 1 ratio, 5th is .50 to 1 ratio and is where the big speed is made.

IF the car had an engine powerful enough to REDLINE 6th gear which is considered double over-drive gear, .25 to 1 ratio, the car would be traveling 320mph. Although the ZF- 6speed transmission couldn't handle that level of torque/HP.

Back in the mid 80's Andy Granatelli, was trying to break 230mph/? with the 3rd generation camaro. He was at 211mph, needed 19 more mph. Camaro was making 700+ ''wheel hp'' and computer-generated data showed it need 250+ more horsepower, for 19 more mph. I was amazed that computers did that kind of stuff and that it took that much more HP to push the car through the wind at those speeds.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you have the cash they will build it !

The October 12, 2006 issue of AutoWeek published photos by photographer Chris Doane of a C6 Z06 with special auto-manufacturer-issued license plates with a hood bulge, widely thought to confirm the presence of a supercharger on the Blue Devil. Other names attached to the project included Corvette SS, after the late '50 racing car,[14] and Corvette Z07.[15] In February 2007, a worker at a Michigan shipping company posted pictures online of a powertrain development mule that was being shipped to Germany, believed to be part of the Blue Devil program. The car had manufacturer's license plates, carbon-ceramic disc brakes, enlarged fender vents, a hood bulge, and an engine with a positive-displacement supercharger in the valley between the cylinder banks and a water-to-air intercooler atop it. GM began to release details on the Blue Devil project in April 2007. The company confirmed the existence of the project in an interview with Car and Driver on April 13. Engine power levels were confirmed to be between 600 and 700 horsepower (447 and 522 kW), but contrary to prior rumors of a supercharged 6.2 liter engine, the engine was only confirmed to have greater displacement than the 7.0 liter LS7 in the Z06.[16] Motor Trend confirmed the official name for the production version of the Blue Devil, resurrecting the old ZR1 nameplate. The ZR1 had originally been used on developmental cars in 1971, and again as ZR-1 as the top of the line variant of the C4 Corvette.[17] General Motors officially introduced the Corvette ZR1 on December 19, giving a press release and photographs of the car. GM confirmed a supercharged 6.2 L LS9 V8 having a power output of 638 hp (647 PS; 476 kW) at 6,500 rpm and 604 lb⋅ft (819 N⋅m) of torque at 3,800 rpm. A test of the ZR1 on the German autobahn revealed a top speed of 192 mph (309 km/h), although the manufacturer claims the car is engineered to attain speeds up to 205 mph (330 km/h).[18]
so not off the showroom floor. Lol my 78 yr old aunt has a Z06

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Jimy,
Howdy.
The C-4 ZR-1's 90 - 95 were a flop, buddy of mine had every year except the 94. His Dad passed away and left him $800-900K.
Owners modified them a bit but they just didn't have what was needed, that's why the platform was abandoned after a few short years. Hello ""LS"", the king of affordable street engines.

Posted by Bristoe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Chrysler guys should be talking about the Viper.

Posted by Bristoe
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (17CalFan, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,698
Posts18,475,238
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.