Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Art loves Springfield.

So much so I got rid of my last one last week. Felt like I needed to go to blowing buffalo for a nickle a herd to regain my self esteem once I got rid of it!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Sitka,
Sled builder/Iditarod musher Rick Armstrong used a 44 special. It was some sort of compact light-weight charter arms.

Slim, with a 5 shot cylinder, and only 22-25 oz. 7m not familiar with them though.

Anyhow, springfield takes the cake at 27 oz with this newly released fiesty compact:

https://www.springfield-armory.com/.../xd-m-elite-38-compact-osp-10mm-handgun/

Looked at them at SHOT, pretty sure I shot it a bit, but took no notes on it. They are on my "Do Not Consider List."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sitka,
Sled builder/Iditarod musher Rick Armstrong used a 44 special. It was some sort of compact light-weight charter arms.

Slim, with a 5 shot cylinder, and only 22-25 oz. 7m not familiar with them though.

Anyhow, springfield takes the cake at 27 oz with this newly released fiesty compact:

Have shot quite a few deer and pigs with our charter arms 44 special bulldog SS 5 shot gun. Light. Well fairly anyway. compact enough.
But I'd not go hunting etc... without spare ammo. 5 isn't really much. One should be enough but life doesn't follow rules

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Sitka,

Looked at them at SHOT, pretty sure I shot it a bit, but took no notes on it. They are on my "Do Not Consider List."

The Springfield has some really good words from one of the guys in Delta that bought one. Likes it more than Glock, but I have no issues with our Glocks. He did have to unfortunately take down a bull with the Springfield this winter and it worked like it should have. Not sure I can find and trnasfer the reviews from faux book. But it was good enough that I'll buy one just to play with eventually and see.

Personally the Glock 20 does anything we need it to but I don't mind playing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Watkins: "She said no musher would ever travel with a rifle or a large caliber gun, instead preferring to scare off animals with a flare gun. And with all the jostling of the sled, the larger guns could easily go off".

I can understand not wanting to carry excess weight of a rifle but this is idiotic!

Last edited by 257Bob; 02/10/22.
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And she equates carrying a larger caliber on the sled with "going hunting".

Apparently she ascribes to the "carry hot" syndrome. And "flock shooting"

Emptying a light handgun into a moose chest ain't gonna cut It- needs a 'tween the eyes. Someone should have quoted Raurk to her.

Wanna bet how she votes?

Seems to me she hadn't thought her real world "dog care" through. Walt Disney/Hollywood lives!

Last edited by las; 02/10/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Walt Disney lives know truer statement. >>there is getting to be way too many Lollypop snowflakes that is for sure !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Played with the new "FoldAR" pistol at SHOT. It would fit easily in a sled and would give a lot of options in cartridges, magazines, optics, and so on. Worth looking at...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
And she equates carrying a larger caliber on the sled with "going hunting".

Apparently she ascribes to the "carry hot" syndrome. And "flock shooting"

Emptying a light handgun into a moose chest ain't gonna cut It- needs a 'tween the eyes. Someone should have quoted Raurk to her.

Wanna bet how she votes?

Seems to me she hadn't thought her real world "dog care" through. Walt Disney/Hollywood lives!

Are we getting her thoughts? Or could the "reporter's" filter be changing the story?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Point!

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Played with the new "FoldAR" pistol at SHOT. It would fit easily in a sled and would give a lot of options in cartridges, magazines, optics, and so on. Worth looking at...

Fold AR. Will have to google. Thought I saw one but it was class 3 only which would be a shame.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Most hard cold parkas designed for 30-60 below, there is no way a chest holster will work. Also, if you have to untangle dogs, or break up a fight, all those straps would catch on neck and tuglines......pure stupidity.

All the hard cold parkas, I own: apocolypse design,northern outfitters, poshhouse and canada goose.

All of them have sufficient pockets for a small pistol.

Regarding places for a long gun in a dog sled:

When the sled is packed full, there is no place to put a long gun. Reluctantly and stupidly, i used to sling a rifle while driving a team, then shove the rifle in the cavity of a gutted caribou a few years back.

The BEST place to put a rifle is right under the handle, vertically in a scabbard. When you crash the sled, it is fully protected. I got so desperate, i even considered 7.62 bullpups and folding guns like what Art is talking about!

Luckily, i built my sled to have proper handle bar height for a 6 ft man, giving room for a 38-40 inch rifle.

The folding 243/410 chiappa is another good considerarion:

https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail?itemno=CI500.212

The compact bolt guns from ruger would be ideal,with the shorter length of pull for absurdly thick parkas, and shorter overall length:

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleCompact/specSheets/6907.html

https://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeCompact/specSheets/37139.html

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
410 snake charmer with slugs? Single shot, tho.

Last edited by las; 02/10/22.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How about something like a short barreled AR10 in 308 with a collapsable stock and open sights? With even a 10 rd mag, that's a fair bit of firepower, accurate, compact and lightweight.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by las
Any "little" thing can piss 'em off. It was early June, and things were greening up, so winter -stress should have been going away....

I went out on the carport to tighten rivets on the aluminum flat bottom boat. Ornery - a 2 year old bull - was bedded about 40yards away. I banged away at a few rivets and looked up in time to see him coming full bore, hackles up, ears down. I was about 6 steps from the door and barely made it to slam in his face. He stood there, literally with his face pressed against the window glass. He had rammed the edge of the deck stairs in turning the corner, and knocked my Pentax SLR film camera off onto the concrete, busting it all to hell.

He was an extraordinarily bad tempered moose, having charged virtually everyone in the neighborhood without much provocation. That made twice for me .

I think my neighbor (a bit of a renegade himself) poached and ate him shortly there-after.

Good riddance.

I think my neighbor (a bit of a renegade himself) poached and ate him shortly there-after.

Good riddance.

I would have shot him (the moose) on the first incident. Doesn’t make sense to wait till he kills or injures someone

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I haven't read it all. but didn't she run out of ammo. Is it that hard to stick a box of ammo somewhere in a pack. You know something you could get to if you had to. 5-10 holes in the lung area something will eventually loose pressure. Well before an hour and others have to show up.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rost495
I haven't read it all. but didn't she run out of ammo. Is it that hard to stick a box of ammo somewhere in a pack. You know something you could get to if you had to. 5-10 holes in the lung area something will eventually loose pressure. Well before an hour and others have to show up.

She had a measly little 380 that didn’t even phase the moose.

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
this lady may run dogs and lives in Alaska but she is just foolish in a big wild country ,yes she should have a scabbard with a short barrel AR 10 / 308 and at least a 357 revolver in a holster on her but some people just don`t think safety for them self`s , family or their dogs. i have always told my family including my grandkids now : i am your safety line in the woods , on the water and if in a town or a city grandpa is your protection .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=127
This is a pretty stout load for .380. I'd still not be packing it for self-defense against a moose though.

Life is good live it while you can.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,139
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.