Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Can't even imagine the horror of watching the poor guy get eaten by a 14' Great White, that had to be traumatizing for those that witnessed it.

Great White attack

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
And even more so for the victim. Lady here in Maine got the big chop two summers ago by a White. Happened 10 feet from her daughter. Nearly bitten in two.

The way life should be.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Damn, the gulls were on it from the start too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes your number is just up. Death by shark is pretty rare, I'd be more worried about being shot by my girl friends husband slipping out the bedroom window after he came home early.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The second you enter the ocean, you just went to the bottom of the food chain! My scuba instructor told me that in 1966. Still enters my mind, every time I see the ocean.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
That worthless video shows nothing, why even put it in the article? F u cking idiots.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 02/16/22.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Damn. One of our sons lives here, two blocks from the beach. Surfs all the time. This sucks.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That guy was not a good photographer.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
swimming in the ocean lost a lot of its appeal to me after all the shark attacks all around us on the outer banks a couple of years ago. the day we got to avalon we hit the beach and wondered why hardly anybody was swimming. come to find out a guy right down the beach got a chunk taken out of his ass right before that. same trip some kid got their arm chomped off on a mainland beach. funny how the local news never said anything about it. had to read about it on the internet news.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back when I was a punk and living on Guam there were several sharks that seemed interested in making a meal of me. There is nothing quite so swift in altering intent than a speargun.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Back when I was a punk and living on Guam there were several sharks that seemed interested in making a meal of me. There is nothing quite so swift in altering intent than a speargun.

Maybe a boomstick?

Oops, bangstick

Last edited by ironbender; 02/16/22.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
That is not a usual area of Sydney for swimmers. Had to look it up as I never heard of it and I was born there.

All Sydney swimming beaches are netted off which is why there has been no shark attacks there for 60+ years. That was the alarm bell, which meant that the location stated had to be wrong in some way. The area of the attack is open water outside Sydney Heads and no-one with a brain would swim in that unprotected water.

Secondly, Every Aussie knows that wearing a wet suit is ringing the dinner bell as you look like a seal, the White Sharks' main prey.
Completely avoidable death.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Maybe a boomstick?

Oops, bangstick

Oh GI, bang stick kirr bad boys vewy quick. Where is fun? You can't change a mind when you brow it arr to pieces!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Posted that video unedited on FB this morning.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
What's your name again?
Chrissie!
Where are we going?
Swimming!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heym06
The second you enter the ocean, you just went to the bottom of the food chain! My scuba instructor told me that in 1966. Still enters my mind, every time I see the ocean.

This struck me as I was swimming in that cold, emerald-colored water near Ensenada on the west coast of the Baja on a February. A couple hundred yards out, it struck me that this was a wintering area of some of the world’s Great Whites. I admit to feeling half frantic as I scrambled up on the beach.

The scary thing about the water there, though a beautiful blue-green, it was opaque and you couldn’t see your hand a foot under the surface.

Cured me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I can’t imagine swimming there in an unprotected area.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Reason 361 to stay the hell out of the ocean.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
That is not a usual area of Sydney for swimmers. Had to look it up as I never heard of it and I was born there.

All Sydney swimming beaches are netted off which is why there has been no shark attacks there for 60+ years. That was the alarm bell, which meant that the location stated had to be wrong in some way. The area of the attack is open water outside Sydney Heads and no-one with a brain would swim in that unprotected water.

Secondly, Every Aussie knows that wearing a wet suit is ringing the dinner bell as you look like a seal, the White Sharks' main prey.
Completely avoidable death.

I've swum at Little Bay. It is not far from Maroubra, and quite close to Malabar Rifle Range. It is one of a whole string of beaches down the coast in Sydney, and quite near the entrance to Botany Bay.

In relation to meshing, this is not at every beach, but only selected beaches, and not there every day. The meshing doesn't go all the way along a beach either, nor provide a complete barrier. It is only there to discourage big sharks from settling in. There are any number of ocean baths, either netted enclosures on the beach (usually about the size of an Olympic pool) or dug into the rock, so those who want to be in a fenced area have that as an option, but if you are going to surf or bodysurf or snorkel you are out there where the blokes in grey suits live.

Wearing a wetsuit, splashing around off rocks where seals may be found, that may have been a factor. Getting well out by yourself too. It may have been that the shark mistook the victim for a seal. Having said that I've spearfished off that same bit of coastline, in a wetsuit, and while I've seen sharks they've left me alone and I them.

The risk is really very small - the last fatal attack in Sydney was in the '60s. Nasty if you are the one they hit, but not something to worry about really.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,179 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,789
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.