Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
my rd 358 brush gun has ser # 358 1 in shorter but stock slimmer and raised comb straight grip barrel address savage arms westfield mass usa . caliber stamped back by receiver. David where did you acquire that prototype CD ? LOL cant wait for the new book. also lettered by callahan

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got it from Loggah's brother Dick when I was visiting them for pics and info for my first book. I'm a bigger fan of the earlier rifles but my wife will have to dispose of that one after I'm in the grave.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
David topnotch99 is aka loggahs brother Dick . hope everthing is going well. including your issues with the publisher.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll try to remember your handle Dick. Thanks for selling it to me. It's a nice one.

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Went to a great home. I think Loggah is still a little pissssed . not on here much setting home bored dealing with the VIRUS !!!

IC B2

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by topnotch99
not on here much setting home bored dealing with the VIRUS !!!
Good time to think up and ask some questions about Savages.. grin

Like why was 1899 production so low in 1916 (2000 rifles?), but then climbed in 1917(6000+ rifles?)? It shut down in 1918.. but was WWI the reason in 1916? Economy?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many were produced in 1915? If it was 8,000 then you have your answer for the dip in 1916. grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
From serial number ranges..

1913 - 17,000+
1914 - almost 16,000
1915 - almost 16,000
1916 - about 2,000
1917 - about 6,000

If 1916 was due to war production for Euro countries, I'd have expected 1917 to stay down.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Perhaps in anticipation of the war, they were assembling all parts on hand so they could sell completed guns out of inventory during the war?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Could be. However, no 1899's appear to have been shipped during 1918. Some 99's were shipped during WWII, supposedly put together with leftover parts. Savage could do this because they stayed ahead of schedule on producing war material.

wyo1895
[email protected]

IC B3

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like it was likely due to ramping up Lewis machinegun sales to Canada. They must have caught up by 1917 and managed to hire some folks for doing civilian arms production - and then in later 1917 the US military started ordering Lewis machineguns and everything got shut down until 1919.

In regards to a query from the US Ordnance Department:
Under date of December 28, 1915, after another inquiry, Mr. Greene (sales manager) wrote:
"We acknowledge your letter of the 23d, in which you ask if we can furnish you with one Savage Lewis machine gun. We are, of course, most anxious to furnish the Department not only with one Savage-Lewis gun, but with a considerable quantity, but at the present moment our output is all engaged, deliveries just now being due the Department of Militia and Defense at Ottawa, and we do not feel at liberty to divert even one gun from the contract deliveries."

In response to another effort of the Department, Mr. A. A. Borie, president of the Savage Arms Company, wrote under date of January 27, 1916:
"I regret to inform you that such a sale at the present time is impossible on account of other commitments made by this company. We trust, however, in the near future to be able to deliver a Lewis machine gun to the Department for the purpose of test by the Department, and will notify you in regard to this as soon as possible."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They made a few pistols.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Looks like it was likely due to ramping up Lewis machinegun sales to Canada. They must have caught up by 1917 and managed to hire some folks for doing civilian arms production - and then in later 1917 the US military started ordering Lewis machineguns and everything got shut down until 1919.

In regards to a query from the US Ordnance Department:
Under date of December 28, 1915, after another inquiry, Mr. Greene (sales manager) wrote:
"We acknowledge your letter of the 23d, in which you ask if we can furnish you with one Savage Lewis machine gun. We are, of course, most anxious to furnish the Department not only with one Savage-Lewis gun, but with a considerable quantity, but at the present moment our output is all engaged, deliveries just now being due the Department of Militia and Defense at Ottawa, and we do not feel at liberty to divert even one gun from the contract deliveries."

In response to another effort of the Department, Mr. A. A. Borie, president of the Savage Arms Company, wrote under date of January 27, 1916:
"I regret to inform you that such a sale at the present time is impossible on account of other commitments made by this company. We trust, however, in the near future to be able to deliver a Lewis machine gun to the Department for the purpose of test by the Department, and will notify you in regard to this as soon as possible."

This doesn't sound very patriotic. What was Savage doing, holding out for more money?

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wyo1895
This doesn't sound very patriotic. What was Savage doing, holding out for more money?

No it was politics as you may guess.
Short story: The inventor Isacc Newton Lewis was turned down by U.S. officials so he went across the pond to Belgium where the gun was adapted and became known as the Belgium Rattlesnake ~1914.
The U.S. woke up eventually, Savage got a contract, etc.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wyo1895

Savage needed to decide between fulfilling their contracts for Lewis guns in 303 British, or taking resources away from that to modify and create the tooling to create a Lewis gun in 30-06. Considering the US Army had for 5 years been refusing to buy the Lewis machinegun and indeed insulted it every time they evaluated it, screwing up the existing contract for an army that was actively engaged in war (the US wasn't in the war at that point) would have been really stupid.

The US Army had evaluated the Lewis gun in 1912, they didn't want it. It wasn't until Britain was handing out Lewis guns at the squad level that the US Army realized they had a ridiculously low stock of machineguns if we went to war. The US Army didn't even think machineguns were needed that much in war until the trench warfare in WWI showed them how critical they were.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The US Navy was the first to buy Savage Arms Lewis guns for the Marines... but even then, the Marines didn't get to use them as they were taken away after landing in Europe.

In 1916, (at the urging of Edward B. Cole, the “father” of Marine Corps machine guns) the U.S. Navy decided to adopt the Lewis light machine gun, which was then being manufactured for the British by the Savage Arms Co. in Utica, N.Y. An American invention, but produced and used overseas because of a long-standing feud between its inventor, Col. Isaac N. Lewis, and Gen. William Crozier, the U.S. Army’s Chief of Ordnance, the new American version of the bipod-mounted, shoulder-fired machine gun was, like the ’03 Springfield rifle, chambered in .30-’06 Sprg. Firing 47 rounds out of its distinctive top-mounted drum magazine, the air-cooled Lewis gun quickly became a favorite of Marines training at Quantico, and handcarts were developed (again by Cole) to carry the guns into battle.

However, after landing in France, the Marines’ Lewis guns were taken away from them and replaced with the questionable French Chauchat automatic rifle and the Hotchkiss heavy machine gun. Although, at the time, the Marines were furious at this the turn of events, in hindsight, the change is understandable. Maintaining a supply of replacement parts for Lewis guns would have been more than difficult for the single brigade of Marines within an Army division, and that division being one of at least 40 divisions within the Services of Supply for the entire American Expeditionary Forces. Moreover, Lewis guns were badly needed by the fledgling U.S. Air Service in France, and the Marines’ Lewis guns were used to arm observation biplanes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great info! I hate politics. We jarheads are always on the bottom. Our superiors in the 70's said we did the mostest with the leastest.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I think it's safe to say that Col. Isaac N. Lewis and Gen. William Crozier pretty much hated each other. Some speculation that Crozier was jealous of Lewis having his name on a firearm and determined to keep the guns out of the US military.

Lewis dragged Crozier through the mud after Crozier said in 1916 that the Lewis gun couldn't be adapted to fire "American" (30-06") ammunition. Lewis retorted that Crozier knew that was a flat out lie, because Crozier himself had fired the test guns in 1912 and they were in 30-06.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Does anyone happen to know who purchased that pair of guns at the rock Island auction?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have an unfired 99-358 that looks the same, but mine has a straight stock.

NRA Benefactor member
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,588
Posts18,473,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.