Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Hey y'all, I'm screwing an unfired 6.5 creedmoor CTR barrel on my tikka action and adding a KRG Bravo chassis. I've played around at 1000 yds with my previous stock tikka T3 lite many times and had a bunch of fun. The biggest problem I encountered was my fixed 10 power SS scope I have was lacking in spotting hits at 1000 yds. Basically I was playing on the cheap and couldn't really justify spending the dollars for a more expensive scope. Since I'm making an upgrade I'm now ready to spend some money on some glass.

So, what scopes have you guys used that will spot hits with a 6.5 sized bullet at 1000 yds? What bullets have you had the best results with? I always liked the 147 eld. I'm looking to enter a few competitions just for fun so I am willing to spend whatever it takes to do so in a realistic way.

Thank you kindly and your welcome in advance

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 02/20/22.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
IME, a 10x works` just fine.

What kind of back stop?

Shoot with a spotter behind you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What type of competition?

Spotting hits and misses really depends on having the right steel/paint and the right background. The 10x SS is enough to spot hits and misses. If looking for more, the LRHS2, SS 5-20x, or DMR3 would by my choices, depending on the application. The NF ATACR 4-16x or 5-25x would be a contender, too, depending on budget and application.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The scope I use is a spotting scope. Mine is a Swarovski but any brand from Kowa, Leica, etc will be fine.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Even on a higher mag variable I find myself down at 10-12x more often than not once the mirage comes up.

Target set up and back drop start getting more important the further out you go as well.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I rather enjoy how "REAL" the Delusions are,to her. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
What type of competition?

Spotting hits and misses really depends on having the right steel/paint and the right background. The 10x SS is enough to spot hits and misses. If looking for more, the LRHS2, SS 5-20x, or DMR3 would by my choices, depending on the application. The NF ATACR 4-16x or 5-25x would be a contender, too, depending on budget and application.

I'm joining up with the NW Montana 1000 yd club. I'll be shooting IBS thousand yard competitions. That's where I want to start. It'll be a lot of fun and a learning experience. I've been asked to join for a few years now and finally going to do it purely for the association. I also prefer to not be a "big stick" in the mud continually bregging but refusing to quantify my skill level.....Pun intended! The reason I'm second guessing scope selection is because I spend a lot of time practicing alone without a spotter and for some reason have had a touph time spotting for myself. Perhaps a different scope will help maybe not

Thanks for taking an interest Jordan its much appreciated my friend

Last edited by Trystan; 02/20/22.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Higginez
Even on a higher mag variable I find myself down at 10-12x more often than not once the mirage comes up.

Target set up and back drop start getting more important the further out you go as well.

Ive always stuck with lower power scopes to negate the mirage and have had great results. I could see myself with some alpha glass running it on 10 power the entire time. I shoot alone a fair amount of time so often don't have a spotter. For this reason I'm thinking of upgrading glass since I struggle to spot for myself. Might be an unrealistic approach

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trystain,

Imaginary Glass,mounted upon Imaginary Rifles,"shooting" Imaginary Bullets...ain't gonna "change" your Imaginary "Pursuits". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The best value for the dollar IME is Sightron SIII 6-24 or 8-32, FFP or SFP. Mount it with Burris signature XTR rings with the plastic inserts and and set it up so the travel is bottomed out just below your zero, leaving the scopes entire travel for long range shooting. I have at least 10 of these and have never had a single issue tracking out past a mile.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
THAT ain't happenin' either. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Originally Posted by Boxer

Sightron is absolute dog schit [bleep] junk and they wouldn't even make a decent Fish Knocker.

But cheer up...BSA sells alotta scopes

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...cope-my-dpms-bull-barrel-pig#Post8926296

I thought you "shoot them all, and don't have to guess." Were you lying then, or are you lying now about Sightron?? LOL.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
slums,

I musta' "missed" where same was "lauded"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint.

Bless your heart for "living" so very vicariously. HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh, so you use "dog schit junk" scopes?

Times must be tough for you. Head to S Naknek in a couple months, maybe you can pick fish for some extra money???

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
slums,

I shoot an open mind,with a Bank Account you couldn't begin to fhuqking fathom...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Again,cite where same was "lauded",beings you spend EVERY minute,of EVERY day,Fantasizing about me. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh, and you can save your breath on a reply -
Yada Yada imagination and pretend
Yada Yada couch, window-licker
Yada Yada hard-charger

Yada Yada laughing

Boy, that was easy.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You're so predictable!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
slums,

Funny how very WELL you know your place...you 'lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Same ole, same ole.

Hint
Pretend
Congrats?
Laughing.

Are you a bot? Cause your repeated act lost any originality the same time you stopped lauding Leopold and the 30stw!

Look, I know you're stuck, cause if you admit SIII's are solid scopes, especially for the $, you're admitting I was right all along and you were just guessing when you called them "dog schit". But, if you still say they're "dog schit" now, you'll be lying and anyone who has actually used an SIII will know your opinion doesn't mean squat.

Let me guess your reply -

Horned up
Imagination
Congrats?
Laughing

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
slums,

I've only got 100's and 100's of scopes and I get it,that (3) is a LOT to you and your ilk...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I musta' missed it,how many times a day do you think about me,on the "average"? Is it in your latest Hurt Feelers Report? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,400
Posts18,470,126
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.