S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Anybody ever try something like this ?

..[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Swamplord

Nice wood and all around nice

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Swamplord

Seems like I've heard this story before....member "A" wants his stock modified with a cartridge trap and other work then sends his stock to member "B"....member "B" then ghosts member "A" and the stock is never seen again. ...or something like that.

History aside, that is some gorgeous work and beautiful wood.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I;m one of those guys that always has more than enough ammo "just in case" . Couple extra magazines for those rifles that use them, a big fan of the uncle mikes carriers. For my Savage 99's I bought from Midway a cheek piece riser that holds ten or so rounds on the off side, and gets my head up to the scope better. For tomorrow's coyote foray I've loaded up my drilling belt that I bought from Falcon Leather from I think Slovakia.It holds 5 rifle ctgs in a covered pouch, and 20 shot shells, so I have 10 loads of 16ga BB, 20 rounds of #7 1/2 in case I decide to call crows, and 5, 7X65R rounds if the coyotes hang up. Also I have a few real nice belt slide type carriers for shot shells and rifle cartridges , and one for combo guns from "Happy Fox" in Lithuwania . Searching on line I have found some real practical hunting stuff from eastern Europe, at pretty reasonable prices. Still also use the Federal carriers . Come to think of it I have a drawer full ! LOL

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If mag fed i carry an extra loaded mag. Otherwise i have 5 rounds wrapped with a rubberband in the pack. I have no desire to carry any more weight than needed. I would rather have extra water than extra ammo.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've been wanting to try out one of the Cole-Tac cartridge carriers for a while but I haven't gotten around to it. Years ago I took a factory ammo box and cut down the plastic sleeve to hold 3, 4 or 5 cartridges like several other members mention. These work great. I keep one in the bottom pouch of my AGC bino pouch and another in the side pocket for easy access if needed. Haven't found much need to change the system in years. My only issue is that I don't buy factory ammo much at all so I don't have any "replacement" material. I guess I'll just have to bum some from someone if I ever have a need.

The five rounder that I keep in my bottom pouch.

[Linked Image]

A four rounder fits perfect in this mesh side pocket...wind indicator and a lens pen are in the opposite mesh pocket.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Fabric or leather 10 round belt carrier I slip in my pocket or pack. If you are worried about jingling around, tape 3-4 rounds together with masking tape and throw in your pocket

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about stripper clips that come in 308/30-06 size (5 rounds) or 223 size (10 rounds). Many common cartridges fit those two sizes.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
For my rifles that take a detachable mag I just carry a spare in my coat pocket.
For rifles without detachable mags, I carry my spare ammo in one of these type of ammo carriers. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939598824?pid=716216

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
On my double rifles and levers I get a custom leather butt cuff made with shell loops. Otherwise I take those plastic shell holders in the federal ammo boxes and cut it down to like 4-5 shells. Works well, doesn’t rattle, and if I lose it so what.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
I've been wanting to try out one of the Cole-Tac cartridge carriers for a while but I haven't gotten around to it. Years ago I took a factory ammo box and cut down the plastic sleeve to hold 3, 4 or 5 cartridges like several other members mention. These work great. I keep one in the bottom pouch of my AGC bino pouch and another in the side pocket for easy access if needed. Haven't found much need to change the system in years. My only issue is that I don't buy factory ammo much at all so I don't have any "replacement" material. I guess I'll just have to bum some from someone if I ever have a need.

The five rounder that I keep in my bottom pouch.

[Linked Image]

A four rounder fits perfect in this mesh side pocket...wind indicator and a lens pen are in the opposite mesh pocket.

[Linked Image]

Great idea

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Norma "Whitetail" ammo comes in pretty neat 5 round plastic carriers.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
An extra mag or I cut down the styrofom insert in an old 20 round ammo carton and the cut down the box to fit.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by KLM
An extra mag or I cut down the styrofom insert in an old 20 round ammo carton and the cut down the box to fit.

I use cut down soft plastic ones that come with some manus. sort of like they are supposed to be threaded on belt. not bulky.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Wrapids
The 10 round halves from Federal boxes work fine and protect quite well. I slip them in a pocket.

I cut those in "half" - 4 or 5 rounds - whatever fits on the stock, and tape this to the stock, with the cartridges lightly taped in as well. I've lost too many rounds with those POS elastic stock holders. I don't like anything in my pockets, but I have been known to carry one round in each pants side-pocket. I also sometimes carry several rounds loose, or with the first option in my fanny pack.It has cartridge loops inside, also, but I have found those to be more trouble than worth.

I recently ordered something or other, and it came with a bonus 2-round patch to stick on the stock, which I did. I'm still working on a way to secure the cartridges , however. It may come back off.

It's been decades since I've had to dip into my "spares", but it's good insurance!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,279
Posts18,486,792
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.