GB1

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Griffin Recce7.

Main reason I took the plunge was for shooting pigs. It was worth it, I get to save what hearing I have left and it seems to confuse the pigs. They run towards the shooter more often than not.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
looking at a silencerco harvester evo for my ar's and my tikka 6.5

FJB
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Kid, where are you hunting pigs in snow??

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oklahoma

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Didn’t realize there was such a population there. Dang things can live about anywhere I guess.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oh yeah we have scads of the bastards. I’ve killed about 20 in the last 5 weeks.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m trying to give the 55 Hornady HP a fair shake, slash use up what I have loaded. 😁

But frankly I’m of the opinion that terminally they suck. I shot three pigs with them tonight and while they died bullet performance was all over the map, just like I’ve found before.
This one was the best result. You can see the entry right to the left of the sling swivel. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
This is the almost exit to the left of the knife blade. You can see the two mangled shards of jacket on the hide, the were lodged in the thick hide. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I wouldn’t be so critical of them if they were consistent but I’ve had them do everything from grenade on a broadside shot on a pig to icepick a crow at under 100 yards. Maybe at 22-250 speeds they’re more predictable but not so much out of an 18” 223.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
69gr RMR Matchking knockoff that a fellow forum guy sent me to try out. Look close and you can see the entry under his eye and the exit back by the flank. He died. I need to find a pig that’ll hold still long enough to let me get in shooting range, was on a big bunch yesterday with the boy when the neighbor decided to shoot beer cans right before we got in range and they shagged out. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good to know on the Hornady 55 HP...Im about to experiment with some frangible bullets on hogs-head shots-and that isn't in the lineup, nor will it be.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by TheKid
69gr RMR Matchking knockoff that a fellow forum guy sent me to try out. Look close and you can see the entry under his eye and the exit back by the flank. He died. I need to find a pig that’ll hold still long enough to let me get in shooting range, was on a big bunch yesterday with the boy when the neighbor decided to shoot beer cans right before we got in range and they shagged out. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I've killed a couple coyotes with them so far. Knitting needle in, quarter out, that's catching shoulders. They don't seem to upset very quickly.

I'm curious to hear how the act on something with a bit more size

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Had a good drive home from work today. Started by shooting a coyote that was eating a on a pig carcass Out in a hayfield. He piled off in an abandoned gyp quarry when he saw me coming but I circled around and caught him out on the ice. One 55 Speer from about 150 yards had him spinning and biting, the second one through the shoulders settled him. No pics as he was out on about 1” of ice on the frozen quarry pond.

Went on toward the house and decided I’d make a quick walk up to a patch of switchgrass next to some milo stubble that I knew some pigs had been using to stay out of the north wind. Sure enough as soon as I got to the edge of the half acre of 4’ high grass I see a dark black object on the south side of the berm the fence is built on. A quick look with the bino showed it to be a big pig and he was just getting up out of his bed of grass he’d cut down and piled up. When he stood I gave him a 69gr RMR through the center of the shoulder and he folded in his tracks.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Entry. No exit and I wasn’t going diving for it at 19deg and in a stinking boar hog. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
After I took his picture and split him open I headed back the half mile to the truck. As I topped the hill I saw a familiar shape out in the Bermuda grass and the glass showed it to be a coyote. I crawled up behind some weeds in the fence line and grabbed my CritRcall. Didn’t take long and I had 3 coyotes right in my lap. I shot the first one at about 25 yards and rolled him and then switched to his pards. One of them was a big brindle colored one and I really wanted him but he ran straight towards a house that sits behind the hill so I held off.

A pretty good trip home from work anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kid what scope are you using?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
VXR 1.25-4 with the circle duplex

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good deal on this evenings hunt. Glad to hear the RMR did ok on the pig.

Did you use the same bullet on the coyote?

The few I shot went down hard but I caught shoulders on purpose. The kiddo has shot some coons and possums with them but they were head shots so not much to learn there.

I'm hoping those bullets turn out to be killers

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m actually not sure what bullet I used on the coyote. I had forgot I stuffed some of the RMRs in to top off a mag that had some of the Hornady 55gr HPs in it. I whiffed the first shot and hit him with the second and third as he put on the afterburner. I’d already shot some stuff with that mag last week and I’m not sure how many of the 69s were still in it, at least 3 for sure. Whatever the second and third shots were they both ice picked though no bones were encountered.

I would have opened the pig a little further for the sake of science. But as I mentioned it was pretty cold and if you look in the pic right above my scope there’s a knot on his side. Turns out that was full of puss when I rolled his hide back, talk about stink. Dammit

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
No need to go exploring in something like that, sounds nasty.

I'm sure you will get plenty of others to experiment on. If you need another handful of those bullets send me a PM.

I hope to shoot some vermin and a coyote or two with them this weekend

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
This is why I consider the 55 Hornady SP one of the best 223 bullets for all uses.

Snuck up on these two characters snoozing in some switchgrass. Only saw the spotted one at first and he was sound asleep, thought he was dead at first. When they finally got up to move out I stuck them both with a 55 SP from about 20 yards. Hard quartered away I shot them both in the armpit through small gaps in the weeds. Neither went further than you could throw a rock underhand. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Entry wound [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Exit almost through the shoulder [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
And the bullet that was peeled down to near the base but the core was clinging tightly in the jacket. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I don’t know how fast they’re going out of my 18” barrel but these were loaded over 25gr of 748 and they were at near muzzle speed when they impacted at only 20 yards. They did exactly what I’ve come to expect time after time, give 10-12” of straight penetration with a 1-2” wound track. As much as I love experimenting if I had to pick one bullet to do it all cheaply and predictably this would likely be it.

Last edited by TheKid; 02/26/22.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice!

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You can't ask for better than that. The 55 hornady is a heck of a little bullet.

Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.