Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D_Dial Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well I acquired a Ruger Wrangler today in a trade deal.

Seems pretty cool at first look and feel. Kinda is what it is with a little single action at its price.

Had my wife paint the front blade fluorescent green with some finger nail polish.

Maybe I can hit a gong with it at about 10 yards…lol

Last edited by D_Dial; 02/13/22. Reason: Spell
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Friend of mine has a couple. Seem pretty decent for the $ , local shop had them for $179 keep thinking im going to stop by and pick one up. But i already have a couple of Single sixes and Mark 1 and 2 so my 22 pistol needs are pretty well covered

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
i have both the original 4.75” ruger wrangler plowhandle grip and the recent 3.5” birdshead grip models. the wranglers are clearly better than the heritage roughrider. $179 new is a good deal, can’t have too many 22lr plinkers imho.

D_Dial Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yeah I agree can’t have to many plinkers..
Tons of info on the Net about the wranglers. Seems most folks are happy with their purchase..

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ran across a silver one at a local pawn shop the other day, marked 139, looked brand new. Tempting, but I already have two. Great guns for the money, I want a birdshead.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I like mine. Local dealer let me check a bunch of them ‘til I found one a bit tighter on the barrel/cylinder gap than most. Perhaps lucky, but mine shoots exactly to point of aim. Closest I can come to a complaint is how stiff the loading gate spring is but that wouldn’t be awfully hard to fix. I’ve got plenty of better/more expensive.22’s but am more than satisfied with this for the money. Lighter than my single six.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Anteloper
I like mine. Local dealer let me check a bunch of them ‘til I found one a bit tighter on the barrel/cylinder gap than most. Perhaps lucky, but mine shoots exactly to point of aim. Closest I can come to a complaint is how stiff the loading gate spring is but that wouldn’t be awfully hard to fix. I’ve got plenty of better/more expensive.22’s but am more than satisfied with this for the money. Lighter than my single six.

I picked up a couple of these shooters and have been well pleased with them in general. I had one where the cylinder was rubbing on the frame at the back of the frame and called Ruger. In just a couple of days they had sent out a replacement cylinder for it. Unfortunately, the problem was with the casting of the frame and it required a wee bit of file work on the back face of the frame and the loading gate. It now works better but still doesn't spin as free as the other shooter.

I have found my barrel/cylinder gap to be very very good and the accuracy is above expectations.

I bought the first one, black, when they first came out and got it for $179 less an instore sale of 10% off. The second one was $199 and now I see them selling for up to $219 for some of the crazy colors.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have both a Wrangler and Single Six in the house. Both are accurate and function pretty much the same. Mine will both shoot between 1"-1.5" offhand at 25 yards with good ammo (CCI standard) if I focus on sight picture and trigger control and have good shooting light. I have not shot either of them from a rest of any sort. I ran a couple hundred thousand rounds through my first Single Six so know and like the platform. For $200, the Wrangler is hard to beat.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 02/25/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You'd have to be 537 years old to run a few hundred thousand rounds through a Single six.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mike78
You'd have to be 537 years old to run a few hundred thousand rounds through a Single six.

Got me laughing man. I haven't shot a 100,000 rounds all calibers combined, but I'm only 44.

Romans 5:1
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey

Got me laughing man. I haven't shot a 100,000 rounds all calibers combined, but I'm only 44.

You're misquoting. I did not say a few hundred thousand rounds. I said a couple hundred thousand rounds.

My dad bought a 5.5" stainless Single Six for me in 1982. Interestingly enough, the dealer he bought it from turned out to be a serial killer.

Back in those days Best Buy in Lubbock would run specials on the good Winchester Super X for $.99 per box, and we would load up every time they did. Over the next 15 or so years, I shot 15,000-20,000 per year many of those years. Eventually the gun went out of time because of use, and I got rid of it. In hindsight, Ruger would've probably rebuilt it. I would love to have it back. That gun was with me a lot from early elementary school until around the time I was in college.

I would guess the gun had a 150,00-200,000 through it by the time I sold it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It’s possible. I have a browning B-80 12ga that I know has a quarter million rounds through it. Bird herding rice adds up.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Stix
It’s possible. I have a browning B-80 12ga that I know has a quarter million rounds through it. Bird herding rice adds up.

It was a joke, mostly because it takes 5 minutes to load/fire/extract 6 rounds in a Single Six.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

It was a joke, mostly because it takes 5 minutes to load/fire/extract 6 rounds in a Single Six.

Oh. Went over my head. One gets quicker after shooting a couple thousand rounds per month for a few months!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

Oh. Went over my head. One gets quicker after shooting a couple thousand rounds per month for a few months!

You'd have to if you ever wanted to sleep or get laid.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

And these days a millionaire…

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348

And these days a millionaire…

It's sad, isn't it. I remember all too well stopping at the hardware store and buying a couple of 50rd boxes of 22 ammo as a kid for pocket change.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mine just crapped the cot. Something inside broke in two the last time I tried to shoot the thing. I wasn't happy with it anyway, as it didn't shoot to the sights. WAY OFF, in fact. I won't miss it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mine's proven well enough that when I'm plinking off the deck at soup cans on the 50 yard dirt pile I don't blame the gun for misses.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I held a birdshead one for the first time last week, sure felt good.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 21, 61 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.