-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's odd. Of the last three I owned,all they ever needed was brakes, oil, and a timing belt at 100K. This was with two different model V6's and a four-banger.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never known anyone who bought one that had troubles with it.

One of the big reasons I switched is because one day at work I was playing around on the Kelly blue book site. A co-worker ask me to run his truck because it was about trade in time for him. It was a 4yr old Toyota 4WD kingcab with 75000 mi on it. After I ran his I ran mine, a 1yr old Dodge Ram quadcab with the 20" wheels and hemi engine with about 8000 mi it. Guess who truck was worth more money? Later that year my bother decided he wanted a another truck. He's the type that hates to buy new. He likes to find them about a year old and let the 1st buyer take the "big hit". He wanted a Tundra this time, so off he went. After about a month of looking I got a call from him. He wanted to come by the house and show me his new truck. He pulls into the driveway with a brand new tundra. I asked him why he didn't buy a used one like he alway's does. He said there was less than a $1K difference in a new one and a good used one.

Just one of the many advantages to owning a Toyota.

Terry

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Those new Tundras are something else! Saw one at the State Fair demo they had set up.... Whatever your brand choice be glad when the other guys are making good products. It only causes your brand of choice to have to work harder and make your preferred truck even better!

I would sure love to see a 3/4 ton Diesel Tundra... It would be good for consumers and make the big 3 make even better trucks.

GMC has the Allison Transmission, Dodge has the Cummins.... A lot of people argue that a combo of those two would be one heck of a truck. Love em or hate, Toyotas just seem to be built better, they seem to pay more attention to detail. On the other hand the big 3 trucks seem more suited for heavy duty work.

Interesting debate, wouldn't want everyone driving the same truck. Competition is good!

Oh yeah, snow plow on any 1/2 ton?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
a friend of mine once owned a tundra. He traded it in for a f350 due to the toyota not hauling 500lbs of oil for [bleep]. Plus 13mpg pissed him off lol.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bigblock455
a friend of mine once owned a tundra. He traded it in for a f350 due to the toyota not hauling 500lbs of oil for [bleep]. Plus 13mpg pissed him off lol.

BIG difference between a F350 and a Tundra. He probably would not have been happy with a F150 or C1500 either. MPG really varies on trucks as most of us have different driving styles, probably a larger factor than the actual truck. Check out the diesel forums, pretty big range of MPG on same brand trucks. I see a lot of guys dumping a lot of fuel as they charge off the line at a Stop Light..... I heard the best way to increase MPG is to keep the RPMs down... Pretty good point, I thougt.

The new Silverados and the Tundras both get decent mileage for a truck. They keep getting better as Technology increases. The new Tundras and the new Chev/GMCs are great for truck fans. As I said before any improvements by any of the players makes the others work harder.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
IMO, MPG today still sucks. A renalt of the 1950s got 40mpg. a 93 dodge colt got over 45mpg. A truck witha 6 speed tranny and getting 18mpg is horrible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But the truck weighs 3 times as much, and pushes alot more air out of the way! If you want something big, you gotta put fuel in it. If you want mileage, you'll be driving a go-kart.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
74 chevy 3500 4x4,4 door, 1969 430 big block buick, 4 speed, 3.73 rearend that gets 14mpg pulling a 6500lbs through the san juan mountains is good MPG. An empty truck with a 6 speed thats gets 18mpg on the highway is crap. That 430 my friend has is putting out over 400 horses and 500ft lbs torque. It will beat out any gas engine production truck on the market including the toyota when it comes to hauling a load. Todays mpg are crap for all the new technology we have on the market. Could you imagine the MPG he'd get if he installed a 6 speed manual?!

All he did to that 430 was install an RV cam and some glass packs. Everything else is stock on the motor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigblock455
74 chevy 3500 4x4,4 door, 1969 430 big block buick, 4 speed, 3.73 rearend that gets 14mpg pulling a 6500lbs through the san juan mountains is good MPG. An empty truck with a 6 speed thats gets 18mpg on the highway is crap. That 430 my friend has is putting out over 400 horses and 500ft lbs torque. It will beat out any gas engine production truck on the market including the toyota when it comes to hauling a load. Todays mpg are crap for all the new technology we have on the market. Could you imagine the MPG he'd get if he installed a 6 speed manual?!

All he did to that 430 was install an RV cam and some glass packs. Everything else is stock on the motor.

Got one little dirty word for you..............

Emissions..................
Not to mention the current 3/4 & 1 ton trucks all weigh in at 7-8.5k lb.
Still like to see ANY gasser pulling weight through the mountains get 14 mpg. Not saying its impossible, just that I'd like to see it.........

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by hekin237

Oh yeah, snow plow on any 1/2 ton?

Yeah, there are 1/2 Ton Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge and GMC trucks here with snowplows on them. Can't say the same for the Toyota trucks.... wink MI VHNTR

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
we're talking a 1/2 ton tundra not a 3/4 ton or 1 ton that weight 7 - 8k.

He himself was surprised but he did what most guys dont do. He didnt keep his foot to the floor. It amazes me at how many people keep their foot to the floor and just over fuel and gain no speed or anything. Plus they like to ride high rpm's so they can "show off" haha im going faster than you while pulling a trailer.

Whats REALLY scary is when you see these fools hauling a 21- 28' camper with a 1/2 ton and doing 80 mph and you just watch that trailer sway. I dont know what gets into these fools.

Last edited by bigblock455; 09/25/07.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
i would like a 4cyl turbo diesel/6spd auto in a crew with a 6'box. i want the dependability of a toyota (i am not going to argue this point! they win if your comparing 88' up, i dont care what you drive this is my post smile ). i would like a chevy ride. ford undercarriage and a cummins motor/allison tranny (i know isuzu etc but again it is my post).

call it a heavy half with decent brakes (drum in back please) and a good tow rating. keep the weight down at the 1/2 ton mark. i would like 25-30 hwy. i would like not to see any rust for 5 years (listening chevy?) i dont need a zillion horsepower. in fact if my top speed was 85 i would be happy forever (geared down with a tall 5/6 gear).

i can put 6 people in it.tow a reasonable sized trailer. i can fit tools in the box (carpenter). and, i can afford to drive it as a primary vehicle.....

dont want a 1/2 ton claiming to be a 3/4. dont want a 8000lb truck to haul my tools/small trailer around.

simple...

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not too bad for a wish list. I'd be happy with a slightly beefed version of the current 4dr Tacoma with a 4cyl turbo diesel and a 6spd manual. I totally agree on the current trend with 1/2 tons. My shortbox F150 weighs about 6,000lbs with a driver and a full tank. I wonder why the mileage sucks?

Now with even more aplomb
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
yup, the taco was what i had in mind. just want more cab room for 6 people.... those fords were dogs in the MPG.. the pair i had astounded me with the lousy mileage... had a 302 and a 351. neither showed a lick of promise grin

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There was a post on here some time back where a guy posted a website of a late 90's early '00 chevy 1500 with an isuzu turbo diesel getting over 30mpg. The motor swapped right in. He just had to weld up new frame mounts.

I'd love to put a 4 cylinder isuzu turbo diesel into my isuzu rodeo with the 5 speed.That sucker would be awesome. Im getting a little over 27mpg when i keep it at 55. Imagine what that diesel would get doing 55?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You just don't get it do you? So I won't waste my time on you explaining things. You r a sick man. "Before it is to late." Right!!!! An the folks from Mars are coming to get us all next week too. The world is going to end next Tuesday too.

P. S. You need to learn how to spelllllll bettterr.....

Last edited by hunter01; 09/27/07.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ditto, TC1. Double ditto..............(:

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the new Tundra is awesome and if Toyota hits as much of a homerun with a 3/4 ton turbo diesel as it did with the Tundra, the Big Three will be reeling hard.

However, has anyone else seen the picture of the set-up for the Tundra commercials? Would anyone like to guess which pick-ups were used to haul equipment to the photo shoot? IIRC, I saw Dmaxes, Cummins, and old Powerstrokes................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not a brand loyalist. I've owned GM, Ford, Acura, and Honda vehicles. I've probably logged more miles on Honda cars (over 400k) than anything else and in nearly over 400k miles between three cars I've had exactly one "break down." I bought a Ford F150 FX4 in December of 2003 and now nearly 4 years later after the warranty has expired the rear axle limited slip clutches are shot. This is a truck that is supposed to be heavy duty and only has 24k miles on it. Absolutely pathetic in my opinion. I've really enjoyed this truck and I am not giving up on it yet, but this certainly leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

That being said, I also know a person that had a Tundra bought back because it was plagued with brake problems and another Tundra owner that had manifold and transmission problems (both out of warranty) that were extremely expensive to fix. I guess some folks have luck and some don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, they are mechanical, and like all machines, things will/do go wrong with them. Some have more problems than others, some have less. For instance, the No. 1 rated vehicle for dependability, the Lexus, still had 124 mechanical problems per 100 vehicles. And that is the MOST reliable rated vehicle. So yes, they are machines, and mechanical things do break and/or wear out. It is called friction between moving parts.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 6 invisible), 1,168 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.