Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Had my electrician install a X/fer switch in my main panel

Simple slide lock out that locks out the power company...but allows a generator to power the panel

You can only run one at a time..either one system or the other...totally safe

I only have a Yamaha 2800I...then I select the breakers I want to power

Two fridges...one freezer...TV/computer...mini split heat system...basement NG heater fan...selected lighting

Yes with only a 2800 unit you have to be selective..but its very doable

Cost was $300 or so...already had the Yamaha

Have considered a unit with more power..Hobo Freight sells decent inverters for under a grand

https://www.harborfreight.com/gener...uper-quiet-inverter-generator-56720.html

I bought a Champion (Yep, Chinese) 5kW inverter generator for about $800.00. Not the quietest, but it works well.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I am thinking of adding a generator also when needed. I saw a "generlink" set-up installed at the meter itself that would suit my needs better and easier I think. I will talk to my electrican and see what he thinks. Hope this helps...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
I think I'll call my electrician later on today and see what he can do for me

That’s a great idea. Jury rigged generators are a bad idea. Fire hazard, insurance problems, life safety problems.
Duel fuel is a good idea for anyone using a generator. Gasoline becomes a problem long term. Storage and procurement.
Look online for appliance wattage use. It gives you a better idea to help size your generator needs. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by joken2

No need to do this.....^^^^^^^

If you have a X/fer switch wired into your panel...

Select furnace breaker & you're all set !

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

If I were 20 years younger......but I'm not cry

This would be my choice in NG.....gas meter is 10' away

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200665217_200665217

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've got an interlock and breaker wired to a 50A inlet on the side of the house. Went with a 50A in case we ever upgraded. The portable gen hooks into the inlet via a 30A->50A cable.

Lose power..?

Plug in the generator. Start it. Flip the main to off. Move interlock. Flip the gen breaker to on. Instant power to the house. You can isolate portions of the house with the other breakers.

I'd get a dual fuel generator. That way you're not as limited and propane doesn't have the storage problems of gas.

Carpe' Scrotum
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tikkanut

If I were 20 years younger......but I'm not cry

This would be my choice in NG.....gas meter is 10' away

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200665217_200665217

as long as NG service is not destroyed in whatever outage you have.

Since we have all kinds it seems not foolproof. Though keeping fuel or propane on hand isn't either. Depending on length of outage.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steve
We've got an interlock and breaker wired to a 50A inlet on the side of the house. Went with a 50A in case we ever upgraded. The portable gen hooks into the inlet via a 30A->50A cable.

Lose power..?

Plug in the generator. Start it. Flip the main to off. Move interlock. Flip the gen breaker to on. Instant power to the house. You can isolate portions of the house with the other breakers.

I'd get a dual fuel generator. That way you're not as limited and propane doesn't have the storage problems of gas.

not familiar with interlock. Will have to search that.

But if you are relying the main being off to protect linemen from getting electrocuted. DON"T

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If I went with the generac, I think I could get by with that 10kw model
, heck I know I could if I'm trying to rig up a 2000w generator

Last edited by KFWA; 03/01/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Small transfer switch.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I picked up a Wen 2000 Gen/inverter as a lightweight spare....

Great product....runs very quiet & only weighs 44#

Well worth the $400

https://wenproducts.com/collections/generators

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
"Easy Button".... Cut the 110v electric supply line to your furnace. Put in a duplex receptacle on the breaker side of the cut. Put a male three prong plug on the furnace side of the cut. When the power goes out, run an extension cord from the generator to the furnace. Plug the furnace into the extension cord instead of the wall outlet. Less than $20 in parts. Less than 1 hour. If you can wire an outlet, you can wire this up. No electrician needed.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

Lose power..?

But if you are relying the main being off to protect linemen from getting electrocuted. DON"T

The interlock physically prevents the main and the generator breaker from being closed at the same time. One or the other. It's code compliant.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you try to hook a 120v generator to your breaker panel, you'll run into some problems. The incoming grid power is 240v. It feeds through 2 arms of the panel, 120v on each side. If you hook up a 120v generator, only the breakers on that side will get power. Depending on how the box is built, it won't be all the breakers on the left or the right. They'll probably alternate as you go down the row. Whether a circuit gets power depends on where the breaker is in the panel. A 240v gen will power both sides so they'll all get power. I haven't seen any 240v generators under about 4k watts.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Orion2000
"Easy Button".... Cut the 110v electric supply line to your furnace. Put in a duplex receptacle on the breaker side of the cut. Put a male three prong plug on the furnace side of the cut. When the power goes out, run an extension cord from the generator to the furnace. Plug the furnace into the extension cord instead of the wall outlet. Less than $20 in parts. Less than 1 hour. If you can wire an outlet, you can wire this up. No electrician needed.

[Linked Image]

I actually did that one year when we lost power, but the location of the generator and the effort to run other stuff was a bit of a mess

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
We have had a loadside transfer switch like the one in the link Raeford posted for the past 22 years and it has worked well. The circuit switches are 3 position: 1)incoming utility power on 2) off , and 3) 30 amp exterior generator plug routing power when the gen set is plugged in and running..

We've used a 6kw open cage portable generator successfully for up to a week at a time to power 220v well pump, sump pump, hot water baseboard heat, refrigerator, freezer and interior lighting circuits.

With the installation of a new hot water boiler combination unit with digital sensors and controls we've switched to a Honda EU7000is portable generator. Expensive, but plug and play with our existing exterior 30 amp plug and interior loadside transfer switch. This generator model is used by the boiler manufacturer engineer I spoke with who lives out in the country and has the same heating unit. And you can take it with you if you move or need temporary power elsewhere. Inverter generators providing clean power are necessary to avoid damaging digital components in modern HVAC, computers, power tool battery chargers, smart TV, etc.

Last edited by Aagaardsporter; 03/01/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lippygoathead
I am thinking of adding a generator also when needed. I saw a "generlink" set-up installed at the meter itself that would suit my needs better and easier I think. I will talk to my electrican and see what he thinks. Hope this helps...

Can't be any simpler, safer, economical.
3 Easy payments added to electric bill.
20' generator cord included, longer lengths available.

Electric Co-op installs free !

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Uhhmmm.... that's basically what I did.
I have a 120/240 generator.
I hard wired a plug on my covered back porch. The generator sits on the outside porch. A 6 foot male/male cord connects generator to outlet.

I have one dedicated circuit that runs:
1) LPG heat unit or one AC unit (both 110ac)
2) TV
3) refrigeration units
4) a couple of lights

LPG hot water and cooking.
Wood stove can furnish heat, hot water and some cooking.
Generator and air compressor can furnish water (air lift pump).

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Uhhmmm.... that's basically what I did.
I have a 120/240 generator.
I hard wired a plug on my covered back porch. The generator sits on the outside porch. A 6 foot male/male cord connects generator to outlet*.

I have one dedicated circuit that runs:
1) LPG heat unit or one AC unit (both 110ac)
2) TV
3) refrigeration units
4) a couple of lights

LPG hot water and cooking.
Wood stove can furnish heat, hot water and some cooking.
Generator and air compressor can furnish water (air lift pump).

* - inside connections are extension cords, needed appliances are unplugged from house circuit and connected to surge protectors. Generator also has breakers.

Last edited by martinstrummer; 03/01/22.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495

Lose power..?

The interlock physically prevents the main and the generator breaker from being closed at the same time. One or the other. It's code compliant.

Interesting. Its not a physical break so I'd think it not legal. Like if one breaker or the other melts or fails contact could be established as a possible.

But if the code allows then it passes that.

Physical disconnect is what we use since we have been around both ends of power quite a bit over the years and I simply try to be the safest we can for linemen. Even though they should be protecting, yes we never trusted anyone and wore all our gloves, used mats etc...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 77 invisible), 3,110 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,353
Posts18,487,900
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.