Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by fishingnut71
Been thinkin really hard about a move out of this piece of crap state. Thinkin wyoming but want your thoughts on that? Goods vs bads.

Me too. I'm not far away in eastern Idaho but Wyoming has no stare tax and has better schools and some great hunts. The I decided to look for a piece of land near Alpine last week. It looks like Jackson Hole prices have really influenced Alpine. I was amazed how expensive land is in little old alpine. I like Wyoming as a state but would prefer to be on its west side and it's hard to find a town with more than 1 grocery store that isn't crazy expensive on the west side. Cody seems like it would be ok but it's hard to get to from everywhere.

Bb

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm afraid there is only one "last best place" left in these United States. It is not Montana, Wyoming, or Idaho.

I'm heartbroken to say it is not Texas, although I intend for my ashes to be scattered there...

Alaska could be a contender. I hope so.

I won't mention the name of my last hope. Those who are there know it, hopefully others will not guess it....

Best wishes all,

Bob.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wyoming isn’t for everybody. That’s a good thing.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
QUOTE: Cody seems like it would be ok but it's hard to get to from everywhere.

And......that’s one thing that makes it desirable! 😁 Unless you have your heart set on living with the “uppity, millionaire/billionaires there are lots of smaller towns in Western Wyoming! Though it will require additional time and a few bucks more on fuel......Evanston or God Forbid Salt Lake City aren’t that far away! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/08/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Made the move last year to Gillette.

No regrets - should have done it sooner.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe it would be useful to name a few towns in Wyoming that one should avoid?
I will start...

1. Any town on the reservation
2.Shoshoni
3.Burlington
4. Cowely
5. Pavillion
6. Otto
6. Wright
7.Edgerton
7. Midwest

Feel free to add to the list

This should stir some schit up...... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by irfubar
I will start...

2.Shoshoni
3.Burlington
4. Cowely
5. Pavillion
6. Otto
6. Wright
7.Edgerton
7. Midwest

I would remove Cowley and put Jackson in its place.

And any town on or NEAR the reservation.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I will start...

2.Shoshoni
3.Burlington
4. Cowely
5. Pavillion
6. Otto
6. Wright
7.Edgerton
7. Midwest

I would remove Cowley and put Jackson in its place.

And any town on or NEAR the reservation.

Yep.....Cowley is a darn nice little town! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok , due to popular opinion Cowely is off the list....
I understand the desire to add Jackson.... but damn I love that country and the food and drink etc..... the people not so much.
That being said I will add it to the list.... cuz of the liberals and the crazy cost

2.Shoshoni
3.Burlington
4. Jackson
5. Pavillion
6. Otto
6. Wright
7.Edgerton
7. Midwest

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Fishingnut71: When I decided to pack up, sell out and move my family out of taxington 24 years ago - I debated Montana or Wyoming.
I am glad I went with and have stayed in Montana.
Choose Big Sky Country - you won't be disappointed.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

For those considering relocating to Wyoming .....recent data suggests that it’s a really cool place to live! memtb

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=202203101955-KRIW-NOUS45-PNSRIW

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wyoming is the new Montana it seems.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ok , due to popular opinion Cowely is off the list....
I understand the desire to add Jackson.... but damn I love that country and the food and drink etc..... the people not so much.
That being said I will add it to the list.... cuz of the liberals and the crazy cost

2.Shoshoni
3.Burlington
4. Jackson
5. Pavillion
6. Otto
6. Wright
7.Edgerton
7. Midwest

8. Riverton
9.Rawlins
10. Lander

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A couple of places in Wyoming you can minimize your exposure to the friggen wind... Sheridan & Buffalo

And both are great places to live.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The only windless place I have found is under my house. With the crawl space door shut. And duct-taped!!!

But we have good points too. #1 we have few communists by percentage. They congregate in a few "liberal' towns (meaning communists can't stand on their own, so they ,love hive-mind. ) Towns with a high percentage of communist idiots are Laramie, Jackson and Lander.

Now consider that a "high percentage" in Wyoming is around 20% or in the worst places maybe 1/3. The thing I do like about MANY Wyomingites is their open contempt for communists, so the incoming one find out pretty fast they need to feel "accepted" in the few commie-areas or they get no respect and are told regularly how stupid they are. I have been to no other state where being a Lib-Tard is called out so regularly. Lib-Tards have thin skin and offence seems deadly to them. I DO like that!

It gets Cold? Ummmmm ...... well ............. OK, yeah. No arguing that.
But not as bad as many people like you to think. Other states get as cold or a bit colder, and few people make a fuss over them. Wyoming has some tendency to be brought up because of extremes and records, but it must be remembered such records happen maybe one time in 50 to 100 years. So.... if I am asked what's the coldest I have ever seen here, it was -64F (not wind chill....REAL temp) BUT. That night broke all the records going back 76 years. Most years late December and most of January the temps get to -15 and down to -25 nearly every night. That's common. Day time highs in the sub-zero to low singles digits most years. So, that's cold, But not all THAT cold. Wyomingites start to pay attention and talk about it when it get near -30 and it's common conversation when it's close to -40. But that quite rare. If you move here from southern California, Texas, New Mexico, Mississippi, Florida Alabama or Arizona you are in for a shock your first winter, but if you come from many other states and simply by a good winter coat, boots, hat and some mittens you'll never have any problems. If I have to go to the south in summer I dress for it. Do the same for Wyoming winters and you'll have no problems. A hint for you is to buy such things in April or May. Getting what you want in the middle off a cold snap is not a good plan. Remember the snow tires BEFORE winter too!

Come to Wyoming with a mind-set to fit in, pitch in and help (not a short term activity but a life style) and go out of your way to let others know it, and in no time you are one of us. Come with the idea of building your own nest egg at the expense of others and you'll find you'd better be 100% self reliant because few will help you if you don't seem helpful to them 1st.

I think county folks are that way any place you go. But Wyoming is the lest populated state in the USA so we have a far higher percentage of country folks than any other state. That's why the extreme difference in fitting in or being unwelcome is so noted about Wyoming. We are no different then Texas country folks, Alabama country folks or Main country folks. It s just that in most places the highest percentage of people are city folks and that's not the case here.

The "golden Rule" you were taught in 1st grade is what gets you friendship and acceptance here faster than it will about any other place you go.
And as with country folks in other states as well as what I saw in other countries--- from Burma, Thailand, Rhodesia, Mexico, Paraguay, Cambodia,--- or even right in New York state to have good friends FIRST BE a good friend! Country folks think the same way most places you go. We just "got more of um".

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
All of these posts on towns in Wyoming, and not one mention of Dubois? The home of Welty's general store, what else would you need? What about Kinnear, population of 44. Much bigger then Morton Wy. So many choices!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jaguar
Jerry, you forgot a few nice little towns.

Hawk Springs, Gebo, Cumberland, Carbon, Almy, Lamont, Jeffrey City, Ervay, Moskee.

Ha, ha. I went to school with a guy whose family moved to Lander from Gebo. Also have an acquintance living in Jeffrey City. No, I have never stopped at Monking Bird. laugh

Last edited by jnyork; 03/12/22.

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was working construction near Soda Springs Idaho quite a few years ago, and we were struggling trying to land a sheet of rolled steel with a crane while building a storage silo.

The wind was pushing it around pretty good, especially because off the shape, as you could imagine.

A co-worker commented on how bad the wind was.

Another from Wyoming said, " This is nothing, the wind in Casper blows harder than this inside my house."

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Move to Livingston MT to get out of the wind.

LOL.

How about Big Timber?

Browning.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,660
Posts18,512,866
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.