Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Teal;
Top of the morning my friend, I hope that the day is behaving as well as a time change Monday can and that you're all well.

On the fertilizer subject, I grew up just north of one of the biggest potash producing sets of mines in Saskatchewan and from what I hear they're still going strong, so potash is still coming out of the ground here.

For sure you're correct that way too many people that we know either buy pre-prepared meals or are still eating out/getting take out because of the beer flu mess.

The price of rice up here is still very reasonable, as are lentils and navy beans which store indefinitely. As a by the way, I am still eating lentils which I bought a "big bag" of for Y2K.... laugh

If one has the ability to grind their own wheat, it'll store for decades and not lose any food value until it's ground either. I'm not sure about dried corn, sorry, but can't imagine that it'd be a horrible thing to have some bags of deer feeder corn around "just because". We don't see that up here, but on some forums I see folks have pallets of the stuff down in some places south of us.

Unless they're nearly done financially from previous years, etc., the farmers up here are still planting something as they want to keep the lights on too, right?

Fresh vegetables and fruits might could get really sporty for sure though.

All the best and God bless.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by ribka
https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/media-isnt-warning-you-america-careening-towards-food-crisis

Are people paying attention?

I have 3 deer, an elk and a lamb. Plus a bunch of frozen veggies. Canned fish and deer this past winter

Hoping that the electricity stays on.

I suppose that is the wild card.

Our pantry is stocked with canned deer, moose and vegetables. We have a freezer chock full of stuff too. I have a couple outdoor propane stoves that we do most of our canning on, if the electricity went out my plan would be to can as much as possible from the freezer before it went bad. I have plenty of jars and lids and a couple spare propane cylinders in reserve for that scenario.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Word to the wise on canning fish, smoke about 10-15% as long as you would like it normally. The canning really brings it out.

A slice of lemon and some basil in a pint of trout is great.

I just dry canned a BUNCH of elk jerky and have it on 30" of vacuum.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dwayne -

Sir, hope all is well with you and yours too!

Yeah, I mean fertilizer and the costs associated means you get more on less land, in my mind. I don't think it means the farm shuts down. Ben (my friend) will do the best he can and it means raising his prices. I suspect we'll see that in a lot of places. People are going to "re-learn" how to cook and not just reheat what someone else cooked I think.

Might be time to buy stock in cookbooks!

I think people tho, will each make some individual decisions - eating out, eating in, what that looks like. Anyway we slice things here in the States - we're headed for contraction/recession. Just how each of us handles it will determine a lot. I don't think we're all, equally equipped to do so.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sourdough bread is simple. It takes a bit to get the starter going, but once it's on, 3 cups of flour and a tablespoon of salt make a fantastic loaf of bread. We haven't bought bread since it hit 3 bux. It takes me under 10 minutes total labor for a loaf.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
If a single hair on my head knew my plans, I’d cut it all off!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Me

R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

of course Its like insurance it could reduce the impact.

I made 20 lbs o fjerkey too and lots of cheap canned goods, chili, veggies, meat, sardines, tuna and of course spam

Originally Posted by Croaker
Originally Posted by ribka
https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/media-isnt-warning-you-america-careening-towards-food-crisis

Are people paying attention?

I have 3 deer, an elk and a lamb. Plus a bunch of frozen veggies. Canned fish and deer this past winter

3 freezers full here and a well stocked pantry. Hoping that the electricity stays on.

I doubt that the majority of folks are paying attention. Hot water comes out of the tap, the tv comes on and Taco Bell is still in business. All is well.

The larger inner cities could get a lot sportier than they already are.

[i][/i][u][/u]

There's the rub.
SHTF bad enough gennies aren't going to save all that frozen food.
Yes I have a freezer full too, it's never going to be enough.
Nothing but bad choices and worse choices coming.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Bought a 4patriots solar generator for shtf to power my freezer in summer and heater in winter

Can you tell us more about what you have, how it’s connected, how you phase it inand out.

Would appreciate it if you have the time.

Good thread.

It’s just a stand alone portable generator (battery )recharged by solar panels. I think 3000 watts takes 4-6 hours To recharge depending on how many panels you have, “says” it can Trina fridge/freezer for 6-8 hrs. In my own opinion , if you can get or have it already froze, you dont need to run it all day to top off the cold “especially if you keep freezer in cooler environment like a basement or shaded area. Back before instant ice makers,,, people cut ice blocks to use and they lasted 8 plus months because of environment, like well insulated well shaded places
4patriots.com is official website, got it on a special $3000 for generator package and extra solar panels
Also invested in a Milwaukee cordless chainsaw and some extra chains, some extra batteries as well for the rest of my cordless stuff, staying all one brand for the main reason the batteries all interchange. Milwaukee also has a battery powered generator I’m looking into for next big purchase.
Want to do a whole house backup generator but two problems.
A. Expense, wife lost her job due to covid rules and loss of income still hurts
B. Can’t decide if I want to do Natural gas which i have in house now or go propane and set a tank. If sh.. really goes south and no electricity, how will natural gas get to me? Propane,,, i have access to a portable tank and could use it but would still need to get it refilled

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by high_country_
Sourdough bread is simple. It takes a bit to get the starter going, but once it's on, 3 cups of flour and a tablespoon of salt make a fantastic loaf of bread. We haven't bought bread since it hit 3 bux. It takes me under 10 minutes total labor for a loaf.

Love sour dough. My starter in 15 years old. Sure beats store bought Flour prices are going up fast the past month

As mentioned find a good place to live and get to really know your neighbors and talk about these things, educate people. Churches are good places to meet like minded who understand what may happen in the future. My church has weekend get aways at few times year , training , first aid, shooting, communications etc Have printed maps of your area and know basic land nav. Have back up communication other than cell phones , gps which can be switched off easily. Having a group of close friends with different skills really helps. I know its crazy conspiracy talk. But better to be prepared

Last edited by ribka; 03/14/22.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bought a 4patriots solar generator for shtf to power my freezer in summer and heater in winter

Can you tell us more about what you have, how it’s connected, how you phase it inand out.

Would appreciate it if you have the time.

Good thread.

It’s just a stand alone portable generator (battery )recharged by solar panels. I think 3000 watts takes 4-6 hours To recharge depending on how many panels you have, “says” it can Trina fridge/freezer for 6-8 hrs. In my own opinion , if you can get or have it already froze, you dont need to run it all day to top off the cold “especially if you keep freezer in cooler environment like a basement or shaded area. Back before instant ice makers,,, people cut ice blocks to use and they lasted 8 plus months because of environment, like well insulated well shaded places
4patriots.com is official website, got it on a special $3000 for generator package and extra solar panels
Also invested in a Milwaukee cordless chainsaw and some extra chains, some extra batteries as well for the rest of my cordless stuff, staying all one brand for the main reason the batteries all interchange. Milwaukee also has a battery powered generator I’m looking into for next big purchase.
Want to do a whole house backup generator but two problems.
A. Expense, wife lost her job due to covid rules and loss of income still hurts
B. Can’t decide if I want to do Natural gas which i have in house now or go propane and set a tank. If sh.. really goes south and no electricity, how will natural gas get to me? Propane,,, i have access to a portable tank and could use it but would still need to get it refilled

Many thanks.

When I go to their 4patriot.com website the page comes up but remains blank for some reason . I’m going to keep trying. I like what you’ve posted here.on it.
Thanks again.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine’s full of primers…..

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I lost about 200 pounds of rice last year because of a water leak.

Rice weevils took over my basement, clogged up my furnace regulator.

It was a mess. I bought some water proof containers to store the replacement rice I bought.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just getting the garden planted the next few days. Freezers are looking good but need to can a bunch of the meat. You need to keep your dried goods - foods in a 55gal drum. Some have gaskets others you have to make your own out of silicone. Just wax the drum lip and run a good bead of silicone around the lid and let the silicone kickoff. It's a reusable gasket if done properly.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two year supply stashed away in pantry and freezers, 2500 calories per day, for 12 people (my family) not counting what we can grow and hunt and raise here on the farm.

My shortage is of mason jars, lids and rings. I bought a Harvest Right in November and have been practicing with it ad nauseum since then ... using farmer's market fruit and veggies and frozen venison that was beginning to overflow a couple of my chest freezers. This year's garden is double what it has been, almost two complete acres. There will be a lot of freeze dried carrots, apples, potatoes, etc., put-up this year. A lot of freeze dried meats.

I need more mylar bags and am probably going to have to invest in another vacuum packer and sealer.

Got another half a beef coming in two weeks and may do three instead of two this year. I honestly haven't been able to keep them. People are buying them 8 months ahead of the butcherings.

I mean, I'm an organic free range commercial chicken farmer so I have no shortage of chickens to can - my family grows tired pf eating chicken sometimes. My problem there has been keeping legal Mexicans working for me and I refuse to hire illegals since all the kids have grown-up and moved away with their families.

My ponds are fully stocked with catfish. Got more than a few hogs fattening-up on the back forty.

You can never have too much salt and sugar, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, spices, peppercorns, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, molasses ... I mean i probably literally have a quarter ton of that stuff, stuff that most don't put enough away.

And don't forget the water, 1st Aid supplies and ammo. Goes without saying.

Rough times are coming.

Energy is going to be key to it all. Be redundant.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Wife's doing a lot of canning including meats...

That's just smart.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Started packing dry goods weeks ago. Rice, beans, pasta etc. Flour. And cornmeal in Mylar bags heat sealed with an oxygen absorber in them.
Canned goods from wally with the longest expiration dates available
Wife bought a new pressure canner from Wisconsin foundry just to can the meat in the freezer
Two deer and some quail along with a 1/4 beef. Planning on that this weekend.
My neighbor across the street plants a garden every year big enough for all the neighborhood. He will.plant over 200 mater plants,usually 6 different varieties. Then all the standard stuff too.
I guess if it were to get bad enough those deer I feed in the back yard may catch a bullet.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don’t forget to hoard TP.

“What goes in must come out….”

Old Chinese proverb.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
By on track…

The Walmarts has been having canning jars in stock.
Picked up a half dozen cases. And plenty of lids.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 11 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.