Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Batteries in electric vehicles are toxic & only 20% recyclable. They required being stored, forever in a secure setting. .No one wants them around where they live. . Extremely toxic. For sure not clean technology. If one catches on fire & you breath it in , it can kill you, quickly. Even a single breath in of the toxic fumes can cause catastrophic lung damage. Rare elements required to make a Lithium-Ion battery , there is estimated to be only a 30 year supply. Also the rare elements needed are only available from hostile nations. Supply can be cut off at any time. Which means no new replacement batteries. Electric vehicles may get great gas mileage , but are more expensive to maintain over a ten year period than combustion engine types. Battery replacement is expensive & must be figured in when looking at your over all fuel cost. Many seem to ignore this. Try & sell a used electric vehicle. From what I see Hydrogen powered vehicles, now in the process of development could be a real clean answer as they only produce water vapor exhaust. I see it as way to early for me to even consider an electric. Too man if's.

S
sjc Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
All electric or hybrid vehicles will most likely be the dominant vehicles in the future. How far in the future is the unknown. The problem that no one seems to be addressing is the lack of an electrical grid that can charge millions of electric vehicles, run computers, air conditioners, lights, appliances etc. Hot weather in California causes rolling brown outs when everyone runs their air conditioners. Add to this charging electric vehicles and everyone will be sitting in the dark.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
"AMEN" sjc

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The world's largest deposit of Li is in NV but so far the leftist greenies have prevented anyone from mining it. It's like oil - we have it but can't use it. The left is insane.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It is bleedingly obvious that some people do not know the difference between an electric vehicle and a hybrid.

Boy howdy is it!

Like Bluto in Animal House, Forget it they're rolling!

It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Something like that would work for most of us but no one can admit it. I build homes. Drive a Ram 2500 4dr 8foot bed.

80% of the time I COULD drive a Honda Civic.

Lumber gets delivered for framing. Most everything I can actually have delivered. I use my truck to pick up tile, trim, take garbage out etc.

We build custom homes. All tools are onsite or in a trailer. I could make the commute everyday and go estimate jobs in a car.

Most pickups you see don’t carry anything 90% of the time.

Change my mind.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by sierrabravo45

Most pickups you see don’t carry anything 90% of the time.

Change my mind.

Nope, you're right.

I have a Camry and a Tundra. The Tundra sits unless I need to haul or pull something, 95% of the time I'm driving the Camry because it gets 3X the gas mileage.

Most people drive pickups because they want to, not because they need to. That's fine, it's America and we can do what we want with our money. I kind of tilt my head sideways though when someone tells me they NEED a $75K pickup with heated leather seats and moonroof.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
My brother bought a Tesla 18 months ago. Believe me, he is no greenie and he thinks global warming is BS.
He loves this car. Very sporty and great acceleration. I wired up a 220 charging station in his garage, using a dryer receptacle from Lowes. Cost about $60 total for wires, breaker etc. If he charges for one hour, he gets 25 miles of driving.
He says it is way cheaper than gasoline.

The car only gets about 225 miles on a charge, so it is no good for long trips.

Like someone said, you really don't want to "run out of gas" on the highway because AAA can't bring you a 2 gallon jug of electricity. You will go for a ride in a roll back tow truck.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My daily is an '04 Pontiac Montana minivan that I bought from my mother when she quit driving in '08. I have about 240k on it now and lots of electrical things don't work right but it gets 23-24 mpg and is a great runaround. I can get 8' lumber in it with the seats out.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wifes Honda gets over 30 MPG will do a 14+ second 1/4 mile and go from Seattle to Key West only stopping what the folks inside need

hydrogen once developed will kill electric

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The problem with either H2 or CNG is the size and weight of the tanks. They have to be very strong and heavy to handle the pressure and they take up a lot of space.

― George Orwell

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Where will the Hydrogen come from?

Electricity????? Still have all the power grid issues. That electricity has to come from somewhere.

Me? I am in favor of damming the rest of Hell's Canton, the Salmon, and the Clearwater.

Millions and millions of megawatts going to waste in this nation without even talking about Alaska.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They all want to tear down the dams to save the salmon but not a word is said about getting rid of 10,000 sea lions in the Columbia. They eat an average of 40lb of salmon each, per day.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by Redneck
They can have it.... Great for them, worthless for most of us...

Agreed.

Osky

yup

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's the spin on towing capacity for you, Pashooter:

How often do you tow that camper? Everyday and everywhere? No? Perhaps only a few times a year? So...the 95% of the time you aren't towing, your towing capacity is moot. Yes, you need a sturdy vehicle that gets 10 mpg while actually towing. But the entire rest of the time, when you're going to the grocery store for beer, you don't.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
So, RR...

Do you propose the owner of a towing vehicle purchases a SECOND vehicle (EV or Hybrid) which requires additional payout of annual vehicle taxes, annual registration, monthly insurance premiums and maintenance?
What if weather (long winters of ice and snow) make 4x4 a requirement?

I propose it is simply more affordable to just drive the towing vehicle or 4x4, if one has a short daily commute. If a person has a longer commute, well, decisions have to be made.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lots of people own more than one vehicle, as you well know. Having a cheap daily driver and a thirsty tow vehicle seems like a darn good option. Especially with $5+ gasoline.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
99 Honda Accord, and 01 3/4 T 4X4 GMC purchased within the last year. about 140 K on each. Less than $10,000 purchase cost combined.

Insurance cost is minimal, as is licensing cost. I fill the Honda with gas once every three weeks for my commute. The Truck carries a 4,000 lb Lance camper and tows a 5000 lb boat/trailer when we vacation.

Sure, I could replace the Honda with a Hybrid or EV. But not for the $5000 dollar purchase price. And what would I gain, a 40% reduction in fuel cost.

Maybe $12/week fuel cost vs $20/week. Compare that to the $25,000 to $35,000 purchase price of the Hybrid, and the cost of insurance on the higher value vehicle. Add in 6% sales tax, and licensing fees.

Do we even need to talk about battery disposal and replacement? I can replace the entire engine/transaxle assembly on the Accord for a few thousand bucks. If I live long enough to wear it out.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
long term view: dot.guv is gonna make you buy EV.

Then dot.guv gonna make you pay out the poop chute for processing/disposal of the end of life EV batteries.

This will kind of replace the fuel tax revenue that is declining.

AND, dot.guv gonna tax your tire dust as a hazardous material once they figure out tire dust generated as tire wear happens is toxic.

GOA
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"He can charge it in the driveway from a special 240v outlet he had installed."

How many amps are required for that circuit? Most residential homes only have 100 amp service and the power lines/transformers are to designed to provide that. Will he be using only electricity generated by wind turbines and solar panels?

Last edited by victoro; 03/19/22.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (22250rem, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,403
Posts18,488,921
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.