Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
That second or third vehicle investment cost and ownership/operating cost can represent a LOT of future fuel dollars for the primary vehicle.
I will stick with my truck. The wife gets whatever she wants.

GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Most household 220/240 outlets (dryer, welder, etc) are 50 to 60 amp.

I have one 50 amp 220 on the outside of the wellhouse for an RV plug and two wells inside. Another 50 amp RV plug on the outside of the garage, as well as a 50 amp welder circuit in the garage.

The house has one 60 amp feeding the furnace as well as a 30 amp to the AC, 50 amps to the dryer, 30 amps to the water heater, and 40 amps to the range.

This is all fed from one 200 amp main at the meter. You just don't run every circuit at maximum capacity simultaneously.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Wife bought a 2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. It has a full electric mode, but it is just for low speed no emissions times. Getting into and out of enclosed parking garages, for example. Hybrid mode is fantastic. Plenty of power to merge onto the interstate, effortless cruising, up to 36 mpg. Every bell and whistle like radar cruise control. It's our road trip car.

I think the "most people" comment above is wrong. There are a helluva lot more people who commute to work and shopping than those who pull horse trailers and haul rocks. There will always be a need for hauling and towing that electrics/hybrids probably won't handle. Gas/diesel wins at those jobs.

But for highway cruising, hybrids are great. For local-only driving, full electrics can and do fit the bill. I am ignoring for the moment the electrical supply issue if there are millions more electric cars. The discussion here is just about which vehicles are suitable for which jobs.

What's the cost to replace the batteries? The goal of the Marxist Democrats (and other globalists) is to bankrupt the middle class worldwide and the USA's economy at the same time. They want all electric vehicles not just cars. I think California is already mandating all electric 18 wheelers in the near future. Most of the material needed to "Go Green" will be made in China.

The people driving and bragging about how great their electric cars are helping them accomplish that.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
The minions (democrat voters) of the big cities have no interest in pollution reduction. They simply want pollution displacement.

Get the smog out of their precious cities and move it somewhere else. EVs accomplish this well. Put the generating facilities 200 or 300 miles away on a mountain or in the desert and the urban denizens could not care less how much emissions they make. Just so long as they do not have to breath it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You have not been listening, have you? My dealership says that since Gen 2 of Toyota hybrids, they have NEVER replaced a battery. And do not expect to for the life of the vehicle.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
long term view: dot.guv is gonna make you buy EV.

Coming soon to a once free country near you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
So what does it cost in electricity to fully charge it and how will subzero temps affect the range? Also battery life and replacement cost?

It's free if you have a $100k windmill.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You have not been listening, have you? My dealership says that since Gen 2 of Toyota hybrids, they have NEVER replaced a battery. And do not expect to for the life of the vehicle.

And a plant is being built now in Ontario that will recycle and re-use the chemicals and metals in the EV (including hybrid) batteries when they do need replacing.
RB

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

But Rocky, What do they consider "life of the vehicle"?

I am not the only person around to purchase 20 year old vehicles with 150,000 miles on them. I expect to get another 15 to 20 years and another 150 to 200K in miles.

What is their actual warranty on the battery?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
In Commyfornia they are charging us 51 cents a kilowatt at certain times of the day from 5pm--9pm
and we have rolling black outs when ever the Gooberment wants to shut things down.

People need to think about that when they buy an EV.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
From the link I posted earlier....

A single battery providing a useful driving range weighs about 1,000 pounds. Providing the refined minerals needed to fabricate a single EV battery requires the mining, moving, and processing of more than 500,000 pounds of materials somewhere on the planet.

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/mines-minerals-and-green-energy-reality-check

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by sierrabravo45
Something like that would work for most of us but no one can admit it. I build homes. Drive a Ram 2500 4dr 8foot bed.

80% of the time I COULD drive a Honda Civic.

Lumber gets delivered for framing. Most everything I can actually have delivered. I use my truck to pick up tile, trim, take garbage out etc.

We build custom homes. All tools are onsite or in a trailer. I could make the commute everyday and go estimate jobs in a car.

Most pickups you see don’t carry anything 90% of the time.
Change my mind.

Not going to change your mind or mine. I go on many hunting trips per year. I haul lots of equipment, coolers, dead animals etc. and I often hit the road and drive 4-800 miles a day. Small vehicles won’t haul what I need to haul and an e vehicle would take multiple extra days to get to and from. When an e vehicle will haul what I need hauled and can run 800 miles on a charge in cool/cold weather and be as economical as gas, I’ll buy one.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RupertBear

And a plant is being built now in Ontario that will recycle and re-use the chemicals and metals in the EV (including hybrid) batteries when they do need replacing.
RB

What will be the cost of recycling the batteries? That cost will get passed to the owners of the e vehicle, or maybe some kind of tax on all of us.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First, my bad. The Windsor, Ontario site lost out to NC, which is where the plant is being built. This is hearsay, but a Prius-owning friend says that the cost of a replacement battery will be about $2K, with a trade-in of the old one. That'll be a cost about once a decade.
RB

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It is bleedingly obvious that some people do not know the difference between an electric vehicle and a hybrid.

Among a whole lot more. Another classic 'fire thread as the site continues to dumb down.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I read an article from Popular Mechanics or Popular Science a while back. They checked out a 10 year old Toyota Pruis hybrid. The batterys lost a little over a 10 year period, but it was still in the high 90% range of charging. I think this Prius had over 150,000 miles on it. Not bad. It could go about 45 miles on electric without the engine. Good for commuting and doing various shopping chores for most Americans. Larger hybrids have more battery space and usually longer electric only range.

I think hybrids are a good compromise for the next 10-20 years. Gets high gasoline mileage and saves for around town driving. Grid is the problem.

I also read that going full throttle to change the grid is not going to happen for at least 60 years. Full throttle "green new deal" will take the next 25 years to install enough windmills and solar panels and hydro dams to get to 44% renewable power. We would still need 31% natural gas and the rest nuclear just to replace coal fired plants. So it would take another 25-30 years just to replace natural gas. Not going to happen overnight. Same is true with electrics. Hybrids now, then full electrics when they get newer better batteries and faster charging times.

Several years ago, and they are still working on this, they thought graphine capacitor batteries would allow fast charging. They do, but trying to get slow release of power from a capacitor to run a car is hard to do. Giant capacitors can charge in just a few minutes, but they want to release the same way. If they could master this, it would make capacitor batteries fast charging and cheap to build. Iron batteries are now being studied. Far cheaper than lithium cobalt or nickel. Still have more battery work.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
We wont need gas or nuclear once the price of coal comes down.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Too, there are alternatives for less-than-rural folk to owning a pu. Utility trailers for light-to-medium weight hauling, and rental trucks for the time or two each year when they are what's needed. I live way out in the boondocks and have lived without a pu for over a decade, so I know it can be done without undue inconvenience.
RB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
We wont need gas or nuclear once the price of coal comes down.

The Western world is too propagandized and brainwashed to allow it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Most household 220/240 outlets (dryer, welder, etc) are 50 to 60 amp.

I have one 50 amp 220 on the outside of the wellhouse for an RV plug and two wells inside. Another 50 amp RV plug on the outside of the garage, as well as a 50 amp welder circuit in the garage.

The house has one 60 amp feeding the furnace as well as a 30 amp to the AC, 50 amps to the dryer, 30 amps to the water heater, and 40 amps to the range.

This is all fed from one 200 amp main at the meter. You just don't run every circuit at maximum capacity simultaneously.

RV outlets are 110v not 220

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,796
Posts18,536,459
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.