Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It looks like spring is creeping up towards Montana, love your pictures. My target is to hit 200 annual miles before the end of the month, still in AZ the temps have not gotten to hot yet.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Been doing a little cross country skiing in all the warm weather. Did about 3/4 of a mile on snowshoes in the copper river valley sugar powder a few weeks back. Postholing up to the nuts 90% of the time and hating life. Was wishing I had my skis the whole time.

I need to look into fat/short skis with skins. I think that could be pretty cool.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm having a tough time being consistent. Caught the Covid last month and knocked me on my butt. Still tired a lot but I got 3 dreadmill runs each of the last two weeks. Not far and not fast but improving. Plan to get 3 more in this week and maybe add the bike or strength stuff the following. Youngest son (14) has been tearing it up on the treadmill. Oh, to be young...

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
Been doing a little cross country skiing in all the warm weather. Did about 3/4 of a mile on snowshoes in the copper river valley sugar powder a few weeks back. Postholing up to the nuts 90% of the time and hating life. Was wishing I had my skis the whole time.

I need to look into fat/short skis with skins. I think that could be pretty cool.

I can relate. My last snowshoe outing there was with about an inch ice crust and sugar snow underneath (1-3' depending on where I was at). The inch crust wouldn't keep you afloat at all and it was like stepping on thin ice on a lake- cracking in large chunks. Then you would sink deeply in that crap snow and when you lifted your leg you had to fight both the snow and the crust layer each time- sucked!!!!

I have a pair (actually two, one for my wife) of Altai Hoks- wide, have a long length of skin and universal bindings (use any boots) much more flotation and quicker generally. The drawback for me is descending steeper terrain- I need to get some lessons on slowing/stopping and turning laugh. The skins help a little slowing you down on descents, but I can still pick up too much speed. They climb pretty well, but if really steep (and or icy) snowshoes do much better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Run log update:

Week 10 (Mar 6-12): 15.9
Mar Total: 32.2

2022 Total: 114.9 / 10 ( 11.49 / Wk)

Had to rearrange the schedule due to some travel but got 2 strength workouts in and 3 good runs. Will start this week with 8 miles today.

Last edited by philgood80; 03/13/22.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
39 miles on the trails this week, 369 for the year; weather is starting to improve

two strength training sessions this week, will bump up the lifts for next week

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
5 miles around the neighborhood.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Originally Posted by cwh2

I can relate. My last snowshoe outing there was with about an inch ice crust and sugar snow underneath (1-3' depending on where I was at). The inch crust wouldn't keep you afloat at all and it was like stepping on thin ice on a lake- cracking in large chunks. Then you would sink deeply in that crap snow and when you lifted your leg you had to fight both the snow and the crust layer each time- sucked!!!!

I have a pair (actually two, one for my wife) of Altai Hoks- wide, have a long length of skin and universal bindings (use any boots) much more flotation and quicker generally. The drawback for me is descending steeper terrain- I need to get some lessons on slowing/stopping and turning laugh. The skins help a little slowing you down on descents, but I can still pick up too much speed. They climb pretty well, but if really steep (and or icy) snowshoes do much better.

A few years back I drew an archery moose tag on JBER, the combined Army/Air Force base that borders town. Good tag, but I managed to shoot a bull 2 miles from the truck in December. I called a few people and they called a few people. Base reps usually show up and take a tissue sample, etc. They saw where I was and just bailed. Can't blame them there. I butchered the thing solo, but I could hear people approaching. First guy that showed up was a total stranger to me. He was a friend of a friend and wanted to help. On skis with skins, and I have been interested since. He beat people there by 20 minutes. We put a shoulder in his pack and off he went, right around dark. The trail was icy and downright dangerous without spikes. Saw multiple places on the hike out where he had wiped out and tumbled into the alders. That had me reconsidering skis. Got to the truck and the shoulder is in my truck bed and he's gone. Pretty funny.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
moose two miles from the truck quickly sorts your friends out laugh

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Biking a few miles in the AM with the dog then doing HIIT workouts Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday. Wednesdays are a 10,000 M row, benchmark workout. Made it in 39min 55sec today.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Run Log Update:

Week 11 (Mar 13-19): 16.8
Mar Total: 49.0

2022 Total: 131.7 / 11 ( 11.97 / Wk)

My biggest week this year. Original goal was to run 500 miles this year. If I can get a few big weeks I might be able to average 50 miles a month for 600 this year. We will see. Had 2 strength workouts this week. Hoping to add a 3 strength workout a week and continuing long runs on Sunday’s to prep for a Half Marathon in Nov.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
I purchased a 12 week rucking program from Jeff Nichols at Performance First. Mr. Nichols is an exercise physiologist (cscs, tsac), former devgru operator, and knows his stuff when it comes to strength and conditioning prescription.

I'm going to begin the 12wk program in mid June to end at mid September to peak for hunting season. It appears to be a well balanced program geared to prepare you for load bearing rucking in mountainous terrain (albeit not specifically for hunting)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I purchased a 12 week rucking program from Jeff Nichols at Performance First. Mr. Nichols is an exercise physiologist (cscs, tsac), former devgru operator, and knows his stuff when it comes to strength and conditioning prescription.

I'm going to begin the 12wk program in mid June to end at mid September to peak for hunting season. It appears to be a well balanced program geared to prepare you for load bearing rucking in mountainous terrain (albeit not specifically for hunting)

You'll have to let us know what you think when you get into it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
37 miles on the trail this week, year total is now 406 miles- only squeezed one strength training session in this week

packed up and headed out tomorrow for a 90 mile snowshoe trip across the Bob Marshall (and Great Bear) Wilderness, hoping to finish Saturday

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
mtwarden, when you make these extended trips in the "Bob" and otherwise do you carry a handgun with you?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Spring break, so I have 9 days to walk without the interruptions of a job etc. Two for two so far!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
mtwarden, when you make these extended trips in the "Bob" and otherwise do you carry a handgun with you?

usually just bear spray; if I'm hunting the early rifle season in there- I have my rifle and bear spray

occasionally I'm accompanying someone else that is hunting (and I'm not) and tthen I'll carry my handgun and bear spray; ditto when I was working in there

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yesterday I did back squat 4x6 up to 225lbs (focusing on form), leg press 4x6 300lbs, one leg squat, and split squat. Then intervals on the treadmill for 2 miles.

Today will be chest with flat bench, incline dumbells, push-ups, and Flys. Probably 30mins on the stationary bike.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm not as dedicated as you guys, but I'm down 20 pounds since the first of the year and 20 more to go by September 1st. I've been intermittent fasting and walking 5-6 miles of hilly for Iowa terrain 3 times a week and riding the exercise bike if the weather is too bad. It sure is a lot tougher to get into shape than it was a few decades ago when I just stayed in shape!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Run log update:

Week 12 (Mar 20-26): 13.5
Mar Total: 62.5

2022 Total: 145.2 / 12 (12.10 / Wk)

Missed a run day but got in an extra strength workout. Have a great rest of the weekend all!

Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,179
Posts18,484,697
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.