Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
If you were to buy a new truck today, what would it be? Now this is hypothetical factoring in todays truck and vehicle craziness. I would get a red F-250 regular cab eight foot bed 4wd with the 7.3 and 4:30 rear. Plain jane

Regular cab ?

Thinking a 4 dr crew & short bed just makes more sense for my uses

Along with being more available ?

No new truck in my future....too much $$$$$

my ole Chevy 2500HD short bed crew/gasser turns 20 YO in May

Sticker was $33K cry

I have a regular cab 2016 silverado now. I'm usually the only one in it. I like the long bed too.

GB1

J
JHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have 2 trucks
2000 XL F-250 7.3 Powerstroke single cab 8ft bed 4X4 white 230,000 miles and it still runs strong. I use it to tow a 30ft 5th shell camper, motorcycle trailer, boat and anything else that needs to be dragged down the road. This truck has no frills, manual everything. But it did come with the upgraded headlights and bumpers. I bought it with 7,000 miles on the clock for $27,000.

2019 XLT F-150 FX4 6 cyl eco boost, 10 speed auto extended cab short bed. Ruby Red. 25,000 miles on it now. 6 when I bought it.
Towing package, trailer back up assist, heated seats, 36 gal tank, ect. I bought it on Dec 31, 2019. It listed for $57,xxx I paid $48,000.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
If you were to buy a new truck today, what would it be? Now this is hypothetical factoring in todays truck and vehicle craziness. I would get a red F-250 regular cab eight foot bed 4wd with the 7.3 and 4:30 rear. Plain jane

Told the local dealer here last Friday to write me up a quote on a Chevy crew Trail Boss (light silver) that's been sitting on the lot for about a month. I needed to stop Monday morning anyway because some paint repairs they made to my 2020 crew were chipping and they had to fix them. Nice truck with the 6.2 in it. Didn't care for the 2" lift but like I said it's sharp (Blacked out front end).

Ended up going down Monday morning and didn't have to decide, they'd sold the truck Saturday. I was kind of happy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

Told the local dealer here last Friday to write me up a quote on a Chevy crew Trail Boss (light silver) that's been sitting on the lot for about a month. I needed to stop Monday morning anyway because some paint repairs they made to my 2020 crew were chipping and they had to fix them. Nice truck with the 6.2 in it. Didn't care for the 2" lift but like I said it's sharp (Blacked out front end).

Ended up going down Monday morning and didn't have to decide, they'd sold the truck Saturday. I was kind of happy.

That's the truck I most often see on lots around here. 5.3 tho

Me

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by hanco
A Dodge 3/4 diesel 4 wheel drive. Diesel is more expensive but you get way better fuel mileage. My friend has a gasser Chevy, gets 11 MPG. I get 20 in mine

The pm costs are what always scared me off of a diesel

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've been wanting to upgrade to a full-sized pickup from my Frontier, but despite looking pretty hard, I haven't found any of the full-sized pickups that I like enough to swap off from the mid-sized Frontier. There's nothing to speak of, on the local stealership lots, and they can't get anything I want in any reasonable time frame, either.

There's nothing wrong with the Frontier whatsoever, so it looks like I'll hang onto it for the forseeable future, and be happy to do so. I don't haul anything except an occasional deer, so I don't really need a bigger vehicle anyway. The grandkids ARE getting bigger, though, and soon enough I'll have to get a larger vehicle so they can ride comfortably. My King Cab won't get it, no matter their sizes.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My fire dept just bought a new Ford crew cab longbox.

Don't know it works in MT, but in PA, municipalities and VFDs can usually purchase new vehicles and get the state's fleet discount. Then there are the actual firetrucks. Yikes, every VFD where I live, has to have as much bling as they can bolt onto a new firetruck. The more chrome, SS and polished aluminum, the better.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
For starters if I were to buy a new truck, it'd be a real truck like the one I have now. A one ton, long bed, crew cab, 4x4, diesel. I'm pretty happy with my 06 F350 King Ranch besides the fuel mileage. But a dually diesel with 4.30 gears isn't meant to be a grocery getter.

Real truck...

The 1999 F250 with a 7.3 is a real truck also. My dually has close to 340 gallons of diesel fuel in the bed that I'm fixing to pump in my boat. Short beds are for girls and pretty boys.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I've been wanting to upgrade to a full-sized pickup from my Frontier, but despite looking pretty hard, I haven't found any of the full-sized pickups that I like enough to swap off from the mid-sized Frontier. There's nothing to speak of, on the local stealership lots, and they can't get anything I want in any reasonable time frame, either.

There's nothing wrong with the Frontier whatsoever, so it looks like I'll hang onto it for the forseeable future, and be happy to do so. I don't haul anything except an occasional deer, so I don't really need a bigger vehicle anyway. The grandkids ARE getting bigger, though, and soon enough I'll have to get a larger vehicle so they can ride comfortably. My King Cab won't get it, no matter their sizes.

Nothing wrong with the Frontier (I'm not anti Nissan by a long shot, they make great vehicles)?

Buddy has a crew Frontier (I actually know a lot of guys here that have them). I get WAY better gas milage in my Chevy crew than he does. He has a 6 mine is a 5.3 V8. It's actually very disgusting to me that they can't make that vehicle get much better gas milage than it does.

Like I said I'm not a hater on Nissan, I think they make a great product.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I buy what I a.lready own 2004 loaded Duramax..pre- .gov requirements

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Planning to order a 2023 Silverado in June, four door, short box, 6.2 liter gas. Color, white or silver.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dale06
Planning to order a 2023 Silverado in June, four door, short box, 6.2 liter gas. Color, white or silver.

White or silver for this guy also. Won't own another vehicle any other color, expecially black.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Nothing wrong with the Frontier (I'm not anti Nissan by a long shot, they make great vehicles)?

Buddy has a crew Frontier (I actually know a lot of guys here that have them). I get WAY better gas milage in my Chevy crew than he does. He has a 6 mine is a 5.3 V8. It's actually very disgusting to me that they can't make that vehicle get much better gas milage than it does.

Know a guy with a Nissan Titan - he can't drive past a gas station. HORRIBLE mpg, like single digits without the power that normally would go with.

Me

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Teal

Know a guy with a Nissan Titan - he can't drive past a gas station. HORRIBLE mpg, like single digits without the power that normally would go with.

Exactly and the Frontiers aren't any better. Those little crew cabs (4wd) eat gas like candy.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
2022 GMC SRW 3500HD 4x4 with Duramax if I was going to buy a new one. My 2018 GMC 2500HD 4x4 with Duramax does everything I've needed to do. also, my wife has a 2020 GMC with the 3.0 liter diesel and it's a bad ass little motor for what it is.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Teal

Exactly and the Frontiers aren't any better. Those little crew cabs (4wd) eat gas like candy.

Precisely why I'm considering buying the full-sized pickup, I might as well be comfortable in a full-sized pickup if it gets the same mileage. A buddy just bought a new Ram with the 5.7 Hemi and he claims he gets 24MPG on the highway, which is better than my Frontier has ever gotten, even when brand-new. I think it's the combination of the big 6 cylinder and the gearing for towing (they all come with "Tow Package" whether you want it or not). They put pretty wide tires on them, too, and that doesn't help mileage any at all, either.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a 2006 LBZ Duramax 2500HD I bought new that now has 151K miles. Every time I look at the cost of a new truck, I think my old one looks better. I haven't been able (yet) to bring myself to pay the prices being asked for a new truck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A new truck is too spendy for me, but I go and build a truck on the Ford or Chevy website every so often.

Ford F-350 XL (I hate bling and doo-dads on automobiles, so give me a WORK truck).
White
Crew Cab (4-door)
4x4
8' Bed,
SRW
7.3L gas V-8
3.73 or 4.30, Electronic Locking not sure which is ht ebest way ot go with the 7.3L
FX4 package, remove the FX4 decals : AT tires, Hill descent, Skid plates
Snow Plow / Camper Package (+ springs fornt & rear, 200amp alt, rear stab bar
Vinyl bench seats
Rubber floor
Engine block heater, battery heater, and aftermarket trickle charger for battery

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM
For starters if I were to buy a new truck, it'd be a real truck like the one I have now. A one ton, long bed, crew cab, 4x4, diesel. I'm pretty happy with my 06 F350 King Ranch besides the fuel mileage. But a dually diesel with 4.30 gears isn't meant to be a grocery getter.

Real truck...

The 1999 F250 with a 7.3 is a real truck also. My dually has close to 340 gallons of diesel fuel in the bed that I'm fixing to pump in my boat. Short beds are for girls and pretty boys.

For my needs, and many others I suspect, I would be an idiot to buy a "real truck". Too funny...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think I'll just stick with my 20+ year old Tacoma.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,868 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.