Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

Well my current north star AGM’s lasted 5 years… so its time to kick them..
Lithiums cost double, BUT they last 10 or more years, and they don’t have the gradual voltage fall off that the AGM / lead batt’s do.

I only researched this crud 3 years before pulling the trigger !! But still OUCH..
I upgraded my charger from a 3 bank to a 4 bank as well… I don’t plan on adding another battery too quickly, but when I flip boats I will go up to a 36 volt trolling motor.

I still have the AGM cranking battery to change out so the pain it’s over just yet.

Nice part - aside from having twice the performance with the lithiums, is my Northstars weight 75lbs a freakin piece… OMG !! The new lithium’s are 31lbs a piece…

Ah how boats are holes in the water, but yet bring so much joy….

Spoonbill & fishing season are upon us boys.

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Shooter,
Is the lithium a dual purpose , to be used as your house battery?

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I’m running 12 volt 100 amp hour’s in series for the trolling motor on my Lund Alaskan.

It is a deep cycle, but I’m pretty sure you could use it to crank if you had too… I plan on getting a regular marine battery for the engine / electronics….

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I’m running 12 volt 100 amp hour’s in series for the trolling motor on my Lund Alaskan.

It is a deep cycle, but I’m pretty sure you could use it to crank if you had too… I plan on getting a regular marine battery for the engine / electronics….

Some motor manufacturers don't recommend lithium for starting batteries. Suzuki for sure and I heard maybe Mercury also.

Has to do with their charging systems not being compatible.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I switched out the batteries in my boats this winter to Dakota lithium’s. I also switched all portable fish finder batteries to Dakota. Yes it was a cost but the long warranty is a plus and more than that the how incredibly light weight they are.

They say you only have to pay for quality once, I hope so in this case. I also purchased the chargers they recommended.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I watched a crazy kid on Youtube tear apart all the Lithiums, and they all used the same cells, but the wiring, and over-engineering (capacity) some had vs. others was really impressive.

One of the guys on bass boat central must sell them because he was alluding to those facts, but he hadn’t found the engineering details.

Battle born batteries up 20% more cells than they need to meet the 100 amp hours…. They do so because some cells over time can croak, and the control circuits can take them out of the path.

Solid Sate drives work the same way, they over engineer the storage and replace bad sectors until they run out of surplus.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Lithiums are nice due to the weight savings and the constant power... mine have just as much power at 20% as they do at 99% but the cost is crazy.... they are definitely cheaper than they were but still crazy.... also had to upgrade my charger to a 4 bank MinnKota that is programmable so the 3 trolling batteries are set to lithium and the one bank is set for the agm starting battery.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Following

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doing a travel trailer transition to lithium at the moment and it's not plug and play. Many of the RV folks are surprisingly mental midgets when it comes to the subject. My research says they're superior for long slow draw downs, but not for delivery of heavy cranking power needed with engine starts etc. Unlike lead/acids, a full draw down does no harm to lithium but quickly wreck lead/acids.

Also, one may have to beef up his charging system, as the lithium batteries need around 14.6 volts to fully charge as opposed to the 12.4 or so for lead acids. A 12 volt system will only put about a 75 to 80% charge on a lithium bank. The jury still seems to be out on whether less than full charges are harmful or not.

I have my battery in hand, but can't find a supplier to furnish the higher voltage converter at the moment. A fairly well informed RV friend says I should get about 4 times more life/charge from a single 200 amp/hour unit than I was getting with a pair of 12 volt deep cycle units.

I'd be inclined to stick with lead/acid for big engine starts and lithium for deep cycle work. That does complicate ones charging system though.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/29/22.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1minute, Check out the yandina lithium combiner. It combines/parallels the lithium and starting once the voltage rises (starting battery reaches full charge). At a higher voltage than a standard ACR like a blue seas version. Also, depending on your rig, there might be a way to up your charging voltage from your alternator. I used a diode in my tundra on the alternator sensor circuit to up the charging by 0.5 volts. It’s probably too high for a lithium though as I think most shut off charging if the voltage exceeds 14.6.

I just received two Lithiums I’m rigging for my boat to run the trolling motor. I had a 36v minnkota on my last boat and successfully used Trojan deep cycles for a number of years. Had to be super diligent to fully charge after every use. Then I left the charger hooked up for an extended period of time and ruined three batteries. Charger was supposed to be safe to leave plugged in indefinitely but it overcharged and boiled the water out. Big replacement costs. I guess my point is I’m not sure the lithiums aren’t going to wind up behind cheaper in the long run. Care seems much easier they don’t care if they sit at a low charge rate and they have a bms to protect against overcharging. And so rated for so many cycles. Hopefully if they last twice as long they will wind up cheaper.

Sean
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

there is a kid on YouTube that tears apart lithium car & RV batteries…

Battle born is the only maker that puts in 10% more cells, and has MUCH heavier wire and better control internally that the rest.

So when you buy a 100 amp hour Battle born - you are actually getting a 110 amp hour..

I just installed mine today - keep in mind you need a special charger to tend them, and if you will have them in a cold (below freezing) environment you need to get internally headed battery’s…. You can discharge them cold, but if you charge them cold it will hurt them.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Here is the kid that tears them down and shows you battleborn overbuilds.

He tears apart a bunch of the big names - they all use the same cells - the number of cells & the wiring and control boards are what set them apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5E30u-66V

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, that’s where I found out about the Aolithiums. He ran a 12v 100ah at 200 amps and it lasted 27 min. I’m not sure battleborn can do that.

https://youtu.be/ty3K1Ix69wE

Sean
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I think the Battleborn guys are like HP when they first started out - an group of Engineer oriented folks…

I’m glad the others are starting to step up to the plate.

Right now the big ones are Relion, Battleborn, and I forget the other one.. at least sales wise - which is important because of how stable the warranty will be.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never took the time to dig into this topic. 40 years ago the best we could do with our trolling motors were giant wet cell batteries like Trojan. I used to camp at Lake Powell remotely and could use my trolling motor to fish for a full week before batteries got too low. I still remember using a killer 25 amp charger and it taking 30 hrs or more to recharge them fully.

I changed my fishing style to a lake where I stay on property with electricity. I switched to AGMs as they could be recharged quickly. I use them for two outings then charge and they are fully charged within 4-5 hrs.

Enter the lithiums! Just watched this video done by an electrical engineer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy3hga_P5YY

Learned plenty. They offer more power are lighter and still recharge more quickly than wet cell batteries perhaps a bit faster than AGMs. Lots going for them except their price and a special charger. I will certainly consider going to Lithiums when the AGMs wear out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the special charger requirements are way overstated. I think they are much more accommodating than SLA or AGM when it comes to charging. 5 to 50 amps, shouldn’t matter as long as it’s between 14-14.6v.

Sean
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I was using Northstar pure lead technology battlers but MAN O MAN are they heavy - 80lbs a battery, and mine are up front… add a really have bow mounted trolling motor and it’s hard to make things run right…

I did upgrade my on-board charger… but mostly for battery warranty issues…

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
1minute.... get a minkota digital charger. Whether it's 2/3/4/5 bank, EACH bank can be programmed to a different battery type. I have a 4 bank... 3 are set to lithium and one is set to agm for the cranking battery.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Hardway - did you have to send it to them to adjust it or can you tweak the settings ?

I bought a new Dual Pro that auto detects and charges (Dual Pro Auto)…

but to change my old Dual Pro 3 bank I have to mail it in to them, and then they will adjust what ever banks I want for $15… not bad but you have to be without it for a bit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is some good info, seems like the critical thing is not to overcharge past full. A lot of automatic smart chargers even with Lifepo4 settings use a float charge and can take a Lifepo4 past full. Just turning the charger off when it hits 100% soc or slightly before is perfect.

https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/

Sean
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 29 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,746
Posts18,495,188
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.