Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
I've been shooting deer and hogs with a .223 almost exclusively for about ten years. All under three hundred yards with 55-62gr pills. Great results. If I have to shoot longer, I grab one of the larger rifles.

So if a deer is out there at 350 yards and a .223 is in your hands, it walks?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
I've been shooting deer and hogs with a .223 almost exclusively for about ten years. All under three hundred yards with 55-62gr pills. Great results. If I have to shoot longer, I grab one of the larger rifles.

or limps

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
The question is, will they consistently kill above 200lb animals as well as perhaps a .270. .280 or .30-06?

Not to be argumentative, but dead is dead!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well I haven't seen any evidence of the small caliber boys changing their views, so maybe their heads ARE as hard. And as far as getting softer shoulders in the last generation, on average far less manual work is done this generation than in years gone by, far less outside activities....except for a small percentage who work-out a lot, they are getting softer.

You’re correct that the people who have shared their opinions and results have not changed their views because some guys on the internet might need to shoot one in the butt so it doesn’t get away.

What would the man who cuts up all your deer meat for you think about that shot placement? Grin.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to do a bit of deer hunting with the 243 but my State then opened a concurrent deer/bear season so I mostly went back to my 30-06 class rifles because I'm always more interested in taking a Bear than a deer.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by moosemike
I just wish for once we could have this conversation without Karamojo Bell being brought into it. Keep dreaming right

I call it irrelephant hunting.

grin

The best lesson to be taken from Bell is his study of animal anatomy and his emphasis on practicing gun handling and dryfire. It is amazing how good shot placement becomes easier w/ lots of practice and knowing exactly where the vitals are located.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by lastround
The question is, will they consistently kill above 200lb animals as well as perhaps a .270. .280 or .30-06?

Not wanting to be argumentative either, but in reply to your statement, if a bigger caliber gives a higher % in being dead than another caliber, then one gives more dead than the other. So in that respect, something can be more dead.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Well I haven't seen any evidence of the small caliber boys changing their views, so maybe their heads ARE as hard. And as far as getting softer shoulders in the last generation, on average far less manual work is done this generation than in years gone by, far less outside activities....except for a small percentage who work-out a lot, they are getting softer.

You’re correct that the people who have shared their opinions and results have not changed their views because some guys on the internet might need to shoot one in the butt so it doesn’t get away.

What would the man who cuts up all your deer meat for you think about that shot placement? Grin.
Mostly I cut up my own meat, except when with a guide. If I were to reach up into the vitals with a rear end shot with a heavy caliber and a heavy bullet that stays together, I would be pleased with that shot placement.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Well…that was fun.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It was.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Yep... I could hit it, but it would not have the necessary umph behind it for an ethical shot. Would it kill the animal??? Probably... I'm the only person that hunts my tracts and if it is one I want, I can come back better armed or get closer. I practice with my big guns at much longer range. I limit myself to 300 on the little gun.

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 03/31/22.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Yep... I could hit it, but it would not have the necessary umph behind it for an ethical shot. Would it kill the animal??? Probably... I'm the only person that hunts my tracts and if it is one I want, I can come back better armed or get closer. I practice with my big guns at much longer range. I limit myself to 300 on the little gun.

Lol

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by lastround

Not wanting to be argumentative either, but in reply to your statement, if a bigger caliber gives a higher % in being dead than another caliber, then one gives more dead than the other. So in that respect, something can be more dead.

More powder and larger diameter bullet of greater weight absolutely does not guarantee a quicker kill on deer. It doesn’t even make it more likely. And yes I’m talking about proper shot placement and not intentionally putting a bullet in the azz end of a deer hoping it runs full length forward.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Late for the show here.

To the OP, Some of my longest kills have been with my 223. I’m now enjoying a 6.5 Grendel.

I like using 25-27 grains of powder in a light, handy rifle, minimal recoil and noise with plenty of power to kill as far as I would probably shoot at a deer short of sitting in an elevated box blind with a heavy barreled magnum of some sort.

I’m learning just how over-gunned I have been for deer.

Plus I have 5000 number 41 primers to go with a couple dozen pounds of 4895 and 2230 with enough .224 and .264 bullets to feed a small city. Should keep me in the pork and venison for a while.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 03/31/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
I have about decided that these sorts of questions are all up to personal preference and comfort. If you’re not comfortable shooting smaller caliber rifles at animals, don’t. I’m not gonna judge you either way.

For me personally, it doesn’t matter what size caliber I have in my hands I’m always looking for a ethical broadside shoulder crease, shoulder blade, low front shoulder shot. I’ll make adjustments for quartering away or quartering to presentations, but I’m always looking to put a bullet in the heart lung area broadside. The only time I’m shooting a deer running is if somebody I’m hunting with made a bad shot and we’re trying to put the animal down. Even then I’m still looking for heart/lung No matter what caliber. And yes, I have turned down shots of trophy deer because they were facing dead straight at me, or they were walking directly away from me. And I had plenty of gun that would’ve put those animals down quickly and ethically.

Ultimately, it is a personal choice what caliber to use and what bullet to use.

Good post

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Most experienced hunters have figured out what works for them under the conditions they encounter. The trouble starts when we start to postulate on what DOESN'T work, usually without trying it. Deer are pretty easy to kill with well placed shots and incredibly tough with poor ones. The idea that a .216 Whizbang, or whatever, through the ribs makes a deer die should not surprise anyone. In my world, there's no reason to choose a very small cartridge but your choice is up to you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed deer with a 223, and seen them killed with a 22LR. However, as far as I'm concerned, the 243 is the smallest cartridge that I'll use or let my grandkids use.. Just because something will work for a certain job does not mean it is the best choice for that job. There are authenticated accounts of people using a 22 rifle to kill grizzly bears and elephants, but that certainly does not mean they are the best choice in that situation.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, I don't care what someone else chooses to hunt with, as that's their right. Cartridges such as the 223, will easily kill a deer, and much larger game as well, as long as you put the right bullet in the right place. But, I do believe that these smaller calibers should be used by hunters who know what they're doing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spotting hits, which is easier with the smaller rounds does have some value, to me at least. There have been times I have hit deer with standard .270/.308/.300 rounds, which during recoil I couldn't confirm the deer's reaction to the shot: if it went down immediately, if it turned around and ran the way it came from, etc. This is generally only an issue in tight cover, but it has been an issue for me before.

That is one of many advantages to using smaller rounds. It isn't all just about girly men not being able to tolerate that dreaded .270 Win recoil. That is a non issue that many anti .22 CF people seem to think is. I will say though, that to be proficient at 500+ yards I have had to put a lot of rounds downrange, to which standard deer rifle recoil and round cost has caused me to go smaller.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Last fall I saw two deer under 100 yards from where I stood, slapped down with a 243 and they could not have gone down faster if a truck hit them.

I know there are a million variables on this sort of stuff, but it sure seems like a 223 would have been just fine, if a 243 was a bolt of lightning.

All depends on where they're hit, what bullet, etc.

But I don't think, under 200 yards or so, that I would doubt the 223

Last edited by mjbgalt; 04/01/22.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I use everything from a .22-250 to a 45-70 because all will kill the deer we have in the area I hunt in . My most used rifle is a Remington 788 carbine in .243 Winchester. One round correctly placed and they are down within no more than 30 yards and usually less than 30 feet . What more would you want ?

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (8MMX57JS, Akhutr, ak_Rick, 9 invisible), 908 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,101
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.