Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I recently bought a 4" python, one of the new ones. The plan was to shoot pistols more and since I've been casting again and now powder coating I thought I'd run a bunch of 148g wad cutters down the target range. However, after getting the python I found that the single action part of the trigger sucks. Mine is really quite bad, easily the worst of all my revolvers.

I love the looks of the python so I was thinking of sending it in for s trigger job but then I thought maybe I'll just keep it new and stash it away and buy another 4" 357 to practice with and carry afield. I used to have a 7 shot gp100 327 fed that I really liked so I looked at one of those today in 357.

With the price of the rugers now I can pretty much buy a 686 for the same price. I've never had a 686 but I have a 44 mtn gun a 45 lc mtn gun and a 5" classic 29 in 44 mag and I really like all of them. So in a 7 shot 357 for you prefer a gp100 or a 686?

Bb

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
686, no doubt.

RS

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
686 for me. I kinda like the GP100 too, but have never owned one of my own.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

686 for me, I’ve had both. I’m a Ruger fan but the 686’s I’ve had I liked better and shot better than my GP100’s.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RipSnort
686, no doubt.

RS

+1

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pre lock 686.

Would not even consider a Ruger.
In any flavor.

Have a Python, old one.

But if I didnt, Id have a 686.
4 or 6"

8 3/8" is fun for clanging stéel but thats about it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d look at the Kimber revolver too, 3 or 4”, very nice.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have an older 686 with the firing pin on the hammer, I have about 10,000 rounds through it and still shoots flawlessly. I'm with the OP on the new Python........the trigger SUCK's and needs worked on, a GP100 would need a bit of trigger work as well

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My buddy and I bought .357’s at the same time. He bought a GP 100, I bought a 686. Shoot them together, he prefers my 686. I do too. Trigger, mostly. I understand the Ruger can be improved, but out of the box the difference is significant. The Ruger is certainly a hearty gun, you can see that just looking at them side by side; top strap, build in general. I would do that exactly - look at them side by side if you can. Dry fire if they’ll let you. Get whichever speaks to you.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 04/03/22.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
686. I probably have in excess of 20,00 rounds thru mine. If I were thinking Ruger, I'd look to a used Security Six instead of the GP .When the GP's came out I looked them over,shot a few. I liked my 4" Security Six better. My 686 goes to the range when I go.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/03/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My 3" GP100 must've had the greatest factory trigger ever 3 lb single 9.5 lb double and I shot it lots from wadcutters to J.D Jones level 170 grain and it ate them all. But the Smith is a good marque so buy both.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Burleyboy: I have several Smith & Wesson Model 686's in various barrel lengths (2 1/2", 4", 6" and 8 3/8") and LOVE them all!
I have never owned (or wanted to own) a Ruger GP100.
I base this on the lesser aesthetics of the Ruger and the amazing balance, feel, looks, performance of the Model 686's I own.
I am not saying a GP-100 is not a good pistol - I am saying the Smith & Wesson Model 686's ARE outstanding guns and good investments.
Best of luck with whichever you choose - maybe "Daverageguy" is right - consider buying them both?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S&W is dead around here. Pieces of sh*t spit on the constitution and joined Clinton in enforcing gun control and deciding normal citizens couldn’t and shouldn’t have AR’s.
Remember this before you give love to traitors.

Today�s agreement represents the first time a major gun manufacturer has committed to fundamentally change the way guns are designed, distributed and marketed. This deal shows what is possible when we work together in good faith. We applaud Smith and Wesson's leadership, and hope other responsible members of the gun industry will step forward too.
Some of the key provisions of the agreement include:
New design standards to make guns safer and prevent accidental shootings and gun deaths

Locking devices. Safety locking devices will be required for handguns and pistols, external locking devices within 60 days and internal locking devices within 24 months.

Smart guns. Two percent of annual firearms revenues will be dedicated to the development of authorized user technology that can limit a gun�s use to its proper owner. Authorized user technology will be included in all new firearm models within 36 months.

Large capacity magazines. New firearms will not be able to accept ammunition magazines with a capacity of over 10 rounds. The manufacture of such magazines has been prohibited since 1994.

Safety testing and standards. All firearms are to be tested by ATF to ensure that they meet performance and safety standards such as drop tests.

Other safety devices. Within one year, all pistols will have chamber load indictors to show that a pistol is loaded to prevent accidents, and magazine disconnectors will be available to customers within 12 months.

New sales and distribution controls to help keep guns out of the hands of criminals and help law enforcement crack down on illegal gun traffickers. Under the deal, manufacturers will agree to sell only to authorized dealers and distributors who agree to a code of conduct. The code of conduct imposes new requirements on authorized dealers and distributors.

Cutting off dealers with disproportionate crime guns. Under the agreement, manufacturers will take action against dealers or distributors who sell disproportionate numbers of guns that turn up in crimes within three years of sale, including termination or suspension against the dealer or distributor.

Gun shows. Authorized dealers cannot sell at gun shows unless every seller at the gun show conducts background checks.

Ballistics testing. To help law enforcement trace guns used in crime when only the bullet or casing is recovered, ballistics fingerprints will be provided for all new firearms to ATF/FBI National Integrated Ballistics Identification Network within 6 months if technologically feasible.

Safety training for purchasers. No sales will be made to dealers who do not require gun purchasers to demonstrate that they can safety handle and store firearms.

Theft prevention. No sales will be made to dealers who do not implement a security plan to prevent gun theft.

Weapons attractive to criminals. Authorized dealers and distributors will not sell large capacity ammunition magazines or semiautomatic assault weapons.

Restrictions on multiple handgun sales. To deter illegal gun trafficking, dealers must agree to new limits on multiple handgun sales. All purchasers of multiple handguns can only take one handgun from the day of sale, the remainder 14 days later.

Swifty
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I’d vote 686 by a mile.

It’s sad the prices of Rugers have gone up so much because that would be my choice for something I’d carry anywhere anytime and not worry about it. Far fewer moving pieces and far less delicate. They can polish up quite nicely too and with a spring kit can have a great trigger.

These are the reasons I bought a Ruger Redhawk instead of a 629 when I lived in AK. I went riding (then) 3-wheeler and got a S&W all [bleep] up from the dust and had to take it apart and clean it.

But for down here and now that I have a few more brain cells on how to care for my guns, 686 for the win.

Last edited by Akbob5; 04/03/22.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have one of the new 686+ seven shot models. It has the lock hole, although the lock parts are removed. Before it's purchase I had a Customs Service model 686.. I also have a very old, very worn and used GP100.. The older CS model had the best trigger of the three. The new lock model is smoothing up nicely with dry fire practice. Because of age and use, the Ruger has a very good trigger.

The S&W L Frame is slightly more svelte in the hand, for lack of a better word. The old Ruger has never been disassembled by me. Bought used decades ago, it's earned my trust, and respect, and seems impervious to time and use. I have other S&W revolvers. They always smooth up and get better with age. More so, I think than Ruger. Both can be home gunsmithed into better tune without much effort. Especially with YouTube assistance.

I think either one would give great service. I would not shy away from the lock model Smith's or worry a solitary millisecond about MIM parts or Ruger's reputation for heavy triggers.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The 686 will have a better out of the box fit and finish, and in all likelihood a better trigger pull.

The Ruger is more robust and simpler to tear down for deep cleaning, or modification. The triggers on both firearms, if new, will improve with use.

A Wolff spring kit in the Ruger takes 10 minutes to install, and greatly improves the pull. A couple hundred firings (or dry firings) smooths out the trigger/sear engagement and gives it the final polishing it should have had at the factory.

If possible, compare them side by side, and get the one you like best.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My GP100 has been flawless in operation. Probably 1000+ rounds through it without failure. Comfortable to shoot as well. I have no regrets. No issue with the trigger either.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a GP100 I picked up recently for $499 used but it's a 6". I really prefer a 4" for practicality. The gp100 is nice for $499 but when looking at a new 7 shot 4" at around $800 I realized I'm getting into the 686 price range. I think it's pretty much settled, I need a 4" 7 shot 686.

Thanks,
Bb

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Prior to the GP becoming available in .44 Special I would have never said this.

But I'll take a GP all day over a 686. They're truly capable of repeated abuse and their triggers can be slicked up with ease.

I only say this if you're looking to shoot a lot of .357. If not, I'd get a Smith and Wesson 19 and never look back.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Prior to the GP becoming available in .44 Special I would have never said this.

But I'll take a GP all day over a 686. They're truly capable of repeated abuse and their triggers can be slicked up with ease.

I only say this if you're looking to shoot a lot of .357. If not, I'd get a Smith and Wesson 19 and never look back.

Aren't the forcing cones on the new 19s beefier than the originals?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 66 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,605
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.