Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My worst experience with bullet "failure" was at least partially my fault. First safari I read and reread everything I could find on African game and hunting. One of the books was by Kevin Robertson where he talked about slowing the 300gr 375H&H down to 2400fps because he claimed it worked much better on buffalo. I loaded 300 Speer African Grand Slams to 2400fps.
Long story short, the bullets have a soft point so expand quickly and a solid core to drive them through but at 2400fps MV they expanded and stopped. Shooting a cape buffalo and having him run off several times does not inspire confidence in the bullet or the hunter. And yes we recovered all five bullets.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 04/04/22.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have had one "wreck" that for several years I thought was a bullet failure. Lined up on my first bull elk at close to 300 yards. The bull was heading downhill and I was looking strait toward his back. I put a 165 Hornady (not positive if it was a boat tail or soft point) right between his shoulder blades and the bull dropped and rolled. I had to go out of sight to get to him and when I got close to where he was supposed to be he was back on his feet. Hours later we caught up to him and my buddy finished the job.

The bullet was placed perfectly between the shoulder blades but failed to break the spine or do significant damage to the vitals.

It was years later that I got more interested in ballistics and learned more about velocity, expansion, design parameters, etc. That bullet was started really slow because my rifle shot best with book starting loads...which was never an issue on the truckloads of deer I killed under 200 yards. It hit that elk really close to the magic 1800 fps and it likely didn't open up much at all. It grazed enough of the spine to knock him out for a bit but not enough to keep him down.

My one "bullet failure" was simply operator error for delivering a bullet to the right place at the wrong speed.

All the rest seem to work fine when placed properly. In the last few years we have taken game with Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Barnes, Nosler, and Berger. Monos, Premium Bonded, and cup/cores. Some worked "better" then others but all did the job.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by GRF
Judman: I see that lure out there shining in the water……hell I’m gonna bite, at least once.

The worst bullets are the one used outside of their design parameters

I agree with that notion, although some game bullets do turn out to be "softer" than expected, while others might be the opposite. The early Ballistic Tips and SSTs (along with the current W-W Deer Season XP) are pretty dang quick and violent on expansion. If you know that going in, you can work with it. If you don't know, that's when you get some bad experiences.

I was thinking about this the other morning when I was driving to work. People complain (myself included) at times, when it comes to the cost of a controlled-expansion bullet, say it's a 150gr .308 bullet. But that bullet has to be able to work near and far at speeds from close-range 300 Magnum hits to 400yd 308Win hits. That's asking a lot. And it needs to work on a broadside 100lb whitetail doe in those scenarios, as well as an angling shot on a 300lb mule deer buck. Years ago, you just bought 150 cup/cores for your .308Win and 200gr cup/cores for your magnum, as the bullet company had (hopefully) made that simple and cheap bullet to be effective within its intended design parameters. That's why nobody was that surprised if you blew up a ton of meat with a 150gr cup/core from a 30yd shot from a 300Wby. You were obviously using a bullet that was meant and built to perform nicely in a 300 Savage or .308Win. As a hunter, you were expected to research this and know what's what.

Exactly right. I've been handloading 165gr Ballistic tips since the late 80's for .308 win. Dropped at least 20 White Tails and my son got 3 and none went more than 20 yards. Longest shot was 200 yards and closest about 5 yards. Shoot them in the heart/lungs and its a very effective loading. Never had a bullet come apart and all but one I can think of was a complete pass through. I suppose if I was shooting a 300wby I might choose a different bullet but at .308 win speeds it works great.

Last edited by coat4gun; 04/04/22. Reason: typo

Luke 22:36
εγώ δεν θα συμμορφωθεί
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by captjohn
The first 30 caliber 150 grain SST's that came out, explode on impact. problem is still have 100 plus loaded and laying around.

My exact answer. I had them explode on white tail does at 100 yards. I guess the new ones are better, but I am not going to use them again. Plain Interlocks for me now.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Never experienced bullet "failure" per say as every big game animal I've shot has died. I've also never used "marginal" cartridges nor have I taken a shot that I thought was "marginal". I have on occasion been less than impressed with a couple of bullets but again the animal died and was recovered. This sight abounds with what some label as "stunt shooters". If people have success with a 223 on deer, I say go for it. It seems to be working. Same goes with "match" bullets. I have no reason to call anyone out who is successful. I tend to "use enough gun" and tend to pay attention to articles (written by reputable authors who don't compromise integrity for free stuff, MD comes to mind) centered around new bullets. Middle of the road cartridges with middle of the road velocity pushing middle of the road bullets work.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The bullet I revile the most is the .277" 140 Hornady BTSP. I only shot two deer with them, and in both cases, the bullet shattered, blew up, whatever you want to call it, and didn't penetrate much, but blew huge chunks of meat everywhere. I eventually got both deer recovered, but it was not a pretty sight in either case. Those were the early ones with the cannelure WAY back on the bullet. Hornady changed the location of the cannelure later, but it didn't really help them much. I was shooting them out of a 22" .270 Winchester with H-4831 pushing them, nothing outrageous in any way. Those bullets were just dead soft and pretty much worthless. Both deer weren't very big, either, one little doe and a seven point buck of average size for a corn-fed Missouri deer.
I switched over to Remington Bronze Point 130gr. bullets and had wonderful results on the next few deer I shot with that rifle. Then Remington discontinued the Bronze Points as component bullets, which torqued me off considerably. After that, I went over to Sierra 130gr. Pro-Hunter flatbased bullets, which I continue to use today.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
The bullet I revile the most is the .277" 140 Hornady BTSP. I only shot two deer with them, and in both cases, the bullet shattered, blew up, whatever you want to call it, and didn't penetrate much, but blew huge chunks of meat everywhere. I eventually got both deer recovered, but it was not a pretty sight in either case. Those were the early ones with the cannelure WAY back on the bullet. Hornady changed the location of the cannelure later, but it didn't really help them much. I was shooting them out of a 22" .270 Winchester with H-4831 pushing them, nothing outrageous in any way. Those bullets were just dead soft and pretty much worthless. Both deer weren't very big, either, one little doe and a seven point buck of average size for a corn-fed Missouri deer.
I switched over to Remington Bronze Point 130gr. bullets and had wonderful results on the next few deer I shot with that rifle. Then Remington discontinued the Bronze Points as component bullets, which torqued me off considerably. After that, I went over to Sierra 130gr. Pro-Hunter flatbased bullets, which I continue to use today.

That’s weird. The 140gr Hornady Interlock BTSP has been a go-to for my 270. I’ve also used the .308 180gr version in my 30-06 with no issues. This has all been within the last 10 years. Not sure if they are apples to apples with what you’re using.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve never had any monumental failures with rifle bullets. I’ve seen a few 130 hornady .277’s, 165 hornady.308 BTSP, 150&165.308 BT’s spit their cores out but I found all those bullets in dead animals. The one bullet I will never use again is a power belt muzzle loader bullet. Shot a smallish doe with a.50 cal in the shoulder. When I cut her up the bullet never made it through her shoulder blade it was as flat as a quarter and about the same diameter. I think it was about 280 grains but can’t recall now. It killed her but I don’t know how. If it would have been a big buck I doubt I’d have ever found him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never could get the early Barnes bullets to shoot well in any of my rifles so I never shot game with them. Others have told me stories of how they are the hammer of Thor and others have cursed them for pencilling through a deer/elk and needed several shots to take an animal down...

However, in my experience the one bullet I've had the worst experience with has been the Hornady Interlock. They have just plain been unpredictable at best. Between me and my son we have shot at least five elk with them in my handloads . Some of them dropped fairly close to where they were shot, others wandered off like nothing happened and once we finally got them on the ground after several shots you could easily see where the bullet had hit a bone and just blew up with no penetration or just glanced off and headed another direction. They shoot to the same POI as my Partition handloads so we use the often for sighting in and practice shooting, but not for game any more. Those chores have been handed over to Partitions and Accubonds in my game rifle and I am quite pleased in their performance so far...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Which Interlocks were those?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Which Interlocks were those?

I have had problems with the 180 grain 308 and the 225 grain 338 Interlocks. Can't give you the part numbers any more as I've shot them up and don't have any boxes laying around any more...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My Interlock experience is with other part numbers. It has been uniformly good for deer and pigs.

Last edited by mathman; 04/04/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Pronghorn and up, what’s the worst performing bullet you’ve used? For me it’s gotta be any of the Barnes mono bullets.

My god you have the fishing fever. I love it.

Barnes and Bergers haven’t been overly impressive to me. The Barnes if no bone is hit and the Berger if bone is it.

Go!

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
My Interlock experience is with other part numbers. It has been uniformly good for deer and pigs.

To include bulls and bears too math. I’m a Hornady fan. 🍺

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Shoot a lot of interlocks antelope and deer. The flatbase Spire Points allways seem to hold together better than the BTSP versions for me....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
all bullets work if they are used at the velocities/ranges they were designed for and you do your part and hit the vitals
there is an article on here in the reloading section that talks about bullet design i think a lot of people on this sight need to read it

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For probably 10 or more years all I’ve loaded for a buddies .270 is the Hornady 140 g btsp with nothing but dead beasts. No drama.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by coat4gun
Originally Posted by JPro
[quote=GRF]Judman: I see that lure out there shining in the water……hell I’m gonna bite, at least once.

The worst bullets are the one used outside of their design parameters

I agree with that notion, although some game bullets do turn out to be "softer" than expected, while others might be the opposite. The early Ballistic Tips and SSTs (along with the current W-W Deer Season XP) are pretty dang quick and violent on expansion. If you know that going in, you can work with it. If you don't know, that's when you get some bad experiences.

I was thinking about this the other morning when I was driving to work. People complain (myself included) at times, when it comes to the cost of a controlled-expansion bullet, say it's a 150gr .308 bullet. But that bullet has to be able to work near and far at speeds from close-range 300 Magnum hits to 400yd 308Win hits. That's asking a lot. And it needs to work on a broadside 100lb whitetail doe in those scenarios, as well as an angling shot on a 300lb mule deer

buck. Years ago, you just bought 150 cup/cores for your .308Win and 200gr cup/cores for your magnum, as the bullet company had (hopefully) made that simple and cheap bullet to be effective within its intended design parameters. That's why nobody was that surprised if you blew up a ton of meat with a 150gr cup/core from a 30yd shot from a 300Wby. You were obviously using a bullet that was meant and built to perform nicely in a 300 Savage or .308Win. As a hunter, you were expected to research this and know what's what.

Exactly right. I've been handloading 165gr Ballistic tips since the late 80's for .308 win. Dropped at least 20 White Tails and my son got 3 and none went more than 20 yards. Longest shot was 200 yards and closest about 5 yards. Shoot them in the heart/lungs and its a very effective loading. Never had a bullet come apart and all but one I can think of was a complete pass through. I suppose if I was shooting a 300wby I might choose a different bullet but at .308 win speeds it works great.

federal terminal accent close far fast slow doesn't matter they do EXACTLY what federal says they do
weight retention and penetration they are the best of both worlds

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What's likely the most interesting part is what bullets aren't mentioned here.

Accubonds and anything from Swift I don't think. I have some AB's for my 7-08, haven't tried them yet.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman

To include bulls and bears too math. I’m a Hornady fan. 🍺

I was too for a long time- until I wasn't. They shot well, extremely accurate, and were relatively inexpensive- but once the failures started happening they just kept happening. It wasn't a tough decision to change given all the great bullets available now...

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,239
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.