Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, to further confuse matters...

7mm = .275" (we call that the 270 Win)
7.82mm = 308"
6.5mm = .257"
6.7mm = .264"

I suppose it all comes down to whether we are measuring lands or grooves, if I'm not mistake, it's the English that measure by the lands, hence the .275 designation!

Last edited by 257Bob; 04/04/22.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"The Chowgarh Tigers" from Corbett's Man-Eaters of Kumaon

" The right side of the tiger was towards me and, taking careful aim with the .275 I had armed myself with when leaving camp that morning, I fired. Relinquishing its hold on the buffalo, the tiger, without making a sound, turned and bounded off up the ravine and out of sight"

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Oh how things have changed when the 6.5-08 A-Square does not even get mentioned in this conversation. ;-{>8

Hey, now...that one sounds like a dandy.

Someone oughta jump on that and take it mainstream.

sleep

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[quote=ingwe]I dunno..mine says .275 Rigby on it, and the brass is head stamped likewise.That said I think the OP is right, original designation was always simply ".275"

To sound cool we shooters in America do that kind of thing a lot.Witness the .45 Long Colt.....there is no such thing.

My .275 for effect...

Tom,

One of the things I did during this discussion was get out my reproduction copy of the 1924 Magazine Sporting Rifles catalog of John Rigby & Co. Inside the cover, they list the five rifles available:

.275 bore
.275 bore H.V. [high velocity]
.275 bore Light Model
.350 bore Magnum
.416 bore Big Game

The catalog does not call any of those cartridges Rigby, but JOHN RIGBY& CO. is the top line on the cover, and printed in the largest, boldest letters. This might suggest to some people that the listed cartridges are, uh, Rigby cartridges.

Uh, it might suggest you were looking at a Rigby rifle catalogue, is all that would do. That's how they state all the rifle chamberings, as you have now discovered.

Do you think that J. Rigby&Sons didn't know that other sporting manufacturers make .275 cartridges? Even their own brand of ammo marked for their High Velocity .275 rifles was George Roth ammo repackaged.

If you can't find the "".275 Rigby"" cartridge or chambering mentioned prior to 1968 by Rigby themselves on their rifles, on their ammo, in their catalogue (or anyone elses), print advertising, in their own sales ledgers, or in the hunting literature - anywhere - or even preserved in hunting parlance in the countries it was used in, then uh, it's not a Rigby cartridge.

Enough, you all suck and I'm going hunting.

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 04/04/22.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Some people are just Too OCD.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Give it up. There has never been any, or at least very little, reality to cartridge nomenclature. My favorite is the 38 special. How the hell did that happen?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
CarlsenHighway,

I tend to find more important subjects to get worked up over, but still want to thank you--as you've provided another subject for what I hope will be a reasonably interesting historical article.

For the moment, I'm wondering why you didn't object at the same time about why the .416 Rigby is called "Rigby"--when Rigby's catalogs only called it the .416" Bore.

You might also object to the .30-30 Winchester, since Winchester called it the .30 Winchester Center Fire. Marlin came up with the .30-30 designation, apparently because they didn't want to stamp "Winchester" on any of their rifles. Of course, this was before the U.S. government urged the formation of the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Association in the late 1920s, so various companies would get together to make sure ammo and firearms from various companies would be safely compatible.

Mule Deer, You're welcome. grin
You have belittled my outrage, tried to dull my blade with your .416 Rigby reference, and then throw sand in my eyes over the .44-40 and .30-30 etc. (All of which I now rebut thusly: People did refer to the .416 Rigby as the "".416 Rigby"", and Rigby did mark their rifles with the possessive "Rigby's .416 Bore." Plus all the ammo made for it was marked by Kynoch (and others) as .416 Rigby. That's my point entirely - .416 Rigby is the actual name of that cartridge. And likewise regarding the WCF cartridges - both names are valid historically.)

But I get worked up over people calling the Lee-Enfield rifle an ""Enfield". Oh Goddamit. I think that's worse.

I feel a Theodore Roosevelt quote is in order here - "Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining".

Since you have such a strong opinion about the 275 Rigby name (amongst other things), what do you propose to call it?!

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
CarlsenHighway,

No, I did not "just discover" that. Have a library of books and magazines going back to the early 1800s on various sporting firearms subjects, on not only American and British hunting rifles, but those from several other countries as well.

Just wanted to provide some actual subject matter. Oh, and have also published an article/review on the most recent Rigby rifles in. 275 (which also have actions made in Germany, which was very well made and accurate.

I am betting my OCD beats your OCD, but apparently not on cartridge nomenclature. Whatever.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
OK, now it is driving ME nuts. Which company in the last year or two made a single shot in .275 Rigby? It has a female name I believe they called it. This thread has made me want to go buy one....

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Seems to me that Craig Boddington explained the 275 Rigby somewhere along these lines. Rigby sourced actions from Mauser and the 7X57 Mauser was already in their line up of calibers. Trying to be politically correct for the day and not wanting to use the name Mauser for fear of offending anyone after WWII Rigby went with 275 VS 7X57. 257 Bob is correct in it's the way the bore is measured using the lands vs the groves.
I have a pre 64 M70 carbine that is stamped 7MM. Not 7MM Mauser or anything else just 7MM. I have a custom rifle in 7X57 Ackley Improved that's just stamped 7X57 and another I had stamped 275 Rigby. Personally I like the Rigby designation as it's different.
After all this I find my 38/55 should be 38-55 W. C. F. Oh the horror of it all LOL

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by cotis
OK, now it is driving ME nuts. Which company in the last year or two made a single shot in .275 Rigby? It has a female name I believe they called it. This thread has made me want to go buy one....

Lipsey/Ruger #1 .

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Even Craig Boddington is calling the .275 the "".275 Rigby.""

And now the new Rigby company is (delightedly I am sure) actually marking rifles with .275 Rigby, and making headstamped ammo!

.275 Rigby is an imaginary cartridge name that seems to have come around since the internet, mostly by American writers, who I can only assume have confused the .275 Rigby- Mauser rifles sold by Rigby as the first bit of that name being the chambering and the second bit being the rifle. It's incorrect. It's the .275 - while the rifles J Rigby&Co sold were "Rigby-Mausers".

It was never called a .275 Rigby. In the old catalogues, it was just a .275 bore. That's just what they called the 7x57 in England and the colonies. Same as a .303 was a .303.

Their has never been an original Rigby rifle stamped "".275 Rigby"" or a rifle by any other makers like Westley Richards, Holland and Holland or anyone else stamped "".275 Rigby"" and their has never been any ammunition British or German called ".275 Rigby" or any cartridges ever headstamped "".275 Rigby.""

Rigby sold rifles chambered in .275 (and their own ammunition marked for the bore size.) The .275 ammo sold by Rigby was just their own brand of high velocity loading - they never called it by their own name, the ammo boxes were marked .275 bore, Rigby High Velocity cartridges.

I first noticed it sometime around twenty years ago. Somehow this has turned into some kind of internet truth that .275 Rigby is a cartridge name. People make custom 7x57's (or .275's) and have them stamped .275 Rigby. But it's nothing to do with Rigby.

The new Rigby company, is no doubt delighted that American gun writers have mistaken this cartridge for having something to do with them, haven't said a word, even though they have all the old ledgers which show the rifles all marked as ".275 or .275 HV"" (But from photos I've seen of the people at that company, the new Rigby company people they all seem to be hipsters under the age of thirty, so possibly they just don't know any better either.) And surely Craig Boddington doesn't do all his research on the internet.

Can we stop this now. It's just...annoying.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/VM9bLz4/275.webp[/img]

My dear boy, your really need to learn to understand the value of experience and shared knowledge with learned people who know more that you obviously do.
People who know, don't feel any need to justify or explain to anyone.
People with experience don't care for incidentals such as "nomenclature" which is notoriously valueless, regional, questionable and meritless, particularly when directed at tools. eg: define "hammer," when anything held can pound?

I have owned rifles chambered for the 7x57, 7mm Mauser and .275 Rigby, including one manufactured by the aforementioned, John Rigby and Son. I used the same dies to load for all and the same cases plus a few extra which are still being loaded and used for same. My fetish, is not nomenclature, but rather performance in the field, because I like to hunt with rifles. There are many on here that have shot animals I have not, but I can make the same claim and the numbers are way into the 3 digits since I scratched the itch in 1981.

The point is, everyone has an experience with some cartridge and most latched onto whatever worked for them. It doesn't make ones choices better than an other's, but what is of no value is the senseless critique, of meaninglessness to the converted.

Your opinion is your right and letting of steam is quite ok too, but it is valueless in a ballistic world aimed at competence for which the multi-named and universally understood 7mm holds mortgage over.

It meets every desirable attribute in the hunting world..........
Acceptable recoil
Acceptable Accuracy.
Works with all 7mm bullet weights.
Adequate for the majority of all animals hunted.
Mostly, It doesn't care what you think and neither do most other readers by the look if this thread..

Consider your opinion noted. Move along, nothing of value to see here.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H

Courtney Stalking Rifle?

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Almost all the gun shops around here have rifles with tags that say 7mm, as the only caliber designation. I get a funny look when I ask which 7mm it is. They pull down the rifle, look at the barrel, and 90% of the time it is Remington Magnum.

Bruce

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Craigster

Lipsey/Ruger #1 .

No, not it. Below - the Courtney stalking rifle!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Hook

Courtney Stalking Rifle?

YEP! That's the one. thank you, I can sleep tonight without obsessing over this. But looking now I see it chambered in .303 British and 45-70. Did I dream that it was done in .275?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Lipsey/Ruger #1 .

Not in .275.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Even Craig Boddington is calling the .275 the "".275 Rigby.""

And now the new Rigby company is (delightedly I am sure) actually marking rifles with .275 Rigby, and making headstamped ammo!

.275 Rigby is an imaginary cartridge name that seems to have come around since the internet, mostly by American writers, who I can only assume have confused the .275 Rigby- Mauser rifles sold by Rigby as the first bit of that name being the chambering and the second bit being the rifle. It's incorrect. It's the .275 - while the rifles J Rigby&Co sold were "Rigby-Mausers".

It was never called a .275 Rigby. In the old catalogues, it was just a .275 bore. That's just what they called the 7x57 in England and the colonies. Same as a .303 was a .303.

Their has never been an original Rigby rifle stamped "".275 Rigby"" or a rifle by any other makers like Westley Richards, Holland and Holland or anyone else stamped "".275 Rigby"" and their has never been any ammunition British or German called ".275 Rigby" or any cartridges ever headstamped "".275 Rigby.""

Rigby sold rifles chambered in .275 (and their own ammunition marked for the bore size.) The .275 ammo sold by Rigby was just their own brand of high velocity loading - they never called it by their own name, the ammo boxes were marked .275 bore, Rigby High Velocity cartridges.

I first noticed it sometime around twenty years ago. Somehow this has turned into some kind of internet truth that .275 Rigby is a cartridge name. People make custom 7x57's (or .275's) and have them stamped .275 Rigby. But it's nothing to do with Rigby.

The new Rigby company, is no doubt delighted that American gun writers have mistaken this cartridge for having something to do with them, haven't said a word, even though they have all the old ledgers which show the rifles all marked as ".275 or .275 HV"" (But from photos I've seen of the people at that company, the new Rigby company people they all seem to be hipsters under the age of thirty, so possibly they just don't know any better either.) And surely Craig Boddington doesn't do all his research on the internet.

Can we stop this now. It's just...annoying.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/VM9bLz4/275.webp[/img]

My dear boy, your really need to learn to understand the value of experience and shared knowledge with learned people who know more that you obviously do.
People who know, don't feel any need to justify or explain to anyone.
People with experience don't care for incidentals such as "nomenclature" which is notoriously valueless, regional, questionable and meritless, particularly when directed at tools. eg: define "hammer," when anything held can pound?

I have owned rifles chambered for the 7x57, 7mm Mauser and .275 Rigby, including one manufactured by the aforementioned, John Rigby and Son. I used the same dies to load for all and the same cases plus a few extra which are still being loaded and used for same. My fetish, is not nomenclature, but rather performance in the field, because I like to hunt with rifles. There are many on here that have shot animals I have not, but I can make the same claim and the numbers are way into the 3 digits since I scratched the itch in 1981.

The point is, everyone has an experience with some cartridge and most latched onto whatever worked for them. It doesn't make ones choices better than an other's, but what is of no value is the senseless critique, of meaninglessness to the converted.

Your opinion is your right and letting of steam is quite ok too, but it is valueless in a ballistic world aimed at competence for which the multi-named and universally understood 7mm holds mortgage over.

It meets every desirable attribute in the hunting world..........
Acceptable recoil
Acceptable Accuracy.
Works with all 7mm bullet weights.
Adequate for the majority of all animals hunted.
Mostly, It doesn't care what you think and neither do most other readers by the look if this thread..

Consider your opinion noted. Move along, nothing of value to see here.

My dear Australian, that was a long condescending statement.

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 04/04/22.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Lipsey/Ruger #1 .

Not in .275.

If they did I’d buy one.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
CarlsenHighway,

No, I did not "just discover" that. Have a library of books and magazines going back to the early 1800s on various sporting firearms subjects, on not only American and British hunting rifles, but those from several other countries as well.

Just wanted to provide some actual subject matter. Oh, and have also published an article/review on the most recent Rigby rifles in. 275 (which also have actions made in Germany, which was very well made and accurate.

I am betting my OCD beats your OCD, but apparently not on cartridge nomenclature. Whatever.

It was the mocking ""uh" that got to me. I should have known better than to post at all. I knew it was going to go like this.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,233 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,243
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.