Print Thread
Hop To
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not a BSA test but like others the only lotto I've lost they replaced a 22lr that couldn't keep an extractor in. Hmm. I know an FN pistol doing that same thing and FN has not replied to the owner in over a week..

Anyway a buddy wanted a cheap 223 upper for pigs for an ATV gun. Bingo. Why not BCA. Upper was 200 plus, 8 twist, Wylde. Side charge. Floated. Thats about all that counts.

He is going to shoot 40 vmax due to where they are located. Just like we do in a PSA upper.

Scope took some fair adjustment who knows why. But it centered.

Once within a few inches I started shooting pairs of shots to conserve ammo to get it zero'd. 1 inch high at 100, and it took 4 pairs to make me happy. Funny thing each pair the bullets were basically width of my pinky nail apart. pinky nail is just over 3/8 wide.

Vortex scope did not correct to the numbers so I had to zero it the way I normally do, move the crosshairs to the impact. That took a few pairs as noted but its sitting solid so far and the last group I fired was an inch high, 3 shots to verify, and was a rough 3/4 inch center to center.

Another lotto won

At this rate I gotta keep testing waters to see a the next failure and how bad it will be and how they will handle it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Not a BSA test but like others the only lotto I've lost they replaced a 22lr that couldn't keep an extractor in. Hmm. I know an FN pistol doing that same thing and FN has not replied to the owner in over a week..

Anyway a buddy wanted a cheap 223 upper for pigs for an ATV gun. Bingo. Why not BCA. Upper was 200 plus, 8 twist, Wylde. Side charge. Floated. Thats about all that counts.

He is going to shoot 40 vmax due to where they are located. Just like we do in a PSA upper.

Scope took some fair adjustment who knows why. But it centered.

Once within a few inches I started shooting pairs of shots to conserve ammo to get it zero'd. 1 inch high at 100, and it took 4 pairs to make me happy. Funny thing each pair the bullets were basically width of my pinky nail apart. pinky nail is just over 3/8 wide.

Vortex scope did not correct to the numbers so I had to zero it the way I normally do, move the crosshairs to the impact. That took a few pairs as noted but its sitting solid so far and the last group I fired was an inch high, 3 shots to verify, and was a rough 3/4 inch center to center.

Another lotto won

At this rate I gotta keep testing waters to see a the next failure and how bad it will be and how they will handle it.

Sounds like a good report. And since you said you are more concerned about first round hits and 3 shot groups, I had to rethink what it means when guys say, "1moa or sub 1/2 moa". I've been shooting a lot more longrange lately where I use 3 shots for triangulation and checking poi. Works great in the wind. Plus it saves ammo. Then I can say most of my rifles are 1/4 moa. Its all good. At the last shoot I went to, there were 7 of us, out of 20, that made a first round cold clean bore hit on a very small yote quartering away at 800 yards. Good enough for me. Your track record with BCA is good. Would I buy one?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I should make it clear that BCA would not be my choice for a lot of things likely.

They were taken to task for illegal employees and that was proven to not be an on purpose thing and not their fault so to speak. Fake ID and bad vetting through an agency. Kind of ticks me off when folks are taken to task for stuff like that. I searched that and found how wrong the accusal was and that made me more curious. If we lie about employees and owners being commies and so on, is what they make all junk? As I've said I even had a couple decent model one sales guns in the 80s and we all know they were mostly junk parts. I then fell down the rabbit hole of competition shortly after and realized for our uses we needed to know what 10 to 22 or more rounds in a row would do. That was in the 80s but it was applicable use wise only to our competition.

My point has been all along most people, except you LOL, don't demand what you demand or want. For what they need and want there is no need for Krieger tubes and high dollar parts. Truth be told most would be just fine with 4 inches out to 200 yards and most don't have business shooting 200 yards to be honest. Talking average folks here.

Would kind of be like pissing on the old Rem 788 for being under 80 bucks for a deer rifle in the 70/80s. Cheap. Built well enough. Accurate. Killed many deer for us too. Haven't used ours in years but they are still there...

I doubt I could hit that note at 800 first bore with a BCA. Well actually I'm stubborn enough to play with one and prove a point but you know what I mean.

Time and place for all things.

Of course I never said BCA was .25 moa. Could really give a flip less too. Really if you shoot enough shots your group becomes bigger. Why test 10 rounds when competition is usually 22 rounds for highpower?

Really the test thats made the most sense to me for years of a super rifle is a given target shot once a day for a month or a week etc... just to see what it does cold bore day to day and what you can do. It was what we did with our bows close to season to see if they were ready sighted and we were ready. And we shot them out of a tripod. Crawl up and shoot one a morning and see. Yes we shot more arrows in the evenings to stay in tune muscle wise. But the first round ones, with hunting glasses and clothes on showed issues and allowed us to correct but I digress here big time and my apologies.

But we all get our hots from different things.

I suspect that most that read here appreciate honest reports. So just tell me how many shots, distance ( I think I failed to say that it was 110 yards ) and group size in inches close enough... don't care about decimals. 5/8 or 1 and 1/2 inches is plenty close for me. In fact I can't recall measuring one with calipers in quite some time.
Anyway that way folks can read and decide if its good enough.

I do get the striving for knots though. I'm well past that. Just has to be good enough for the job at hand. I'm also past shooting the biggest round I can. We tend to use the smallest we can at times. Age and recoil are not mixing well. In fact I just dont' care for having to shoot and use my 458 win mag much anymore. And do so with a bit less than 500s anymore. But it goes with my job so it is what it is.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Jeff,
With you luck you should by a Powerball ticket.

Thanks for the data points.

At least we know these BCA's are in the hands of someone who can shoot.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTDT, luck doesn't transfer to Powerball or even Lotto so far. LOL.

I can't shoot nearly as well as I used to, but I can still call the bad shots. LOL.

Sooner or later I"ll hit a BCA that won't do it. I'm sure of it. Have not yet.

Like ER Shaw though maybe, that used to be corncob rifled, they have changed to pretty dang good barrels, maybe BCA has tweaked their stuff and getting better by the day.

But like I said before if they make 2 moa guns at 100 yards it satisifies a majority of AR owners I suspect. Reliabitly IE function reliably would be more important to most.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (808outdoors, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, ar33c9, 10Glocks, 10 invisible), 1,260 guests, and 805 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,692
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.