Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roverboy
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Valsdad

And I do believe anyone of a mind to could build their own rifle, out of parts they got from wherever or made themselves.

Sheesh.

Easy to make a shotgun from hardware store parts. Not expensive, either.

There was a guy in England that made some full autos out of hardware store parts. His name escapes me right now. Wrote a book about it.

Lutey. Wrote a book explaining it all.

roverboy;
Good evening to you sir, thanks for twigging my memory on that chap.

Here's a couple videos on his projects.

One running.

All the best and thanks again.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Heck, I have a cannon.

It’s a 1 bore (1.75”) parrot on a fortress carriage.

Shoots golf balls just fine (don’t do this in the woods with lots of trees- trust me, had to duck a bouncing golf ball for quite a while). It’ll shoot a 1lb Halibut weight through a 55 gallon drum with the drum not even moving. Takes about 700gr of Fg black powder per shot. I love shooting it, but only get <10 shots per lb of power. Have to save the shots for special occasions since Fg powder has become hard to come by.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Stophel
The average idiot in America doesn't know any better either. Just start talking about cannons and other scary guns, and they'll eat that fear up.

Modern man seems to love being afraid. Terrified of everything. Eager to be "protected". Eager to be led. Eager to be taken care of.

He who sacrifices Liberty for security deserves neither Liberty, nor security. Frankly, I don't think they even deserve life.

And by the way, as long as the political "right" keeps on trying to stop gun control by talking about how it won't stop crime, or how we need to enforce the laws we already have (no, we don't), we will continue to lose... hell, we've already lost. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is not dependent on crime statistics. It doesn't matter one whit if it affects the crime rate or not. Statistics on crime or using a gun to defend yourself or whatever is totally irrelevant. It's a RIGHT. It's about FIGHTING TYRANNICAL GOVERNMENT. Period. THIS is the issue. THIS is the reason.... but people are afraid to say that... it's so extreme! It's so anti-government! It's conspiracy theory wackiness! If your only argument against gun control is "crime", then you've already lost. You've given up and surrendered the field. You're letting your enemy dictate everything, even the words you say. I think this applies in virtually every aspect of life today. We have let the enemy take COMPLETE control over the way we speak and the way we think.

Boy that was quick government schill

Stophel Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Whatever you say, bubba.

And it's "shill".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Dwayne,

I have a sneaky suspicion there are a number of folks down here who no longer remember where the cannons are.

We're old now, a failing to remember is to be expected.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Stophel
Whatever you say, bubba.

And it's "shill".

Thanks for the grammar correction [bleep]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Geno;
Thanks for the reply sir and indeed you're correct on the getting on in life.

Most days I tell folks I meet that I carry photo ID so I remember who I am today.

In the early '80's I worked for a Metis cabinet maker who was really into the buck skinner scene and along with some fine custom build muzzle loaders and of course the appropriate pouch and horn, he'd go to the meets and come back with some fantastic stories.

One year during either the Saskatchewan or Alberta rendezvous they built quite a stockade out of trees, just like the old days I suppose.

"Someone" brought a home built cannon which was bored such that a soup can diameter projectile fired out of it. I want to say they'd built a mold that would make the projectile, but he described it as that diameter and length - again soup can - but solid lead.

On the Saturday night which was the last night of the shoot, after much imbibing and celebrating, the cannon was rolled out and they proceeded to shoot the wooden stockade into toothpicks.

He laughed about that for days afterward and I must admit when he was laughing he was a lot easier to be around, so I was glad he did.

Anyways, that's one that I have no clue where it went, but as you mentioned, I'm sure that there's a few running around out there in the wild since a good lathe and some decent shafting material were all that was required to make one right?

All the best again my friend.

Dwayne

Stophel Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

“Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American.”
— Tench Coxe, 1788

EVERY terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by luvrifles
You can still buy a cannon. 12lb bronze napoleon is pricey, but if you are into it....

Of course. Biden is a retard.

He's not even that smart.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And then there was the Ferguson(sp?) Rifle in the Rev. War. British Major Ferguson invented it, and it had superior accuracy and a practiced rifleman could get off about 6 aimed shots per minute, per the one or two with "regular" arms. The major died at King's Mt. battle.

Good thing for us the British had idiots for Generals, and it was refused for widespread procurement. IIRC, even Ferguson's troops that were armed with it were made to turn them in and use "military standard" long-arms.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kingston
Tune out the noise. This whole campaign is nonsense. Further, there's never been more broad public support for guns and high capacity magazines.

Especially since the riots.

The need was clearly and widely illustrated.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe someone from the media needs to axe Psucky how the citizens of Cincinnati, Ohio were able to take up a collection, purchase 2 cannon and have them sent to Texas. They were named the " Twin Sisters" and were used at the Battle of San Jacinto by Sam Houston. Just a mere 40 years or so after the date Biden's lying about it to be illegal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
And a Pennsylvania long rifle was the Barret sniper rifle back then.
Hitting a man at 300yds was a huge thing with a long rifle and common.

300 was sort of a given, 400 was a hit or miss proposition (as stated in Bosworth’s 1840 “A Treatise on the Rifle”, still in print, available on the ‘net).

Per that same source, the longest recorded hits with round ball flintlock rifles were at the hands of the Seminoles, 1835, Battle of Withlacoochie, where General Edmund P. Gaines reported to the War Department that Seminole riflemen were hitting his men at “between four and five hundred yards”. Gen. Gains himself was hit in the mouth at extreme range and lost a tooth or two.

Gains had previously surveyed much of the Southeast for the government and presumably knew his distances. He’s worth a Google search, one of our forgotten heroes of US history.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Heck, I have a cannon.

It’s a 1 bore (1.75”) parrot on a fortress carriage.

Shoots golf balls just fine (don’t do this in the woods with lots of trees- trust me, had to duck a bouncing golf ball for quite a while). It’ll shoot a 1lb Halibut weight through a 55 gallon drum with the drum not even moving. Takes about 700gr of Fg black powder per shot. I love shooting it, but only get <10 shots per lb of power. Have to save the shots for special occasions since Fg powder has become hard to come by.

My brother in law built a golf ball cannon.
It's not accurate enough, but I always wanted to shoot a deer with it.
I'm pretty sure it would be "enough gun" even with plastic bullets.

He also built a bowling ball mortar.
That, is really cool.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by Valsdad

And I do believe anyone of a mind to could build their own rifle, out of parts they got from wherever or made themselves.

Sheesh.

Easy to make a shotgun from hardware store parts. Not expensive, either.

There was a guy in England that made some full autos out of hardware store parts. His name escapes me right now. Wrote a book about it.

Machine guns are simply made by someone knowing how they work. They can't regulate knowledge. Stens were made in basement shops in Israeli in the early fifties

I wonder how many decent people are on some government list just because they did an online search about how to make some sort of firearm? At this point I'm sure biden and company view all of us as criminals.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Every single American is on a government list! Regardless!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kaywoodie;
Top of the morning to you my cyber friend, I hope the day's looking to be a good one in your part of Texas.

Once back in the day when we were discussing the uncertain vagaries of life, one of our girls asked me if I was concerned about ending up on a government watch list?

I replied that since I'd owned what are classed as "Restricted" firearms up here - so registered - when I turned 18, then was a card carrying member for at least one firearms rights advocacy group for most of my life, was certified for years to teach the course required up here to obtain a firearm and had a current firearm license all that time I was pretty sure I was at the top of so many lists I qualified for a gold star too, you know?

The thing is, first off I'm not alone in that, so I'm in great company despite what the legacy media indicates about "average Canadians" not owning firearms.

The other factor which is even more germane in my view is that part of my foundational beliefs include the concept that man - any man or group thereof - are not really in control despite what they might think. Again not trying to convert you or anyone my friend, just attempting to articulate where I'm at and all that.

On another tangent, I think that if he was still alive that you and my old cabinet making boss would have spent a lot of hours together discussing some of the historical guns and gear from different regions of North America. He was as mentioned Metis and was steeped in their culture. He could go on for hours describing the differences in powder horns or bags from different groups or time periods. Was super educational and neat to see someone with such a passion for their history.

All the best and God bless my friend.

Dwayne

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Greetings Dwayne. Hope you and family are well.

Im just one who puts little faith in what list(s) I’m on. I figure the bureaucrats will all fight over just which of their entities will have to deal with me anyway! 🤣

Have a great day!

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
As has often been said a Brown Bess musket was the military grade assault weapon of its day.

I much prefer the French pattern musket! 👍😉

Me too, superior in every way. I blame Napoleon fer mine by scaring the Brits into building millions of extra Besses, so many that twenty years later they were so cheap on the Milsurp market that even the Mexicans could afford ‘em.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kingston
Tune out the noise. This whole campaign is nonsense. Further, there's never been more broad public support for guns and high capacity magazines.that is true ,but has never stopped democrats from pushing there gun control agenda on US citizens

NRA Life Member
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 8 invisible), 917 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,919
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.