Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Buckshot77
I think it's a myth that longer barrels pattern better. I have a 21" barreled 870 that patterns great.

I looked until I found the 24" SBE. The Benelli has a really long receiver. Between that and the extended tube, it's about as long an the 28" barreled guns it sits beside.

Probably the tightest patterning gun I've ever shot is a funky, off brand 18" barreled bullpup 12 gauge a buddy traded for a few months back. He wanted to shoot it and I has some 3" 00 laying around that my son had graduated from. With the full choke, it put the entire 12 pellet load into 7-8" @ 40 yards. Blew my mind really.

Don't hold your breath waiting on a message. I plan to be buried with it. It just points where I look.

Yeah, that's a gem when you find that one gun. Mine's an SX3 with a 28" barrel and luckily it has been that way for me. I spent alot of time on the target boards patterning both buckshot and turkey loads and got lucky that it prints centermass to where I am aiming.

Those SBE's are and always have been the best of the bunch as far as shotguns go. Unlike rifles, I have a SX3 and got a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge a few years ago for turkeys. I just keep the SX3 ready for deer and use the Franchi for birds now.

I was hoping with the TSS shot coming around I'd see it getting made into buckshot sorta sizes, but I have seen it out there. I'd think that stuff would be amazing since you could increase pattern density and keep the weight up.
I hear of folks using T shot size TSS for buckshot and killing deer at unbelievable ranges. I first started loading buckshot to save money. The Remington load I was shooting was running me around $2.25 a shell. Casting my own, I'm down to less than 50 cents a shell, with as good or better performance. I also like the idea of being as self sufficient as possible. TSS doesn't really fit into either plan.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think what you're doing makes a pile of sense. I'd just like to see how it works myself. I bet they'd be hell on coyotes though.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TSS #2 - #4 shot kills coyotes deader than disco.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MOGC
TSS #2 - #4 shot kills coyotes deader than disco.

I bet. Are you loading your own MOGC? I'd kinda like to monkey with it.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am not loading mine. I have a very switched on friend that has developed some loads. They work, hit a coyote with a swarm of that stuff and it turns them into a sack of broken bones.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MOGC
I am not loading mine. I have a very switched on friend that has developed some loads. They work, hit a coyote with a swarm of that stuff and it turns them into a sack of broken bones.

Man, I want some!

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I think it's a myth that longer barrels pattern better. I have a 21" barreled 870 that patterns great.

I looked until I found the 24" SBE. The Benelli has a really long receiver. Between that and the extended tube, it's about as long an the 28" barreled guns it sits beside.

Probably the tightest patterning gun I've ever shot is a funky, off brand 18" barreled bullpup 12 gauge a buddy traded for a few months back. He wanted to shoot it and I has some 3" 00 laying around that my son had graduated from. With the full choke, it put the entire 12 pellet load into 7-8" @ 40 yards. Blew my mind really.

Don't hold your breath waiting on a message. I plan to be buried with it. It just points where I look.

Yeah, that's a gem when you find that one gun. Mine's an SX3 with a 28" barrel and luckily it has been that way for me. I spent alot of time on the target boards patterning both buckshot and turkey loads and got lucky that it prints centermass to where I am aiming.

Those SBE's are and always have been the best of the bunch as far as shotguns go. Unlike rifles, I have a SX3 and got a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge a few years ago for turkeys. I just keep the SX3 ready for deer and use the Franchi for birds now.

I was hoping with the TSS shot coming around I'd see it getting made into buckshot sorta sizes, but I have seen it out there. I'd think that stuff would be amazing since you could increase pattern density and keep the weight up.
I hear of folks using T shot size TSS for buckshot and killing deer at unbelievable ranges. I first started loading buckshot to save money. The Remington load I was shooting was running me around $2.25 a shell. Casting my own, I'm down to less than 50 cents a shell, with as good or better performance. I also like the idea of being as self sufficient as possible. TSS doesn't really fit into either plan.
are you putting any buffer in with your hand loaded buckshot? Or using any copper plated buckshot I assume not on the copper plated mean as your casting your own but does the buffer make a difference with just lead buckshot much

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ldholton

are you putting any buffer in with your hand loaded buckshot? Or using any copper plated buckshot I assume not on the copper plated mean as your casting your own but does the buffer make a difference with just lead buckshot much

I am buffering them with BPI buffer. I cast the pellets and they are not copper plated. I do powder coat them, but I'm not sure it makes a difference in the pattern or not. I do feel the powder coat aids in penetration as they are pretty slick and hard to hold on to. I got good patterns when I used Hornady pellets, but I saved an extra 90 cents a shell when I started casting my own. I also think the harder pellets penetrate and pattern better. Casting them is a lot of work, but I've always had more time than money.

Wade Rush has a YouTube episode about Buffered vs non Buffered loads, and in his test image a big difference.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d imagine those ultra smooth powder coated bullets don’t hurt the patterning.

Kinda fun to yak about the shotguns some. I shoot a lot of rifles but dang if running dogs and coyotes isn’t a blast.

I’ve never loaded shotgun shells either, need more of that time!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’d imagine those ultra smooth powder coated bullets don’t hurt the patterning.

Kinda fun to yak about the shotguns some. I shoot a lot of rifles but dang if running dogs and coyotes isn’t a blast.

I’ve never loaded shotgun shells either, need more of that time!

I get more excitement out of killing a spike in front of the dogs than a big buck out of a stand. I kill as many or more deer still hunting, but just love watching the dogs work and hearing a good race.

You ought to try loading shells. I have MEC machines, but use a roll crimper for all my buckshot loads. All you'd need are the components, a $30 roll crimper and something to spin it with.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I believe the Federal Flite-Control wad is pretty much identical to the Hornady Versatite wad.

FWIW, in my 12 gauge shotgun, Federal Flite-Control wads work as advertised. Hornady Versatite wads do not work as advertised.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 12344mag, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,824
Posts18,477,888
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.