Campfire Tracker
D
I don't

Last edited by Dude270; 04/15/22.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It's a personal preference. I don't. I can see where searing it with different spices would add flavors will add some variety.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Cold pack is all I 've done. Tastes great use sea salt only.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
My wife says yes.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anyone with two tastebuds to rub together can tell the difference. The reason is the "Maillard Reaction."

Last edited by Sitka deer; 04/15/22. Reason: typo on Maillard

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
From Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

The Maillard reaction (/maɪˈjɑːr/ my-YAR; French: [majaʁ]) is a chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing sugars that gives browned food its distinctive flavor. Seared steaks, fried dumplings, cookies and other kinds of biscuits, breads, toasted marshmallows, and many other foods undergo this reaction. It is named after French chemist Louis Camille Maillard, who first described it in 1912 while attempting to reproduce biological protein synthesis.[1][2] The reaction is a form of non-enzymatic browning which typically proceeds rapidly from around 140 to 165 °C (280 to 330 °F). Many recipes call for an oven temperature high enough to ensure that a Maillard reaction occurs.[3] At higher temperatures, caramelization (the browning of sugars, a distinct process) and subsequently pyrolysis (final breakdown leading to burning and the development of acrid flavors) become more pronounced.[4]

The reactive carbonyl group of the sugar reacts with the nucleophilic amino group of the amino acid and forms a complex mixture of poorly characterized molecules responsible for a range of aromas and flavors. This process is accelerated in an alkaline environment (e.g., lye applied to darken pretzels; see lye roll), as the amino groups (RNH
+
→ RNH2) are deprotonated, and hence have an increased nucleophilicity. This reaction is the basis for many of the flavoring industry's recipes. At high temperatures, a probable[5] carcinogen called acrylamide can form.[6] This can be discouraged by heating at a lower temperature, adding asparaginase, or injecting carbon dioxide.[5]

In the cooking process, Maillard reactions can produce hundreds of different flavor compounds depending on the chemical constituents in the food, the temperature, the cooking time, and the presence of air. These compounds, in turn, often break down to form yet more flavor compounds. Flavor scientists have used the Maillard reaction over the years to make artificial flavors.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suppose you could cook a roast beef without browning it, but it taste better browning it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Do you brown it first?

Retards do.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have canned many WT deer but never browned it before canning it.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Do you brown it first?

Retards do.

Dunning-Kruger lives!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DLALLDER

After literal tons of experience, all I will say is entering an argument with less than 50% of the information required to respond intelligently leaves you looking like a total dumbshit, like flave...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Growing up, Mom canned a lot of venison. She didn't brown it first, just sliced it up, and canned it.

Then, when she cooked it, she dipped the slices in flour and cooked like you would fresh meat.

Never could tell much difference myself.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No browning

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by DLALLDER

After literal tons of experience, all I will say is entering an argument with less than 50% of the information required to respond intelligently leaves you looking like a total dumbshit, like flave...

^^^Retard alert.^^^

LOL

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I don’t know about beef but I can a lot of venison every year and never brown it. Raw pack only.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So all you folks that have never done it before think you know all about it... got it.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 04/18/22.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Scotty
I suppose you could cook a roast beef without browning it, but it taste better browning it.

#microwave

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
So all you folks that have never done it before think you know all about it... got it.

I'd love to know how living in an Indian village earned you such a discerning palette.

LOL

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by deflave

I'd love to know how living in an Indian village earned you such a discerning palette.

LOL

It's palate.

You're welcome,
Dr. Pedantic

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (afisher, arky65, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.