Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The question remains. Does anyone import the HiLux or LC diesel powerplant? Would Customs let you bring one over the border?

Once the engine is here, nobody knows or cares what is under the hood of my rig.

Google JDM imported half cuts. You get everything you need, except the resale value.

What rig are you thinking about diesel swapping?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hilux in New Zealand first time in 1986. immediate reaction: holy wowzer what a great truck. and double cab short box. mine company trucks.....

the answer to so many questions: why has toyota NOT done this? it is either politics or eco-extremism. which are really about the same thing.

anyway there is a company in business to supply such to the mining industry for underground use. no gas engines underground due safety. some suggest diesel not much better, but that aside, diesel changovers for 45 K or so. also must be upgraded to meet MSHA safety rules...... like the old mules underground, these do not resurface for a bunch of reasons.

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or misunderstanding."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by reivertom
Originally Posted by wyoelk
Nothing the simple application of money wont fix. There are Diesel engines available for my 2017 Tacoma.

Are they available in the US?

Yes. About $30k

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
That's a dream I have never had.

Me either.

😂

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ol_mike
People do engine swaps from 'salvage' engines in performance applications all the time.

Big 3 rotor mazda Rotary engines are a popular swap and street legal.
I knew a guy from Oregon who had a volkswagon diesel in a suzuki samurai 4x4, 35+mpg.

I've seen the VW Diesel swap in the Samurai 4 x 4.. that is pretty cool...

knew a guy up in Washington, that had a VW Karman Ghia, and mounted a Mazda Rotary engine in it...
plenty of room back there for that little Wankel engine.. and a radiator with electric fan...

fastest like Karman Ghia I ever saw....

Some guy over in Bend, will import Toyota Diesels from Australia or Japan, and put them in 4 Runners is his thing...
will do that or install Mercedes Small Diesels in them.....

Conversion was $15K, installed into your 4 Runner....haven't seen him advertise tho on line, in quite a while....

In Phoenix, I've seen Toyota trucks and 4 Runners with Mexican plates on them with Diesel engines.... factory installs..

we can't get them here due to the EPA, but in Mexico they can get all sorts of cool stuff.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
landcruisers are the choice 4x4 vehicle in Australia being the remote areas they are used , you need a vehicle to last. Hiluxes are more common being a more affordable unit. When I was in afghanistan the main up-armoured( B6 and B7 class) suburban vehicles were the big fords and the landcruisers, usually 200 series .Ultimately, many groups ended up with all landcruisers. They had the power to still move the extra tons of armoour at decent speeds, modest width, didnt sink into sand like the bigger trucks, more economical, lasted longer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
some of us wouldnt drive a toyota if they were free. there are still a few real americans left.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by srwshooter
some of us wouldnt drive a toyota if they were free. there are still a few real americans left.

Just curious... Would you rather have:

> A Toyota Tundra made in San Antonio TX? Or a Dodge Ram heche en Mexico?
> A Toyota Corolla made in Blue Springs MS? Or a Chevy Aveo made in South Korea?
> A Toyota Camry made in Georgetown KY? Or a Ford Mustang that does not have enough U.S. content to be labeled "Made In America"?

The single largest cost going into the manufacture of a vehicle is Labor $$$'s. I will support the companies that spend their Labor $$$'s on the American worker...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There is a diesel hi-lux for sale here locally. It’s right hand drive tho. Make a nice mail truck!

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
You might want to look at WildVeld4x4.com. They specialize in Landys and Cruisers and export 25 year + totally refurbished examples to the US. They ain't for free but they are reconditioned from the frame up.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can get service at any Cummins dealer -

R2.8 Diesel

310 lbs torque

Me

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
No thank you. Edk

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

I had a Toyota Station Wagon with a diesel motor years ago. I bought it in Great Falls MT. A returning soldier brought it back from Germany.

Ran it for a few years and sold it. It was under powered for the hills. Great MPG .

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Didn’t they put a diesel in Jeeps recently?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was looking at swapping out the 3.4L on my '91 with the 3.0L.

The engine swap itself wasn't bad, but the wiring harness had to be replaced. You could either make your own or buy one and it wasn't cheap. Then you had to address the hood clearance, and do some custom welding on the manifold.

Many people did it, which is why there was so much information out there about it, but in the end, I decided against it and sold the 3.4L motor to someone. I really wanted a Toyota pickup with 190HP though.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not I.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ah, the ubiquitous Hi-Lux. I have literally seen them world wide. Deserts to jungles, mountains to sea side. Even had a few "issued" to me for use. Always overloaded and a bit underpowered but damn near unbreakable (easy to fix when they do). The entire planet has them, except us.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
They are as close as Panama most people are driving a diesel Toyota Hilux or a Diesel Ford Ranger

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I understand the Toyota "Tundra" is now equipped with a Cummins diesel.
Kid has a '17 Dodge 1500 w/"Eco- diesel". Super mileage, a great ride and plenty of pep.
I'm still driving my '01 Dodge 3500 w/Cummins! +400K miles and still getting 17 mpg!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I understand the Toyota "Tundra" is now equipped with a Cummins diesel.
Kid has a '17 Dodge 1500 w/"Eco- diesel". Super mileage, a great ride and plenty of pep.
I'm still driving my '01 Dodge 3500 w/Cummins! +400K miles and still getting 17 mpg!

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,934
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.