Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I could never have imagined this could happen.

Walked in a black river swamp at daylight. Heard two birds about 300 yards away. It was still pretty dark so I cut the distance to 100 yards after crossing a small flat of water. Set up against two massive cypress trees with about a 20 inch opening between the two.

Gorgeous place with 12" grass as far as you can see and huge timber... you can see 100-200 yards all through this place. Made a few light yelps and got cut off. Birds gobbled 7-10 times and then went quiet. I was waiting for 25 minutes and saw/heard nothing. Called a couple of times and zilch... waited another 15 min and decided to get real aggressive before going to another farm. Got a box and started cutting on it while cutting back on the mouth call... then finished up with a jake gobble... NOTHING... did this same sequence again a few min later and nothing. Waited 5 more min and decided to check my texts. As SOON as my hand hit my jacket pocket, there was a WHAP!!!!! across my back and bounced off my head. I feel like he knew he made a mistake mid jump and was just trying to get out of Dodge... It pounced on me from between the two giant cypresses. As I immediately turned to see a bobcat in high gear going across the same log that I crossed WIDE OPEN.

Probably the most memorable hunt I have ever had... Killed probably 40 yotes that came in to a call and seen many more. I have only seen a handful of bobcats turkey hunting in the last 45 years... I'm thinking I only saw a scarce few of the ones that are there. Still trying to get my arms around what happened. Absolutely unforgettable.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Wow!

Even though I find bobcat tracks on my property, I've yet to see one. And all my years tromping around the woods in the badger state, haven't seen one of those either.

You sure had a memorable hunt!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
Have a friend that his dad had the same happen to him but he didn’t come out as well. It tore him all to hell to the point of stitches. Said he even freaked out driving down the road when a cat would cross in front of him for awhile.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A friend was riding his Enduro motorcycle on my property a few years ago. He approached a stack of wood I had cut earlier when a Bobcat spooked from behind the pile, ran out and bounced off his leg as he went by. We see them on our Deer cams several times a year.

Last edited by Biebs; 04/22/22.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by afisher
Have a friend that his dad had the same happen to him but he didn’t come out as well. It tore him all to hell to the point of stitches. Said he even freaked out driving down the road when a cat would cross in front of him for awhile.

WOW shocked

I'm still in disbelief... the coolest thing that has ever happened to me hunting...

Last edited by Sasha_and_Abby; 04/22/22.

Will Rogers
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
that sounds freaking awesome!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Had a Mexican hunting guide tell me he was calling Coyotes, for a hunter that had a pony tail hair about 1/2 way down his back, and a Bobcat, hit the guy from behind, scared the crap out of both of them.

i've called in a Bobcat that came in and sat down right next to me, less than a arms reach away, had another one walk past me from behind and sit down in front of me, closer than the end of my rifle barrel, i never got either one of them. blink and they see you and they are gone. they are a challenge to hunt. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've called in and killed probably a dozen bobcats, and even called one in while turkey hunting. Fortunately, I've never had one mistake me for a turkey and jump on me. I do know a couple of guys who've had id happen to them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Holy shiit!!! Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a cool story.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That’s awesome

What a experience!!!

Only seen 4 in the wild
We don’t have many here and they aren’t very big

Killed one with a 9mm pistol. Looking back should have let
It walk and watched it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I killed one while out turkey hunting. Like above, wish I had let it walk!
I've killed several 'yotes slipping up on my turkey deke!

But yeah S&A, that would be spooky! 🤯!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my previous neighborhood, we had several bobcats over the years. This was a town of 300,000, a suburb in the northern region of the Dallas metropolitan area. The houses were on fairly small lots - typical size 80’ x 150’.

My neighborhood had a creek, heavily wooded. The creek was effectively a tunneled freeway for predators. Bobcats, coyotes, and even one mountain lion.

My then college-aged son used to walk through the park late at night, more than once he could hear / sense an animal following him.

One of the neighbors had a mother bobcat and her offspring living under their wooden deck.

Multiple times I had bobcats in my front yard. Once I tried to run then off. They stood their ground and snarled at me. After I threw the doormat at them, they ran down the side of my house. When I went back inside, I could hear them growling.

Needless-to-say, we did not have any domestic cats running loose in the neighborhood.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
that will wake you up quicker than a double Espresso
cool story

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was predator calling with a mouth call on a ridge about 15 years ago. The woods was full of squirrel chatter and then it went quiet. As I got ready to go I got up and turned around. A bobcat was sitting there 10 yards behind me staring at me. It was a spooky feeling looking back as I felt like something was watching me.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Well there’s one cat that should have his hunting privileges revoked - ALWAYS be sure of your target!!

Seriously cool story and glad you came out physically unscathed - had a friend that had the same thing happen in PA and he required a few stitches. Said he never heard a sound before it happened - stealthy little fellows!!

PennDog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, were any undergarments harmed in the making of this story?😜

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If not harmed, maybe stained? Lol! (sorry)

I survived a full on bear attack, years ago, while moose hunting up in the very NW corner of Saskatchewan. After all the dust settled, I looked at my guide and said "well, I'm still here, the bears dead, I'm ready to shoot again and there's nothing in my underwear that isn't supposed to be there". Ha!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
If not harmed, maybe stained? Lol! (sorry)

I survived a full on bear attack, years ago, while moose hunting up in the very NW corner of Saskatchewan. After all the dust settled, I looked at my guide and said "well, I'm still here, the bears dead, I'm ready to shoot again and there's nothing in my underwear that isn't supposed to be there". Ha!

Bwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Greatness !!!!!!!

Will Rogers
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I guess your calling is pretty realistic.

NRA Patron
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,888 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.