Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RL

The Athlon would be where I would look first, then consider a Burris Fullfield. Camera Land NY has treated guys here pretty good with pricing etc.

Always our pleasure to assist the members here

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Would it be ridiculous to make a 2-8x40mm scope? Seems like that would be the best of both worlds. Lower magnification but a nice "full" objective.

You mean something like this?
https://www.bushnell.com/riflescope...40-riflescope-multi-x/BU-REL2104BS3.html

Or this
https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/signature-hd-riflescopes/signature-hd-2-10x40mm

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Here's a thread with pictures of everything mounted on everything else.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15493852/1

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by Overkill45
Would it be ridiculous to make a 2-8x40mm scope? Seems like that would be the best of both worlds. Lower magnification but a nice "full" objective.

You mean something like this?
https://www.bushnell.com/riflescope...40-riflescope-multi-x/BU-REL2104BS3.html

Or this
https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/signature-hd-riflescopes/signature-hd-2-10x40mm

Not a huge fan of the Bushnells but I had no idea Burris made a 2-10....I'll definitely have to take a closer look at that one. Just wish it was a little lighter. Inventory is so low at the stores around me that I'm not having much luck getting to actually look through these scopes.

There is no wifi in the wilderness, but you will find a better connection.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by plumbum
OP, on a classic American rifle like yours, I would go with a Leupold. American-made, lightweight, good warranty. I would also pick the 3.5-10 over less magnification. I use 9x more than I use 2x, hunting or at the range. But the 2.5-8 would be good too.

If you don't want the Leupold, get the Accupoint. I just got one, the green mil-dot, just took it hunting on Maui, am 100% pleased. The green dot was still visible against the greenest vegetation.

Don't go cheap on a scope. Better glass and coatings cost more. Whenever I find myself straining to see at last light, I don't want to know I could be seeing better if I had spent a little more. The VX3-HD is not that expensive. My first scope was a Vari-X II, and it wasn't long before I wished I had bought the III.

Anyways, that's my 2c.

You got that right, at least some of it anyway. The model 70 is the "rifleman's rifle" and true an American classic. The op can put a Leupold on it, but I suggest an older one. Don't mount it a mile high either. Those guys live in Denver or something or have giraffe necks. I also agree that a 3.5-10x40 is damn near perfect on a hunting rifle. A 3-9x40 has been the epitome of versatile power range for most typical hunters though. For the most part, that is what I use. I also like the smaller shorter Leupold 2.5-8x36 as well. If the op wants to stay with Leupold and likes that power range, then by all means get one. I'd get a Vari-x III before I bought a newer one though. Here are just a few pictures of some of the set ups I've ran:

Newest to the family, Pre 64 fwt in Mcmillan supergrade, conetrol rings and bases and topped with a Leupold Vari-x III 3.5-10x40
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Being a competitive shotgun shooter, I do not like to lift my head off the stock, so you will notice most of my scopes are mounted low. That is a comfortable position for my use. You should be able to pull the rifle up shoulder it and have a full sight picture instantly. If not, it's either mounted too high or too low.

Classic stainless featherweight with one of my favorite "hunting" scopes, a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. Of course with Leupold dual dovetail bases and rings:

Next most recent purchase. An XTR featherweight 22-250. Topped with a gloss Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle, sitting in Leupold DD's:

Classic featherweight 7mm08 with gloss Leupold Vari-x III 2.5-8x36 sitting in DD's:

Extreme weather with Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 in Talley lightweights:

Short action model 70 with Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 in Leupold DD's:

There are many scopes that will work. I have many other pictures of model 70 rifles I've had or still have, but they are scoped similarly. The only difference may be one may have an older Nikon monarch UCC 3-9x40 and another may have a Bushnell elite 3200 3-9x40. I've pretty much replaced those and the Leupolds with the regular ol run of the mill Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle though, as that scope works great for hunting. Most of my hunting rifles wear that scope, as I've been using them since the late 90's. Still have my first one that I bought back then and it is retired on my old '56 fwt:
That's an American made Burris that has been on 10 different rifles. From 22lr to 375H&H and it has always gotten the job done. Here it is on an XTR featherweight:
That scope has really held up well. There is a reason a lot of guys like them here... So, there are a few pics the OP may be able to use. Sorry I don't have any of the new fandangle scopes on my model 70's. Like you said though, the Winchester model 70 is a "classic" rifle. It deserves a classic style scope.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Better get those Burris Fullfield II's in 3-9x40 while you can, they're discontinued. Natchezz has them for $135 right now on sale.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I live and hunt in Maine and am perpetually on 2-3power. I love the 1-4 or1.5-5 power type scopes. Even a fixed 2.5 or 3 would be good near and far.

The way life should be.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by patbrennan
IIRC the 2x7 freedom scope has a very short mounting distance, just something to be aware of as it will not fit every rifle/base/ring combo.
The 3x9 only weighs perhaps a couple ounces more, is more forgiving on mounting, and cranked down to 3x gives you a pretty decent FOV.
FWIW I think the 2.5x8 looks perfect on a fwt, but they do cost more!

not to worry, it'll fit just fine....

I have a 2 x 7 Leupold Shot Gun scope that has lived on top a Model 70 long action in 30/06 since the early 90s...

I've taken several good sized Minnesota or Wisconsin bucks with it at over 250 yds... and after the shot was surprised it was down on 2 power, instead of higher...

Usually shooting 220 grain RNs from Sierra or Hornady....factory ammo in those days...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
was scrolling back to the top of the page, and was seeing your thread from the bottom to the top, and then wasn't surprised when I saw it was one of yours Lawrence....

Definitely some nice model 70 Featherweights there Lawrence.... one of my favorite rifles period...

but I only have 3 of them...

one in 223, one in 6.5 x 55 ( which is a Rebarreled 30/06) and then a 7mm Mauser... love mileage one, that I bought in Roseburg at the gun shop up there a couple of decades ago.... guy bought it and then sold it back to them on consignment, because he has a hell of a time finding ammo for it..

got that last one for $300.00 with a 3 x 9 Nikon Scope on it.... plenty of people looked at it, but then asked WTF is a 7 mm Mauser??? welcome to Roseburg.

paid $300 for the 223 also... guess they are fairly rare....gun show here in G.P. every one who looked at it wanted to know what was wrong with it...price was too low..
I'm not that stupid... knew for $300, if I had to replace the barrel it would still be a bargain...it was low miles and shoots like a bench gun...

the 6.5 x 55, I picked up for $500 with a 6.5 x 20 Leupold on top... the owner had it on consignment also.... old time Benchrest shooter from the 50s.. Kenny Moore.
ran into him on the range after having it for a few years... he instantly recognized it.... told me he finally sold it, with a shot out barrel.... but that was the 5th barrel it had on it since he had bought it new... has a Laminate Win Tuff stock on it...

no worries, as I bought it to put a 6.5 x 55 barrel on it anyway... went with a 26 inch on it, just to reach out there...

every time anyone sees it, they seem to be motivated to offer to buy it from me...nice looking rifle...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
was scrolling back to the top of the page, and was seeing your thread from the bottom to the top, and then wasn't surprised when I saw it was one of yours Lawrence....

Definitely some nice model 70 Featherweights there Lawrence.... one of my favorite rifles period...

but I only have 3 of them...

one in 223, one in 6.5 x 55 ( which is a Rebarreled 30/06) and then a 7mm Mauser... love mileage one, that I bought in Roseburg at the gun shop up there a couple of decades ago.... guy bought it and then sold it back to them on consignment, because he has a hell of a time finding ammo for it..

got that last one for $300.00 with a 3 x 9 Nikon Scope on it.... plenty of people looked at it, but then asked WTF is a 7 mm Mauser??? welcome to Roseburg.

paid $300 for the 223 also... guess they are fairly rare....gun show here in G.P. every one who looked at it wanted to know what was wrong with it...price was too low..
I'm not that stupid... knew for $300, if I had to replace the barrel it would still be a bargain...it was low miles and shoots like a bench gun...

the 6.5 x 55, I picked up for $500 with a 6.5 x 20 Leupold on top... the owner had it on consignment also.... old time Benchrest shooter from the 50s.. Kenny Moore.
ran into him on the range after having it for a few years... he instantly recognized it.... told me he finally sold it, with a shot out barrel.... but that was the 5th barrel it had on it since he had bought it new... has a Laminate Win Tuff stock on it...

no worries, as I bought it to put a 6.5 x 55 barrel on it anyway... went with a 26 inch on it, just to reach out there...

every time anyone sees it, they seem to be motivated to offer to buy it from me...nice looking rifle...

Not my thread buddy. I just posted pics of some of my rifles to help the op out a bit. The Winchester model 70 featherweight is also one of my favorite rifles. Every generation in fact. They are all nice, from the '52-'63 and then 1980's XTR's, Classics and then the Baco's. You have some nice ones. That 7mm mauser is pretty rare, as is the 6.5x55. I'll eventually run across one of those myself and then snag it. ha ha..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The KISS method applies here.

Fixed 4x scope.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...fence-post-pics-or-any-post#Post10863573

Here is mine with an older Leupold 4x, in plastic and walnut, same rifle.

I think the link works, wish I knew how to put up the pics

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Better get those Burris Fullfield II's in 3-9x40 while you can, they're discontinued. Natchezz has them for $135 right now on sale.

At $134.49, that is a solid deal on a great scope.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I bought three for the helluvit a bit ago. They seem to work.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Here is a 70 fwt, DD mounts, low rings, 36mm objective:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

That is a sweet set up. Baco made in Portugal? Looks like a 6x36, as the tube mounting length is better (5.9 inches) on those vs. the infamous 2.5-8x36.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I bought three for the helluvit a bit ago. They seem to work.

If they run out, check Amazon. I checked their price and it was spot on Natchez’s, once shipping was added, and they promised delivery the same day! By cracky, they did it too. Found it on the porch just at dark. No wonder they lost 4 b-b-b-billion bucks; that’s the second delivery today.

Going on the shelf for a spare.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Y'all are going to force me into buying a set of DDs or Conetrols. grin

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by RevMike

Y'all are going to force me into buying a set of DDs or Conetrols. grin

If you go dual dovetail you might want to check out the Burris Signature rings with inserts.

Burris Sig DD

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, Backroads, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 10 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,398
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.