Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
strikeu Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
saw a thread a while back touting the advantages of an auto transmission on a heavy duty truck.

for some reason I can't find it now.

Diesel truck, regardless of manufacturer, what is the consensus on transmission types?

towing between 10 and 18 k lbs. some hills mostly hwy.

think RV...

GB1

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I prefer a manual in all trucks unless I am going to have a lot of stop and go traffic in a city. Problem is getting a manual in a newer truck is a tall order.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I drive an F 350 with a ZF650 manual. I tow about 12 to 13000 lbs. I hate the way an automatic "gear searches".
.I'll just change gears myself.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Would try to find a manual, just me

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Manual for me please.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you're buying new then a manual isn't an option anyway so it's a moot point.

Years ago I'd have said manuals were better, but the autos have gotten so good that they do everything better. The only reason for a manual nowadays is for nostalgia or just because you want one. I still love a manual in a sports car, but in a pickup give me the auto so I can let it do the work.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Been running automatic transmissions since 2014 without any problems. I'd still rather have a stick for a dedicated tow truck. But with the torque that the newer Cummins puts out they'll slip if you don't have a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate.

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Heavy duty truck?

Are you fugging kidding me?

Class 6 7 or 8?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A control freak here. Driving a manual F350, but not hearing of any among the new rigs.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's a reason why God allowed humans to invent air conditioning, elevators, and automatic transmissions - 'cause day's GOOD!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both my diesel pickups are manuals.
Autos are nice for city driving or even mountain driving, but their disadvantages outweigh their advantages, to me at least. I like having which gear I want, not what the computer thinks I want. I have blown s few automatic transmissions over the years while towing, and I don't tow anything real heavy very often. My 99 Stroker and 91 Cummins both have their original manual transmissions and have zero issues right now.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I drove my manual 98 Dodge Cummins 20 years. Hunting season was right at 17,000 pounds, truck,trailer, loaded and really liked it. Wanted to get another manual.You can't find them on a lot now days. I am pleasantly surprised with this 2019 Chevy Duramax, w/Allison 6 sp auto. Especially the manual tow mode pulling up mountain passes.You can shift it just like a manual or let it do it's own thing

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
strikeu Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have one of each.

2006 RAM 3500 DRW Quad cab G56 LOVE it. maybe tow 7-8 k lbs trailer with a mid sized tractor, otherwise it's a daily. .

2018 RAM 3500 HO auto with AISIN, towing my fiver across country.

just wondering what others tow a trailer with

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by saddlesore
I drove my manual 98 Dodge Cummins 20 years. Hunting season was right at 17,000 pounds, truck,trailer, loaded and really liked it. Wanted to get another manual.You can't find them on a lot now days. I am pleasantly surprised with this 2019 Chevy Duramax, w/Allison 6 sp auto. Especially the manual tow mode pulling up mountain passes.You can shift it just like a manual or let it do it's own thing

I have driven a few automatics with that manual tow mode feature. I keep forgetting that those options are available these days.
I'm too poor to have something that new right now anyhow but it is a good idea, in theory at least.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Auto now that they have been refined. Manual up until 7-8 years ago.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
06 duramax allison auto with electronic manual.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Been running automatic transmissions since 2014 without any problems. I'd still rather have a stick for a dedicated tow truck. But with the torque that the newer Cummins puts out they'll slip if you don't have a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate.

Just a question, as I can't afford a new truck, even a Tacoma, but why the hell would ANY company sell a diesel rig, designed for towing, without putting in a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate? Why would a lighter duty set up in a manual trans coupled to a diesel motor even be an option?

Sheesh.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Just a question, as I can't afford a new truck, even a Tacoma, but why the hell would ANY company sell a diesel rig, designed for towing, without putting in a heavy duty clutch and pressure plate? Why would a lighter duty set up in a manual trans coupled to a diesel motor even be an option?

Sheesh.

Have you been in a coma for the last 10 years? You can’t buy a standard transmission in a truck to save your soul, but horses and campers are still being pulled all over the United States.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
If you're buying new then a manual isn't an option anyway so it's a moot point.

Years ago I'd have said manuals were better, but the autos have gotten so good that they do everything better. The only reason for a manual nowadays is for nostalgia or just because you want one. I still love a manual in a sports car, but in a pickup give me the auto so I can let it do the work.

The other reason for a manual is that they are less likely to be stolen as fewer people know how to work a clutch.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Allison behind a Cummins is pretty good, but when you finish throwing hey off the back;
the foot race begins! I seem to be getting old and slow! smile smile smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,531
Posts18,472,723
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.