R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Well it’s only obvious cowboy knows everything about gun dogs. 🙄

You're new here, so you don't know that he's consistently wrong about 99% of what he posts... This thread is no exception.

still waiting for his super dog hunting pics.....

He is at lowes looking for improved Garden Hose hangers.
Had a inspiration for a new scope testing rig at the playground......

Last edited by renegade50; 05/01/22.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Waiting for Alamosa to show up and show you guys what a cow dog can do on birds in the field, which makes the point its more about the individual dog than just the breed.

Don't see any cattle dogs out in E Montana, Idaho, E Oregon , Nevada and North Dakota upland hunting. Wonder why that is? Are they a flushing or pointing breed?

My post was more tongue in cheek than claiming heelers make better upland hunting dogs. The point is that "birdie" dogs are just that. Not debating you on the obvious merits of specificity in dog breeds (hunting or otherwise), but ultimately it comes down to individual dogs within the breed, most cases being who's kennel they came from and how they are trained/treated by their owners.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I didn't mean to come across as snotty but a herding dog that will sometimes retrieve a dead bird does not equate to being a good upland or waterfowl dog. Agree that dog's individual talents differ. There are always anomalies but as has been stated you can't beat good breeding and genetics.As as you mentioned early training and treating your hunting dog correctly is important too. I think that wire hairs are some of the few remaining breeds left have breeders that are very protective of good breeding and maintaining standards or at least I hope so. The same with puddle pointers which I think are a great bird dog breed too

cheers

Waiting for Alamosa to show up and show you guys what a cow dog can do on birds in the field, which makes the point its more about the individual dog than just the breed.

Don't see any cattle dogs out in E Montana, Idaho, E Oregon , Nevada and North Dakota upland hunting. Wonder why that is? Are they a flushing or pointing breed?

My post was more tongue in cheek than claiming heelers make better upland hunting dogs. The point is that "birdie" dogs are just that. Not debating you on the obvious merits of specificity in dog breeds (hunting or otherwise), but ultimately it comes down to individual dogs within the breed, most cases being who's kennel they came from and how they are trained/treated by their owners.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
My hunting buddy’s lab was a beast on planted birds. No pen raised pheasant was safe.

Turn him out at the release site and you’d have a limit in maybe 10 minutes. No shotgun needed! Fugker would bring them right back to ya.

Wild birds, you best be ready to run after him. 😳

Love my griff. Hate dealing with her coat. It’s a trade off.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No worries, you're a straight shooter and get to your point.
I couldn't agree more on the lack of good dogs/breeders left in the so called "hunting" and working arena. Many examples of screwed up breeds in relation to their historical physical/temperament for their intended use. My sister was gifted an Airedale almost 50 years ago that would make todays' "standard" blush with envy. Bruno was tough as nails, hard coat not like this soft fluffy hair you see now, and a hunting machine. Protective of the family when needed but trust worthy around kids and friends.

I didn't mean to come across as snotty but a herding dog that will sometimes retrieve a dead bird does not equate to being a good upland or waterfowl dog. Agree that dog's individual talents differ. There are always anomalies but as has been stated you can't beat good breeding and genetics.As as you mentioned early training and treating your hunting dog correctly is important too. I think that wire hairs are some of the few remaining breeds left have breeders that are very protective of good breeding and maintaining standards or at least I hope so. The same with puddle pointers which I think are a great bird dog breed too

cheers

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My yellow and brown labs were exactly like that. Non moving birds were finished with no need to use a shotgun shell. Wild birds… you better have your running shoes on.

There’s no doubt that all breeds of dogs can be capable of hunting. When I was a kid there was an acquaintance of my dad that had a German Shepherd that was hell on pheasants. Would flush and retrieve just like a lab. I have a friend that claims his Aussie will bird hunt with the best of them. And there’s no doubt she’s smart but my DD will hunt circles around her.

One of the main attractions to me with the DD is that you can’t just backyard breed any old pair of dogs with their junk intact. Like I said earlier there is a whole process you have to go through in order to be certified. You have the two breed tests known as the VJP and HZP. These test the dogs both natural and trained ability in tracking, pointing, retrieving, gun sensitivity, water work, use of nose, cooperation etc. They have to have their hips,shoulders and elbows x-rayed and certified similar to an OFA and CFA certification. They have to pass what’s called a “hardness” test which the dog has an encounter with a predator of at least 12 lbs is encountered (usually a coon is used). The dog doesn’t have to kill it but that’s what usually happens. They can’t back down. There are size requirements and color requirements. There’s a few more things involved but explaining it all will wear a guy out. Then when you get certified to breed, there’s a whole litany of things involved with your kennel and pups. Basically they make it very stringent to make the DD as a breed, held to a very high standard. This doesn’t mean all other dogs are useless, just that the likely hood of getting an above average hunting dog goes up exponentially. I’m sold on the system and I’ve seen it in action. This was the main reason for the break off of the GWP guys. It was too involved of a process to breed a dog that was never going to be used on rabbits or blood trail a deer.

Oh and yeah I may have only a few posts but I’ve been a lurker since the Eyeball days of the fire. 😁😁

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My yellow and brown labs were exactly like that. Non moving birds were finished with no need to use a shotgun shell. Wild birds… you better have your running shoes on.

There’s no doubt that all breeds of dogs can be capable of hunting. When I was a kid there was an acquaintance of my dad that had a German Shepherd that was hell on pheasants. Would flush and retrieve just like a lab. I have a friend that claims his Aussie will bird hunt with the best of them. And there’s no doubt she’s smart but my DD will hunt circles around her.

One of the main attractions to me with the DD is that you can’t just backyard breed any old pair of dogs with their junk intact. Like I said earlier there is a whole process you have to go through in order to be certified. You have the two breed tests known as the VJP and HZP. These test the dogs both natural and trained ability in tracking, pointing, retrieving, gun sensitivity, water work, use of nose, cooperation etc. They have to have their hips,shoulders and elbows x-rayed and certified similar to an OFA and CFA certification. They have to pass what’s called a “hardness” test which the dog has an encounter with a predator of at least 12 lbs is encountered (usually a coon is used). The dog doesn’t have to kill it but that’s what usually happens. They can’t back down. There are size requirements and color requirements. There’s a few more things involved but explaining it all will wear a guy out. Then when you get certified to breed, there’s a whole litany of things involved with your kennel and pups. Basically they make it very stringent to make the DD as a breed, held to a very high standard. This doesn’t mean all other dogs are useless, just that the likely hood of getting an above average hunting dog goes up exponentially. I’m sold on the system and I’ve seen it in action. This was the main reason for the break off of the GWP guys. It was too involved of a process to breed a dog that was never going to be used on rabbits or blood trail a deer.

Oh and yeah I may have only a few posts but I’ve been a lurker since the Eyeball days of the fire. 😁😁
what are the DD pups going for these days

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Most are around $2,000 but some breeders are $2,500-3,000.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deadlift_dude
Every labradoodle and golden doodle I have come across has been a friendly dog. And dumber than a box of rocks.

I don;t like the looks of them and I don;t like them being functional doggie retards. To get hte looks right and the docility, they have to inbreed a whole bunch.

================

Also, not all cross-breeds or hybrids are good. There is such a thing as "outbreeding depression" that produces undesirable traits similar to inbreeding. You've liklely come across such dogs: funny-looking and good for only turning dog food into dog poop.

Nice house dogs for women. Not much personality , intelligence and not very trainable but they dont shed. There are worse dogs, but not for me

Yep. When I visit, I pet and love on them and they are happy for the attention. But I don't want to own one. I want a dog that is more hunter/predator than food for coyotes if it gets out on its own.

==========

Originally Posted by duck911
Originally Posted by deadlift_dude
Every labradoodle and golden doodle I have come across has been a friendly dog. And dumber than a box of rocks.

I don;t like the looks of them and I don;t like them being functional doggie retards. To get hte looks right and the docility, they have to inbreed a whole bunch.

================

Also, not all cross-breeds or hybrids are good. There is such a thing as "outbreeding depression" that produces undesirable traits similar to inbreeding. You've liklely come across such dogs: funny-looking and good for only turning dog food into dog poop.

You are speaking in broad strokes, and it sounds like you have no clue what you are talking about..

My Goldendoodles are F1 crosses - full bred,, papered Goldens, crossed with full bred, papered Poodles. There is no "inbreeding". These are the non-hypo-allergenic great dogs most speak of, and probably make up most of the "designer doodle" market.. Their intellect is a cross between a poodle and a golden - they are AMAZINGLY intelligent.

There are other crosses (F2, and Flb, for example), that are a much smaller subset of these breeds, and people who sell all kinds of mutts as "doodles".. It sounds like those chitjeads are YOUR peer group. So, maybe find some new friends.

Yep, broad strokes. As in an entire breed of dogs. You got me. I also hear APBT can be a bit bitey and beagles somewhat obsessive on a scent trail.

I am sure YOUR *-doodles are wonderful exceptions to my empirical observations. Send me their AP Calculus scores, maybe?

I currently live in suburbia and we are covered up in *-doodles. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting one. I walk & run and am relatively serious about it. Until there is a dog and dog-owner to pet & chat up (in THAT order). And several friends, some of whom have serious cash on hand and are not afraid to spend it, also own *-doodles. Without exception, all the *-doodles have been friendly and not-so-bright. I suspect the breeders must cull when they get an unfriendly *-doodle. Just in my range of walking & running, I have had contact with ~20 of them. Sure, not the sample size I would like were I to present a paper to my colleagues, but good enough for a rule of thumb.

And I do spend a god amount of time in the field upland hunting with my octogenarian dad. Have yet to see a *-doodle out there. Lots of spaniels & pointers and some labs, though.

Wally Conron, the guy credited with starting the *-doodle craze, had this to say about the *-doodle craze:
Conron has since repeatedly stated he regrets initiating the fashion for this type of crossbreed and maintains it caused "a lot of damage" together with "a lot of problems". He also felt he was to blame for "creating a Frankenstein", adding that problems were being bred into the dogs rather than breeding away from problems. He is further quoted as claiming: "For every perfect one, you're going to find a lot of crazy ones."

I am not nearly so down on hthe *-doodles and Wally, but OG Doodle Man may have a point.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
No worries, you're a straight shooter and get to your point.
I couldn't agree more on the lack of good dogs/breeders left in the so called "hunting" and working arena. Many examples of screwed up breeds in relation to their historical physical/temperament for their intended use. My sister was gifted an Airedale almost 50 years ago that would make todays' "standard" blush with envy. Bruno was tough as nails, hard coat not like this soft fluffy hair you see now, and a hunting machine. Protective of the family when needed but trust worthy around kids and friends.

cheers

Very possible if not likely that Bruno was a redline Airedale.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My first dog was a Poodle pit mix. That dog was smarter than most peoples kids and very protective. Great rabbit dog.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by longarm
Whatever. Last pheasant hunt we were on I rode a mountain bike in 7 miles with her running along side. Dropped camp and hunted til dark. Slept out in 13° and up before light.. hunted til dark. Miles hiked that day by ME ( not the dog)? 12. Dog ran all day. Pheasants quail and doves. Slept out again, hunt morning, run the whole way out.
But... Nice truck, dude.

I wish I had a clue as to how some of my English Pointers and GSPs have run in a day. My son covered 18 miles by pedometer one day with short breaks as we drove ranch roads looking for the next covey of blue quail with her making 50 - 150 yard swings ahead of him until they got on birds, then busting it full speed through weeds, brush, mesquite after dead and hauling ass crippled runners and digging like a buzzsaw down 2 feet in varmint holes they like to dive in. I know it sounds crazy but I figure she had to be covering 100 - 150 miles in a long day with a little food about 2:00.

This was pretty tame low grass country.

This country is a lot tougher. Rough sand mougles wear one out just driving over it.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Great pics for sure. Beautiful

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
And I’m interested in seeing these great labs in action too

Some people run their mouths and dont actually do anything. We all know the types. People with real "hunting dogs" understand the amount of time, expense and dedication it takes to put out a good dog. A great one comes along maybe a few times in a lifetime. No substitute for wild bird contacts the first few years of their lives. Not returded preserve birds

This. I much prefer having a shock collar to get ones attention when they get around brush cattle with calves, porcupines, javelina or when out several hundred yards and 4 or 5 coyotes decide to eat dog. It's no fun pulling 18 quills out of a dogs face or letting one tussle with a skunk or badger.

When younger I've seen her evidently smell a covey a long way off and disappear going over a ridge 700-800 yds away. Then it's a 15 minute agonizing wait while honking the truck horn. Its always dicey at night if your dog goes after a bobcat you called in and wounded and they dont get the message to come back or after a wounded coyote even in daylight.

I've had her head out 200 yards from me and cross heavily traveled oilfield roads with me hollering and wondering WTF only to have her come back with a live cripple someone else must have shot hunting the same BLM land earlier in the day.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/10/22.

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
poodapitty or a pittydoodle would be cool. grin

Hey, what do you know. Apparently, it's a thing.

[Linked Image from pupvine.com]

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I knew someone who had a cocker poodle cross that was pretty danged sharp. About 25 - 30 lbs.

I would have liked having one of those and taken it hunting birds and squirrels and Pecos River ducks.

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
poodapitty or a pittydoodle would be cool. grin

Hey, what do you know. Apparently, it's a thing.

[Linked Image from pupvine.com]

Looks like my Frosty but he was crossed with a full sized poodle, bigger dog.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got your standard poodle stud right here. He's a good boy. 1 year old and going deer hunting this fall.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The neighbor up the hill and down the road has a couple of these. St Bernard and Poodle cross. This is the peeled for summer coat but they get shaggy as bears come fall/winter.
This one is about 125 lbs and is a pretty good watchdog as is the other. Both are very kid/people friendly if they know you.
They respond well to the electric collar and perimeter fencing and dont run the Elk or deer that get inside the wire. The pair of them have harassed a bear or two that were after the chickens.
Great dogs imported from Canada they tell me.

.... like tears in the rain
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (257 mag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 44mc, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 10 invisible), 1,618 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,844
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.