-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Regardless of your likes or dislikes the real reason behind the automatic transmission is twofold. Emissions and fuel mileage. A computer can achieve the regulatory goals much more consistently than a human.
Both of these requirements are a result of governmental regulations and are not related to providing a product that performs a job the way the user would want.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
question, since my pickup has a manual - I haven't driven long distances with any of the new autos. How are these new 8 and 10 speed gas autos for holding on steep downhills with a heavy load? Do they have enough compression so you don't have to ride the brakes?
We have a Toyota Highlander with an 8 speed. I have to get down to 4th before I feel any compression at all.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by autoshopteacher
Regardless of your likes or dislikes the real reason behind the automatic transmission is twofold. Emissions and fuel mileage. A computer can achieve the regulatory goals much more consistently than a human.
Both of these requirements are a result of governmental regulations and are not related to providing a product that performs a job the way the user would want.

We see this in semi trucks today. I new truck I ordered six months ago (and still five months to go for delivery, sigh) will be an automated transmission. In the real world, the automated transmission saves about 14% in fuel. Even professional drivers can't / don't match what the computer can do as far as saving fuel. The latest generations of engine / tranny combos integrate GPS into the shift pattern. For example, they'll let off the compression brake near the bottom of a hill and allow the rig to gain a bit more speed and let the momentum build up a bit to save fuel.

All that said, just give me my 13 speed and let me do my thing. I'm enough of a control freak to want to control everything I can control.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use the jake brake on the diesel and it seems to be coupled to the transmission and works well. 19 Chev 2500. Older Ram had driver applied jake but this Chevy seems to do it's thing electronically. No experience with the newer gassers.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dutch

We see this in semi trucks today. I new truck I ordered six months ago (and still five months to go for delivery, sigh) will be an automated transmission. In the real world, the automated transmission saves about 14% in fuel. Even professional drivers can't / don't match what the computer can do as far as saving fuel. The latest generations of engine / tranny combos integrate GPS into the shift pattern. For example, they'll let off the compression brake near the bottom of a hill and allow the rig to gain a bit more speed and let the momentum build up a bit to save fuel.

All that said, just give me my 13 speed and let me do my thing. I'm enough of a control freak to want to control everything I can control.

That's fine as long as the guy right in front of you with the 35' 5th wheel towing a car dolly does the same.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Dutch

That's fine as long as the guy right in front of you with the 35' 5th wheel towing a car dolly does the same.

That's what the smart cruise control is for.......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For how we use our pickups out here in the mostly flat lands of eastern Montana, auto's rule.

I have zero desire to drive a manual transmission pickup.

Keep the engine within reco'd hp specs and the transmission should last quite awhile.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 1234, 59 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,229
Posts18,524,752
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.