Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm more concerned about the shooter than the rifle. The only guns I own that won't consistently shoot 1” or better groups have open sights and or were passed down to me. I suck shooting freehanded, and from what I've seen that can be said about most people. Out of the 50 or so hunters that I've in camp shooting, less than 5 could hit a water bottle at 50yds and a milk jug at a 100yds freehanded on the first try. I think only 3 actually did and 2 of them could of done it at 200yds or more.

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It gives me confidence when I know my bullets will hit where I am aiming.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Groups just mean you missed the first time. . So you are looking at a one shot group,. Does that first shot hit where you aimed ? On a Farky class, it's different.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If all your shots hit a paper plate at the distance you want to hunt, then you're good to go.

Unless you're hunting chipmunks. Then you'll need a little more precision.

God Bless America
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, it also matters if you're hunting prairie-dog-sized elk.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Points probably been touched on in prior post.

Eliminate as much firearm and ammo error as possible.
Practice and build confidence.

Who doesn't like a tight shooting rifle they have confidence in no matter your range within your abilties.

Your abilities is key also.
Your mental game, shooting form, reading mother nature, and physical stress level all come into the your abilities factor

It's boils down to having confidence in a tight shooting rifle and practice under varying conditions to eliminate human error.

Say you jerk the trigger for whatever reason on a 1 moa rifle versus a 2 or 3 moa rifle, as distance increases the deviation from that not so perfect shot increases also.

Rather have a tight shooting rifle myself.
1 moa or better for scoped rifles
2 moa or better for iron sighted rifles

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I talked with Grits Gresham about rifles and shooting once. If I recall correctly his primary hunting rifle averaged about 2 moa.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A thread full of people who obviously weren't legislated to hunt with slugs for decades; try it and your appreciation for rifles, even "inaccurate" ones, might give one pause.

A goodly portion of you (not all) would be fugged...especially if tasked to hit something on the move.

I don't hunt prairie dogs and a 15lb. 6BR that shoots tacks at the range or prairie dogs at 500 yards is about the last thing I'd want here where I deer hunt in December, where the bucks are in the [bleep] or running in the same.

Most things are somewhere in the middle and in that middle, even accuracy wise, is plenty. Which is why 98% of us still don't own an EV and don't hunt big game with a smoothbore shotgun on purpose; but we'd figure out how to if forced to....and find out an extremely well grouping rifle isn't a necessity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've resided in deer slug country for most of my existence.

Legislation aside, would your choice for deer be a 7 1/2 lb 12 ga, or a 7 1/2lb .308? And yeah, we can adapt. Or buy Wisconsin tags.
I feel like I should own a chunk of Wisconsin...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I will submit the most important aspect of a hunting rifle is to provide consistent cold-bore shots with minimal and consistent point of impact deviation from point of aim. Wandering tight groups don't mean a thing. Ideally, a gun shoots tight and in the same place cold or warm, every single time.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
What do you think?

My point is the 308 doesnt need to put 75 rounds under an inch.

Middling will work fine; shooting something that you pray will hit inside a foot is just as extreme as saying those 75 rounds must be under an inch....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
most of the shooters at my club don't practice shooting from field positions. if you don't practice, you won't be able in the field. one of the most annoying things deer do for the 'shoot them in the head' crowd, is to move around as they feed. rarely have i come across one that is posing like getting a picture taken. heart lung is the shot to take. think pie plate. of course, in florida, a small pie plate. our deer are small.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, HawkI you’re right about the appreciation of rifles versus shotguns, in the matter of grouping/accuracy. I started deer hunting in New York about 25 years ago, and it was odd to have to use a slug gun, instead of my rifles, like here in PA. A while back they changed it to “all legal implements” I think was the terminology. Don’t think for a second that I opted to continue carrying my super heavy Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag after that!

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Theoldpinecricker: I not only prefer to Hunt and shoot more accurate Rifles - I demand it!
I would never intentionally continue to shoot an inaccurate - let alone take it Hunting.
YMMV?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
of course, in florida, a small pie plate. our deer are small.

Not all of ‘em. Friend of mine killed a buck near Tallahassee some years back. 10 points, 210# on the scales. Field dressed.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like how guys "need" a 1/2 MOA rifle ( 'Cause 1/2 MOA matters) so they can sight it in 3" high at 100 ('Cause 3" doesn't matter) just to go hunting at ranges at which such marvels as 'scopes and smokeless powder don't matter a whole lot.

There's old target shooter saying. Beginners talk about guns, more experienced shooters talk about ammo and the winners talk about wind. By the time accuracy matters a little, wind matters a lot.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have heard that the west fl deer run larger. good to hear.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
I like how guys "need" a 1/2 MOA rifle ( 'Cause 1/2 MOA matters) so they can sight it in 3" high at 100 ('Cause 3" doesn't matter) just to go hunting at ranges at which such marvels as 'scopes and smokeless powder don't matter a whole lot.

There's old target shooter saying. Beginners talk about guns, more experienced shooters talk about ammo and the winners talk about wind. By the time accuracy matters a little, wind matters a lot.

Well said.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Model70Guy

Thumbs up.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (44mc, 35, 21, 358wsm, 406_SBC, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,950
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.