Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Every single one of the thousands of religions that exist or have existed insisted - sometimes on pain of death - that it was the one and only true religion. Christians are no different. And are no more correct about it, either.
Rocky,
Do you believe in a creator? I can see in your posts that you don’t like religion, but religion can be a separate discussion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Western Christianity hasn't done the world many favors.
Watered down Christianity probably hasn’t but solid fundamentalist Christian beliefs are the building blocks of most of what’s shaped the Western world. Most of today’s problems are the product of a lack of Christian social norms not a product of them.

Put another way. As we’ve moved towards being a mostly secular society do you believe that American society has become increasingly better or worse off?

I guess I should have described it as fractured, fragmented and scattered western Christianity where any jackass with a bible under their arm can call themselves a "preacher" and that constantly has to reinvent itself to attract people hasn't done the world many favors.

Can't argue about the building blocks of society and the Bible talks about evil people becoming worse. The more secular we become, the less that evil is kept in check.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How much good was done with tightly structured and tightly controlled Christianity…?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Every single one of the thousands of religions that exist or have existed insisted - sometimes on pain of death - that it was the one and only true religion. Christians are no different. And are no more correct about it, either.
This

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by antlers
How much good was done with tightly structured and tightly controlled Christianity…?

No more or less than was done with loosely controlled Christianity. That’s simply a matter of studying history.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We should encourage disrespect for other religions because we haven't had enough wars.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Paul says to deal with those 'outside' with grace and compassion........

As Saul he tried to stop the church by jailing and killing members, with the approval and support of 'the temple'........ he did not do that to any after he became a part of the church........

It is not the 'job' of a Christian to change or stop others from anything..........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by antlers
No more or less than was done with loosely controlled Christianity. That’s simply a matter of studying history.
They're likely a great many millions that would disagree with you. Especially those who lived under the rigid control of a tightly structured and tightly controlled Christianity.

History shows that for a great many years…like for 1200 years…the church dominated almost every aspect of life where tightly structured and tightly controlled Christianity existed. Going to church then wasn’t voluntary (neither was tithing), people were forced to go to church (and forced to tithe), it was mandatory.

The church condoned feudalism...a kind of institutionalized slavery...where the subjugated peasantry did all of the hard labor. For this 90% of the population life was pretty miserable. Most kids died before adulthood, punishments for the poor were very harsh, people worked the land hoping only to survive another season...or another day. Life for the vast majority was a dreary existence.

The peasants were pretty much worked to death, and they dedicated generations of their resources…had them taken away from em’…to build huge awe inspiring cathedrals with stained glass, statues, pulpits, and guilted altarpieces...and the faithful masses paid the price for all of it. You can still see much of it to this day. Once a week these illiterate peasants would walk into these churches and be told what to believe. If they questioned any of it, or believed the wrong thing, they could be excommunicated (damned to hell) or even be executed.

Tightly structured and tightly controlled Christianity…? I’ll pass.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
RR: I see you live in Northern Utah. Are you Mormon? If not how did you end up there? My father worked for Thiokol and we lived up there in the Tremonton/Garland area for 5 years. Mormons weren't very appreciative of non-Mormons then (1960s). I notice SLC is being populated more and more by gentiles.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reivertom
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'd like to believe that all well behaved Hindu, Buddhist, Shintos, Christians, or whatever get a pass.
The Bible tells me different. The Lord can claim anybody he wants from anyplace, but the teachings he left Christians says Jesus Christ is the only way. Who do I believe...new age spiritualists, or God's own word? I choose the latter.
There are billions of Asians and pre-contact American and sub-Saharan African natives that never got to hear about Moses and Jesus or the God of Israel. Is your God so unjust that He consigns them to the fire? Maybe they are all being reincarnated and given a chance? Maybe their religion or innate morality was enough?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Camper doesn’t even go to church. He’s too fat to exit his trailer.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
No!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I can respect people/ religions.
Doesnt mean I trust em.

Most people suck, doesnt matter what flag they live under or if they worship or not.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/14/22.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Organized religion aint perfect, but overall a positive social effect.

Look at the non Christian......

Antifa, BLM and Disney

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am Catholic, so our faith is followed dilgently..
I have problems with evangelizing forcefully to those around us.
Most evangelizing sounds empty and egotistical to me.
I try to provide an example to others by my actions rather than debate,
I have read extensively about Muslim, Jewish Hinduism etc. , some of it is enlightening but doesn't offer the Peace of Christianity, imo.
There is far to much hatred and judgement around us these day. We are told not to judge others, so lead by example

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Its the old my god is better than your god exercise.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by comerade
I am Catholic, so our faith is followed dilgently..
There are gonna be some 'christians' here who don't think you belong in the same category as them.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to be difficult, but I definitely question the accuracy of your sweeping first statement. It is the basis of your post. Would you care to provide clear data proving what you have claimed?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Pretty much all religions have the same goal....control/conformity.

And pretty much all religions leverage fear of the unknown, to that end.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Should Christians respect other religions?

This isn't a question as to whether or not believers should have compassion on the lost. It's a question about the various religions that are contrary to the God of the Bible.

[video:youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/JNUNjFnaxg4[/video]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.