-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought something similar to Skane's picture off of Amazon - aluminum with a box of self starting sheet metal screws, and did my entire house for less than $300. Took me about 90 minutes to do with a drill and some tin snips.

Works great and I've watched it during hard rains to make sure it wasn't just pouring off and onto the ground. There is a little bit of that but not enough to worry. I really enjoy not cleaning that muck out of my gutters every year

My downspouts feed into pvc pipes that carry the water out well beyond the house into the yard next to a drain.

Last edited by KFWA; 05/13/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Boise
I went with the stainless steel screen mainly due to my issue with pine needles. They work great to keep out debris but I have an issue with the screens freezing over given the right weather condition. The company that made my guards was aware of the issue and make a broom that you drag across and clear the snow. The ice doesn't last long if exposed to sunlight. For how seldom my screens freeze over I don't see it as an issue. I didn't broom them a single time this season. I also installed mine myself and it was a very easy process once I got my tools all lined out.

The screen I added was taken out with a severe hail storm, it also took out my roof. The screen did not fail, there were not collapse, it was dented and my insurance company wanted to change it along with the roof. I insisted on stainless mess replacement.

"The ice doesn't last long if exposed to sunlight." Do you have any north-facing roof?

Northwest facing roof and that's the one with the icing problem. Once I clear the snow off, the gutters will clear enough for runoff from the roof. And of course, it stays all froze up until a thaw. Clearing off the snow allow the gutter ice to thaw first.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I went with the stainless steel screen mainly due to my issue with pine needles. They work great to keep out debris but I have an issue with the screens freezing over given the right weather condition. The company that made my guards was aware of the issue and make a broom that you drag across and clear the snow. The ice doesn't last long if exposed to sunlight. For how seldom my screens freeze over I don't see it as an issue. I didn't broom them a single time this season. I also installed mine myself and it was a very easy process once I got my tools all lined out.

The screen I added was taken out with a severe hail storm, it also took out my roof. The screen did not fail, there were not collapse, it was dented and my insurance company wanted to change it along with the roof. I insisted on stainless mess replacement.

"The ice doesn't last long if exposed to sunlight." Do you have any north-facing roof?

Northwest facing roof and that's the one with the icing problem. Once I clear the snow off, the gutters will clear enough for runoff from the roof. And of course, it stays all froze up until a thaw. Clearing off the snow allow the gutter ice to thaw first.
Heat strips are your friend. Dad lives in the timber and uses them in valleys, gutters and down spouts.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
check costco.com they sell a nice one

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Look at Champion Gutter Guards. It is a slotted aluminum piece with a stainless micro screen on top.
We’ve done a few hundred houses with it and haven’t had any issues.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm going to try gutter brushes. WE had a neighbor with a huge ginkgo tree with the worst leaves a tree ever had. I will find out how we the gutter brushes work very quickly. The leaves a flat, floppy, and fan shaped, and form solid mats that never go anyplace once they fall.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
We have the Gutter Helmet.Works great on pine needles and the buds

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.