Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Not a box car but a shipping container?

They are okay.

Ugliest damn thing ever though.

The ones with the steel floors make for a quick setup portable weld shop.
Used them for that purpose many times.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by JeffA
This would be a smarter idea.
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
I really like that 2nd pic.
What is needed foundation wise for containers?

The Four corners are all that is required.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Lived in one in Iraq for 6 months. Had heat/AC and a regular front door. Beats a tent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
We bought a really clean and nice 20'er with doors on both ends. W/o the double doors there's no air movement inside and it's hot and muggy to be inside. They have waterproof air vents so I'm not sure why guys are mentioning running out of air if locked inside.

All containers are not created equal.
Never had one that came with a vent.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They're designed to haul cargo and some cargo needs venting.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Might get a 10footer and bank it into the bluff beaide the house this summer to make a root cellar.

I know of a dealer lot in Alabama. Looked at them just last week.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PROS:

I dunno if there is a specific 'railroad' container but with standard shipping containers there is no way to escape from one if locked inside.
There is a good bit of breathable air in one so a person has plenty of time to think about why they have been locked inside.

If left out in the direct summer sun they get hot inside quickly.
The heat can become so extreme it could shorten the life expectancy of the one locked inside.

Calculations for a 40ft container are as follows.

The limiting factor in the container would be CO2, or water. Not oxygen, and likely not food.

As the CO2 concentration reaches 8%, the person will die.
Despite around 13% oxygen left.

Avg person breathes 10 liters (0.353 cuft) of air per minute and exhales 4% CO2 (0.0141 cuft/min).

This gives,

Air volume : 2720 cuft

Lethal CO2 volume: 217.6 cuft

Time to reach limit CO2 concentration 15400 minutes or ~10 days.

To generalise, every cubic foot gives approx 5.5 minutes of time per person. You may get unconscious sooner though.

Also, in 10 days, CO2 may be limiting only if you are in a cool, humid container. Else you’d die of dehydration much sooner.

Direct burial of a shipping container could possibly create these cool, humid conditions for prolonged life and dampen any unwanted noise transfer from inside to the exterior of the container.

CONS:

Nothing really..

I keep my SXS parked in the yard and use it daily.
It's no worse for wear..

If you're SXS is some sorta show piece that must be kept inside you might need a second shipping container.

Its a container, not a flipping submarine. Never seen one that is air-tight. May as well do those calculations for the average camper with the windows closed and you'll have the same result. Yes, they do get hell-hot inside in the summer, especially in a non-shaded area, but are pretty secure. Guys at our camp use them, and modify them by cutting air vent or louvres down low with temp controlled extractor fans up high to help manage temps. SXS's stored in them will have shortened battery life due to constant heat exposure, one of the few downside. The other is humidity control in hot, humid climes like the South, but good ventilation does help.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've been watching this channel on the tube for 3 years. It's a money maker.

BUT this was to live in. They do show how they handled the rust and other issues.

They added a roof with air space and spray in insulation.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-l69It3hxAY3tkBH_utLNQ/videos

Last edited by richj; 05/20/22.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Raeford
This would be a smarter idea.
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
I really like that 2nd pic.
What is needed foundation wise for containers?

The Four corners are all that is required.

Too many slithering critters in my neck of the woods, would definitely need full underpinning.
I guess a footer w/block maybe.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was drilling, we had a 20 footer for a portable shop. It had swing out hydraulic cylinders on the corners and would lift the can about six feet off the ground where you could self load and unload on a truck or trailer. If you loaded it on the back of a Morooka, you could put a shop about anywhere.

Our front wall was hydraulic fittings, the left wall coming in was a big gas powered welder then shelving with filters and odds and ends. The right side was a big steel workbench with vice, a hydraulic hose crimper then more shelving for parts and safety items.

It was nice to fire up the welder and have lights when working nights.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve got a 53’ container full of stuff. Best storage shed ever ! I put pallet racking down 3/4 of one side for shelving to hold all kinds of smaller pieces. They last basically forever if you fix any rust. They lock as securely as any shed could. The sealed no air supply is ridiculous BS as they have ventilation at the top front side corners. You can spray foam insulate them for climate control and put a roof over to cut the heat. Buy the steel ones for best security. The aluminum ones can be cut open like butter. I had to pay $2150 for one and $350 delivery because there’s a shortage but as the recession hits and there are stacks of them idle the price should come back down to around $1500 for a decent container. Remember that the shipping companies are paying a pretty penny to store unused containers. Delivery will be stupid high due to the current green raw deal. FJB !

Last edited by Daveinjax; 05/20/22.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Cutting in a door on the side, increases the usefulness if using for storage. Eliminate the need for hallway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always wondered about condensation in one of these. Seems like the ones we used for storage on some of our job sites would sweat a lot during cold weather if we didn't leave the doors open to air them out occasionally...

I've seen a couple outfits that sell these in all kind of configurations with man doors, windows, and roll up overhead doors in the sides of them for storage uses. Seems like it would make them a lot more useful...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
PROS:

I dunno if there is a specific 'railroad' container but with standard shipping containers there is no way to escape from one if locked inside.
There is a good bit of breathable air in one so a person has plenty of time to think about why they have been locked inside.

The heat can become so extreme it could shorten the life expectancy of the one locked inside.

The limiting factor in the container would be CO2, or water. Not oxygen, and likely not food.

Avg person breathes 10 liters (0.353 cuft) of air per minute and exhales 4% CO2 (0.0141 cuft/min).

This gives,

To generalise, every cubic foot gives approx 5.5 minutes of time per person. You may get unconscious sooner though.

Also, in 10 days, CO2 may be limiting only if you are in a cool, humid container. Else you’d die of dehydration much sooner.

Direct burial of a shipping container could possibly create these cool, humid conditions for prolonged life and dampen any unwanted noise transfer from inside to the exterior of the container.

CONS:

Nothing really..

It's no worse for wear..

If you're SXS is some sorta show piece that must be kept inside you might need a second shipping container.

lololololol

Congratulations on understanding the post...
Went right over the heads of more than a few...

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
There is a guy down the road from me that built a barn out of two 40 foot containers. It looks very similar to this one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
PROS:

This gives,

CONS:

Nothing really..

It's no worse for wear..

We have 3 on the property. 2 at 40', 1 at 20' feet to store my excess and miscellanious. I have loaded 100s with food products for shipment.

I have yet to see one without ventilation in the top corners.

But still, I would not wish to be locked in one. Probably would hit 120 degrees in the summer sun.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i worked on the design for several years and then a longtime friend/Campfire guy took on the job of building my big garage based on two 40 foot containers. The enclosed space is 60 wide by 50 long and all but one of the trusses (an end wall) sit on top of the two parallel containers - all on a 6" slab done by another Campfire friend.

Those strong steel boxes provide a secure shop area on one side and secure storage on the other side. Stout, tight and fireproof - all metal construction. Took advantage of the opportunity and extended the roof line another 30 ft. on the outside, yielding a covered canopy 50 wide and 30 long at one end. Two 12x12 doors at one end and a 16x12 door centered on the canopy end.

Six vehicles easily, a four post lift and generous operating space - and an enclose 40x8 shop on one side and same for storage on the other. 120/240v power, compressed air along one side and outside under the canopy, plus other helpful goodies. i do like it.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Containers are intended to be loaded at the factory and unloaded at some warehouse on the other end. As far as I know, the same containers will fit on a ship, rail flat car or truck chassis. They don't unload them off a ship, then swing the cargo to a rail container. It moves straight from Shanghai to Omaha without ever being opened.

As far as getting locked in, any freight trailer is the same way, you can't open it from inside. That's why they sometimes find trailers full of dead Mexicans that some coyote abandoned when things got too hot. How many of the cargo trailer that guys buy to convert to camp trailers can be opened from the inside before the doors are converted? Some can but most can't.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
We have 3 on the property. 2 at 40', 1 at 20' feet to store my excess and miscellanious. I have loaded 100s with food products for shipment.

I have yet to see one without ventilation in the top corners.

But still, I would not wish to be locked in one. Probably would hit 120 degrees in the summer sun.

I prefer to buy used refrigerator containers, they have zero vents, steel floors and come insulated with closed cell foam between the steel inner and outer walls, floor and ceiling.

To each his own..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC,

Crossfireops had a setup with containers.

2 containers with a open area covered with rafters.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (338rcm, 204guy, 16penny, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 2ndwind, 22 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,622
Posts18,474,036
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.