Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My pet pee that's having to fill out the paperwork via computer. I want old fashioned pen and paper. I myself am much more likely to make an error and not catch it via computer then it causes issues then I get all pissy I just don't need it LOL

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ldholton
My pet pee that's having to fill out the paperwork via computer. I want old fashioned pen and paper. I myself am much more likely to make an error and not catch it via computer then it causes issues then I get all pissy I just don't need it LOL

I'm just the opposite greatly preferring the computer.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its a store policy, I have worked for two gun stores that take a copy and two that do not. Scheels, takes the photo copy but then once its verified and in the log book, the copy gets shredded. (Not thrown away, shredded!) Thats to double check the information and make sure the information is as correct as they can make it. For every error an ffl has, you receive a ding or a chit during an audit. Enough errors and they can fine you, suspend your ffl or revoke it. When I ran one gun department it was 1.2 to 1.4 million dollars a year in all gun sales. When I was the Shotgun manager for Scheels I did twice that, just in shotguns. That doesn't account for rifles and handguns. So you can see that chits can add up awfully quick, so bigger companies often go above the norm to reduce issues. But, I agree the sales staff need to know what they are talking about before being so adamant to the customer. The job is not just selling the gun, but knowing the process from beginning to end.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Another vote for not letting anyone copy my DL or SS card.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by EdM

They should just have both a person can choose got no problem with that.
I was once told they have to provide paper if you request it I've tried that before and it didn't go well

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
AFIK it’s store policy, maybe a way to prevent transcribing errors. Don’t care myself, and I never give them my SSN. My son’s license doesn’t have a street address, so he uses other allowable government-issued ID, a fishing license, along with something else. Just bought a Glock, so it works.

Some stores here skip the background check as allowed by law for CCW holders, some don’t, but that’s their choice as well. I’m free to go elsewhere if I don’t like it.

OK started by dismissing the background check for SDA (Okie for CHL) holders. A year or so later, they went back to background checks for everybody.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
You should have walked. I raise holy hell when somebody wants to see my driver's license or my Social Security card/number. So far, my tantrum's have yielded a work-around in every case. Am I an Official Curmudgeon with that attitude??

Well, considering that:
You are required by law to provide proof of identity and
The FFL is required by law to record the type and number from your ID, I'd say yes.

Last edited by natman; 05/24/22.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Goodness, please, please, you are literally at a computer. Look up the Federal and State laws. When your box store (not sure why you are buying there anyway) or podunk tough nut low IQ gunshop require more than that.......leave. It's not that hard.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Holy crap, I hate doing the 4473 on their computer. It takes FOR-FUCGING-EVER. I bought a gun I ordered at Rural King a few months ago, and I like to have never got out of there. Type it all in, then the dude at the counter copies it all down... by hand... and then does something else, and something else... Sumbitch. Had a similar experience several years ago with the only gun I ever bought at Gander Mountain.... I swear, it took at least a half hour.

I can fill out the ordinary paper form in about 38 seconds, and bam, it's done.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
Originally Posted by Pappy348
AFIK it’s store policy, maybe a way to prevent transcribing errors. Don’t care myself, and I never give them my SSN. My son’s license doesn’t have a street address, so he uses other allowable government-issued ID, a fishing license, along with something else. Just bought a Glock, so it works.

Some stores here skip the background check as allowed by law for CCW holders, some don’t, but that’s their choice as well. I’m free to go elsewhere if I don’t like it.

OK started by dismissing the background check for SDA (Okie for CHL) holders. A year or so later, they went back to background checks for everybody.

I don’t expect that will happen here, WV is pretty gun-friendly, with Constitutional Carry, Stand Your Ground, and Castle Doctrine. We have a lot of thieves and druggies in some areas, but not much violent crime, gang stuff etc. We got Constitutional Carry by an override of the Dem Governor’s veto.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Sold an upper (just an upper) to a younger guy a few years back... he wanted camera pics of my DL, CCW et al.

His wife was there.

I said "Sure... can I get pictures of yours as well... So I can come by later and rob you both?"

--------------------------------------

All worked out in the end... his wife got the memo immediately and chewed his ass hard as I drove away.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Still
Originally Posted by EdM

They should just have both a person can choose got no problem with that.
I was once told they have to provide paper if you request it I've tried that before and it didn't go well

Still use paper here.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
AS A LICENSE FFL HOLDER , i am not require to keep a copy of the driver`s license but you do have to fill it out on the form they want or need that or some other form but the driver`s license is the easiest to use and its no big deal either. so what

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 78CJ
Goodness, please, please, you are literally at a computer. Look up the Federal and State laws. When your box store (not sure why you are buying there anyway) or podunk tough nut low IQ gunshop require more than that.......leave. It's not that hard.

Pretty much it and Big R store, 120 miles either way to get to another. This store had a retired Hwy Patrolman working for them until last week. Got a better job somewhere else. He is a friend and a wealth of knowledge. He was the reason 80-90% of the people went in there. It was awful quiet today.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Yep you have to and it rankles me every time so when they want more than is required by this stupid law it rankles more.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 78CJ

You must be used to looking through government regs.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We don’t scan or keep the front of any drivers license. We do scan the back. We use an electronic bound book and it mirrors our POS system. At the time of checkout, we scan the model number on the gun, the serial number on the gun and then it prompts for drivers license. We scan the back and that specific firearm is disposed correctly in the customers name. No mistakes that way….and that’s a huge ordeal when selling high volumes of firearms. Everything matches on the paper form (we physically check it against the drivers license before checking out) and in the bound book.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
When did the ATF start requiring gun stores to keep copies of Driver License of buyers? Does anyone know where in the regulations it states this so I can look it up? I know the store would check the driver's license when filling out the yellow form, but taking copies of the drivers license must be fairly new. They also made a copy of my CCW.
No ATF requirement.... Some store policies may do that, but it's not law...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
We don’t scan or keep the front of any drivers license. We do scan the back. We use an electronic bound book and it mirrors our POS system. At the time of checkout, we scan the model number on the gun, the serial number on the gun and then it prompts for drivers license. We scan the back and that specific firearm is disposed correctly in the customers name. No mistakes that way….and that’s a huge ordeal when selling high volumes of firearms. Everything matches on the paper form (we physically check it against the drivers license before checking out) and in the bound book.

Where does that info go/get stored?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.