Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We used to list some shooting drills for people to try and then discuss here. I think we might all benefit from getting out and shooting a bit--this forum used to be mostly cordial, with members staying focused on the issues. Maybe some shooting would get us back on track. So...I propose that, during the month of June, we give the following drill a go:

TARGET: The tried and true B-8 (buy it or download it here: https://targets4free.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/NRA-B-8-Target-Adapted-by-Targets4Free.pdf) (Remember, don't shrink it to fit your paper. The 8-ring is supposed to be 8" in diameter.)

DISTANCE: 7 yds or 5 yds or 3 yds, your choice.

PREPARATION: Holstered carry pistol loaded with 1 round in the chamber and an empty magazine in the mag well. A spare magazine in a mag pouch also loaded with 1 round.

COURSE OF FIRE: Select a distance for the target. From concealment, at the beep, draw and fire one round; eject the empty magazine, reload, and fire one round. BOTH rounds must be in the black (the 9-ring) to pass. Par time is 5.0 seconds.

VARIATIONS: If you don't own a shot timer, aren't allowed to draw from a holster at your range, don't own two magazines, or whatever--IT DOES NOT MATTER. Just get out and shoot! Take pics, post them here, and say what you did. Just go shoot. (Ideally, post what gun/ammo you used, the distance, whether you shot from concealment/open/low ready, and your time.)

OPTIONAL: You don't have to, but maybe we could be polite here. Ask questions. Offer constructive criticism. Most of us suck with a handgun when it comes down to it--no need to point it out. Let's see what we can do to shoot better and help others to shoot better.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
GB1

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I gave it a go this morning. I had a great run (for me) at 15' right away, but it took about 5 attempts at 21' to get under 5 seconds. As you can see from the target, there are extra bullet holes from previous attempts. I'll include a pic of me waiting for the beep. It also shows my cover garment.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As you can see from my splits, you don't have to be lightning fast to make the par time of 5.0 seconds. I struggle with my draw speed; I try to go fast and end up all barfed up. My goal was to keep the draw under 2 seconds and the reload under 3 seconds. For those who care, my optic is a Leupold DPP.

This target at 21' shows 3 attempts before I made the time standard. In addition to these attempts, there were a couple where I didn't even fire a round, because I knew that my draw was way too slow, so I just reholstered and started over.

Wade

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The great part about that drill is that a fellow gets to understand just how little time 5 seconds really is. Imho of course.

I'm gonna give it a shot next week just to see.

Last edited by dla; 05/28/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
it's much slower, but you can do the same drill with your revolver. We used to practice that a lot in order to develop some speed on those 6 gun reloads.

Sam......

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Question?? How much quicker would you be with out the flash lite and optic?? Rio7

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Nice shooting Waders.

What kinda holster are you using?

If anybody is lacking a printer or B-8 the 9 ring is about 5.5". You can use that to hang impromptu targets.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

If anybody is lacking a printer or B-8 the 9 ring is about 5.5".

Good point about making your own targets.

My holster is a paddle holster from G-Code Tactical Holsters. (https://www.tacticalholsters.com/category/osl-holster/-1015). I carry this setup through the courthouse parking lot to and from work each day. It rides under a suit jacket. Much of the year it's fairly dark when I am walking to/from my vehicle, hence the light. People get quite upset at some decisions that I make, and I fully believe that they are capable of attempting something stupid as a way of expressing their anger.

Wade

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7
Question?? How much quicker would you be with out the flash lite and optic?? Rio7

It's a fair question. I have fiddled around with various "draw and fire" drills using a variety of pistols, and while I haven't observed any obvious differences after adding a light, neither have I taken the time to carefully compare the various speeds I get using different guns. I will give it a try. (The dot has been slightly faster for me, especially as distance increases).

I have a Glock 45 9mm that I bought on an impulse. The only mod I've made is adding an extended slide lock lever. (My plan is to shoot it a bit, and if I like it, send it out to be milled for a red dot.) I'll try this drill with the Glock and see how the times compare. With my poor near vision, I may struggle some to get iron sights to line up, but we'll see. I'll give it a shot (so to speak). In fact, I'll have some free time this afternoon before I go to the movies with Mrs. Waders, so I might get it done and have some pics posted by tonight.

Wade

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
The great part about that drill is that a fellow gets to understand just how little time 5 seconds really is.

Agreed. For us mere mortals, 5 seconds goes by in about 3 seconds! smile I'm sure that Bluedreaux and RyanTX will finish with time to spare, but I was at full-tilt boogy in order stay under 5.0.

Obviously, it would help if I were get my first shot down to 1.6 or 1.5, but from concealment, that kind of speed will only come from months and months of drawing practice in the living room. I think saving time on my reload is where I could really improve--try to get it to 2 seconds (mine were 2.74 and 2.72 yesterday). But, again, that's some dedicated practice--I'm not sure that I'm committed to getting better. We'll see...

Wade

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Waders

If anybody is lacking a printer or B-8 the 9 ring is about 5.5".

Good point about making your own targets.

My holster is a paddle holster from G-Code Tactical Holsters. (https://www.tacticalholsters.com/category/osl-holster/-1015). I carry this setup through the courthouse parking lot to and from work each day. It rides under a suit jacket. Much of the year it's fairly dark when I am walking to/from my vehicle, hence the light. People get quite upset at some decisions that I make, and I fully believe that they are capable of attempting something stupid as a way of expressing their anger.

In my experience guys can/do slow down with lights and optic but only if they stay with their traditional type draw.

If you're stuck in forward cant mode and raise your front sight to eye level in an arc, lights and optics cause problems. But if a guy uses a proper draw that comes straight up n out, there is no change in the time it takes to put first round on target.

If anything, they get faster.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was doing a drill just to get under a one second draw to first shot on an A zone at 3 yards. With irons on a G19 I broke it but never could with my G45 MOS with 507c. That was possibly more the 45 vs 19 grip I’m hoping.

I’ve got a Dagger coming with a 507c on it and I’m gonna work on this drill with both. I know a red dot is more accurate, allows target focus and is faster in a full stage. I think I was putting too much emphasis on the first shot and denying the benefits of a red dot.

I also bought a G19 MOS last week, just deciding on which dot to go with but I am committed to learning the dot.

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I went to the range. I shot both the G45 and the Sig P320.

At 15' I shot the two guns about the same. I shot the drill until I cleaned it 3 times with each gun, then I averaged the 3 fastest times for each gun. I averaged 4.58 sec. with the G45, and with the P320 I averaged 4.55 sec. Here's the first target with the G45:

'Flave is right as to why they work out the same at close range. With the Glock, I was picking up the front sight early, and that gave me time to shoot with a less than perfect sight alignment. With the red dot, there really isn't a way to shoot with imperfect sight alignment--either you see a dot or you don't. Hence my accuracy was better with my red dot, but I am still working out seeing the dot quickly off the draw. Here are three runs with the red dot at 15 feet:

At 21 feet, I was better with the red dot. I tried the drill 6 times and cleaned it 3 times (in the three no-go's, I had misses). My average time was 4.45 seconds. With the G45 I tried the 4 times and only shot clean on the last attempt. It's not really enough data to draw any conclusions, but again my accuracy overall was better with the red dot. (I didn't get any pics of the 21' targets).

Wade

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
With the red dot, there really isn't a way to shoot with imperfect sight alignment--either you see a dot or you don't. Hence my accuracy was better with my red dot, but I am still working out seeing the dot quickly off the draw.

I know what you mean about picking up the dot. The Burris Fast-Fire II/III was the first red dot I used on pistols and those will definitely slow you down while picking up the dot. To help with that, I switched to the Primary Arms 507C with the ACSS reticle and that really helps when trying to acquire the dot(wedge), especially at odd angles.

Here's a link to what I'm using on my Glock 19 MOS: Primary Arms 507C with ACSS Vulcan reticle

Crappy pic but you'll get the idea of how it helps not having to fish around trying to pick up your sight. Standing at the range with good form, this isn't really an issue but in real world use, this could very well be a life-saver!! There are some good videos at the link above and I encourage everyone to watch and try one of these optics on your pistol.
[Linked Image]

This shows how, with proper alignment, you only see the wedge and the 250 MOA circle will be hidden from view. It only shows up when you're not aligned correctly....
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I shot this today.

IWB Black Kydex. Slightly behind the 3 o'clock. Single mag at the nine o'clock.

Polo shirt covering both. Glock 17 from the five yard line:

Average for five attempts was 4.49

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My most dreaded drill right now is the devil drill. 6 rounds on a B8 at 6 yards in 6 seconds. Oh and there's a mandatory slide lock reload somewhere in there that your partner set's up by loading your mag.

No I haven't beat it yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Posting from Imgur on my phone is a pain so I didn’t take pics.

From 5 yards my times ranged from 3.55 to 4.28. My average for 15 runs was 3.93.

At 7 yards my times ranged from 3.61 to 4.19. My average for 8 runs was 3.94.

M&P 2.0Compact with a DPP from a Harry’s holster at 1 o’clock. The reload was a full size mag with the lip sticking out of my front pocket. I don’t have a concealment msg pouch with me.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I did a couple of practice runs today on two 6" plates with my XD45.2 Subcompact using two flush fit 9 round mags (2 finger death grip) and 230 grain reloads. I normally carry it in an Azula high rise under a tail-out T shirt, so that's how I shot it.

I discovered the arthritis in an old left hand injury is worse than I thought, and so were my times. I arranged my spare mag in the same manner as Blue and frankly, I fumbled it a couple of times. When I didn't, I ran 4.70-4.89 with hits near the center of each plate. This was at seven yards.

The purpose of these drills is to learn things and my case, I'm going to have to adapt to compensate for some dexterity I've lost. I'll shoot this again later with a full-size mag for the reload.

Does anybody know of a better Android shot timer than Splits? I had to run an earplug loose to hear the damn thing and now have an ear ringing pretty good.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
From 5 yards . . . average for 15 runs was 3.93.

At 7 yards . . . average for 8 runs was 3.94.

That's good shooting! Couple questions:

- Did you even have any runs that were no-go's (missed shots or over time)?
- What is your typical/average draw time?

Thanks.

Wade

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Glock 17 from the five yard line:

Svelte! Good work!

Sorry if I missed it elsewhere, but what are you running for sights/optic?

EDIT: I see from another post that you run irons on the G17.

Last edited by Waders; 05/31/22.

Wade

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Glock 17 from the five yard line:

Svelte! Good work!

Sorry if I missed it elsewhere, but what are you running for sights/optic?

EDIT: I see from another post that you run irons on the G17.

My G34 wears a Trijicon SRO and the 5 MOA dot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 270cowboy, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,543
Posts18,472,903
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.