R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by rickt300
Body armor at 600 meters? Seems like a made up requirement to force the weapon system upon us. Which in reality is like stepping back to the M14 in a shorter louder platform (without the suppressor). I would like to witness some full auto fire to see how controllable the new weapon is. Personally I think this is a fool thing to do, going to a high pressure non NATO round, dumping the intermediate rounds benefits for what exactly? 600 meter body armor penetration?

Full auto in the first few seconds here

(waits for someone to talk crap about GT without knowing his background)

That looks pretty easy to control and hits up close shouldn't be an issue. That ain't your dads M14 for sure.

Had he served - my dad would have been M16.... lol

My dad went from the M14 to the M16. I remember him taking me to the range when I was 10 or so and we shot the new wonder round sometime in the mid 60's. We also took one to a dock near the end of one of the runways of either Kadena or Naha AFB and shot at sharks that came to the surface after he tossed WWII era grenades into the water. I was sure you were older than I am.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see there are 2 reasons why the 6.8 is going to replace any current military round:
1. to penetrate bullet proof vests
2. in a few years all of the rounds that America left behind in Iraq and Afghanistan will be used up. The bad guys will not be able to use our "new" ammo because it won't fit any legacy rifle chambers.

I see the American military getting away from 9mm for the same reason some day in the future.

It will take years before the Army and Marines get the old rifles and ammo out of the system. We still had a first generation night scope in our Arms room when I retired in 2005. We no longer had M14's to put it on but it was on the property reports.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Body armor at 600 meters? Seems like a made up requirement to force the weapon system upon us. Which in reality is like stepping back to the M14 in a shorter louder platform (without the suppressor). I would like to witness some full auto fire to see how controllable the new weapon is. Personally I think this is a fool thing to do, going to a high pressure non NATO round, dumping the intermediate rounds benefits for what exactly? 600 meter body armor penetration?

Full auto in the first few seconds here

(waits for someone to talk crap about GT without knowing his background)

That looks pretty easy to control and hits up close shouldn't be an issue. That ain't your dads M14 for sure.

Had he served - my dad would have been M16.... lol

My dad went from the M14 to the M16. I remember him taking me to the range when I was 10 or so and we shot the new wonder round sometime in the mid 60's. We also took one to a dock near the end of one of the runways of either Kadena or Naha AFB and shot at sharks that came to the surface after he tossed WWII era grenades into the water. I was sure you were older than I am.

Nope - my dad, had he enlisted would have been late 70's. Not even Vietnam, his older brother - maybe. We have a "tradition" of having kids young tho. Something my son has managed to break so far.

Me

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Rooster,” People do not understand how much our ammo marketplace is dependent upon milsurp brass .... andnhow badly it has already hurt us that so much is already being demilled by liberal post commanders.“

We haven’t found any LC brass since Olin took over LC in 2020.Mine was coming from Campbell and Crane. Not anymore. Are we out of the loop.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The 6.8 x 51mm requires a.308 size AR platform. Why didn't they go with something like a 6mm ARC using Sig's stainless steel case head design (2-part case with stainless case head)? That would give you +3000fps with a 105-108 grain high VLD bullet, +2000 fps at 600 yards and a thousand ft-lbs of energy at the same distance. That would be more than 2x the energy of a 75 grain .223 bullet and only 250 ft-lbs less energy than the 6.8 Sig Fury but in a .223 size AR platform and with much lighter ammo. With the Sig Fury, troops will have to carry a very large rifle and heavy ammo for excess killing capability at 600 yards. Don't like the trade-off. Concede the 5.556 NATO is underpowered, but a 6mm ARC with Sig's stainless steel case head and +3000 fps shooting a 105 grain bullet would have been a nice compromise between weight and long-range performance.

My .02 worth.

Tarquin
IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,384
Posts18,488,634
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.