-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope, and had no aspirations for it after that. Rather embarrassing event. I believe I learned more building stuff than I would have in LE

Romans 5:1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Close. Underage drinking in CA a very few days after my return from RVN. Rather than book me, they called the Top who came and got me. Confined to the barracks over the weekend, the to the CO on Monday. Company punishment (with my consent) was an immediate return to The Land of All Bad Things.
RB

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I have, street racing and dui, 71mph over the speed limit in biloxi, around 1983.

Plus a couple more times.

101 mph in a 30mph ?
LOL

I think it was 35/40mph zone, it was on Hwy.90 beach-front, 106 111? For some reason I remember the 71mph over.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago I got a speeding ticket. While was sitting in the court waiting my turn they brought in a kid on 2 counts of failure to appear for traffic violations. When the judge asked why he didn’t appear the idiot said he didn’t have any money to pay the fines so he didn’t bother. Wrong thing to say. The judge blew up and gave him 90 days.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In 1959 as soon as I finished AF Basic Training and my technical school, I got stationed at Biggs AFB in El Paso TX. Soon after arriving , some of the more experienced troops decided to take 4 of us rookies over the bridge and get us "broke in" so to speak. All 4 of us only 18 years old and green as gourds. Anyway, we got to having too much fun in a cantina and wound up spending two days and nights as the guest of the mayor of Juarez Mexico. A real adventure, that was!! First Sergeant came over and bailed us out and got us back to the base where we had to face the Squadron Commander the next day. We could have been in severe trouble, but he figured we had been punished plenty already, let us off with one month of extra duty and pay back the First Sergeant. Had to go to the Credit Union and borrow the money, took six months to get it paid back.

Should have been in jail probably 1,000 times or so for DUI before I quit drinking but never did, don't know why not except for maybe someone watching over me.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never was arrested and thrown in jail..... but I did ask to spend the night in jail and they let me.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Never was arrested and thrown in jail..... but I did ask to spend the night in jail and they let me.

laugh

I had a good friend, who's dad was a deputy sheriff and the jailer for the county. They lived in the courthouse, as was often done back then.

We'd have sleep overs and stuff. One night we bugged his dad to let us sleep in the jail, as there were no prisoners in it...

He fulfilled our request. And locked the door. shocked

No snacks. Nothing but water out of the faucet.

When he let us out the next morning, it sure made an impression on me.

We didn't bug him to sleep in the jail after that. Once was enough.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Now that my LE career is completely behind me I can say this w/o repercussions from the administrators who did not seem to understand the difference that sometimes you need to see the grey in the "black and white" of the law.

There were more than a few times I saw situations where it appeared that something got spun out of control and a good person who normally would never have any contact with LE outside of speeding or some trivial nonsense had things snowball and ended up getting charged with whatever. These were not bad people. It was just a cascading series of events due to relationships or dumb things. What they were NOT was the 5% of society that takes up 95% of law enforcements time (normally)

Anyways, I have on more than a few occasions violated all manner of policies. Not handcuffing certain people until I got right to the jail. These people were zero threat and did not need a 30 mile ride in cuffs, but had to be walked in in cuffs, so I would pull over a block before the jail and slip them into the cuffs. Then take them straight into an area to get bonded out and skipping all the steps in between, and even calling a local public defender (guys and gals I had a good working relationship with)for them so they didn't say or do something even more damaging to their situation. A little "off the books" advice on how both sides work, so they could make smart choices.

Basically walking them through a system so they would not get eaten alive. Plus they had no business being in a holding cell with a bunch of thugs anyways.
n
The world is not black and white and a 45 year old guy/gal or 65 year old grandmother who has no criminal record should not be treated like a 30 year old with 15 prior arrests in the last 5 years.

Sounds like you were one of the good guy's. Enjoy retirement !
Plus 1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Does playing Monopoly count? smile

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve been there a few times but it’s been 20 years plus. My last time there I was 24. Most of my trips to the county were over getting into fights or otherwise drug related in one way or another. All but once It was just a few hours or a night in the holding cell. I spent a few weeks in general and figured out that I needed to make some changes.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Now that my LE career is completely behind me I can say this w/o repercussions from the administrators who did not seem to understand the difference that sometimes you need to see the grey in the "black and white" of the law.

There were more than a few times I saw situations where it appeared that something got spun out of control and a good person who normally would never have any contact with LE outside of speeding or some trivial nonsense had things snowball and ended up getting charged with whatever. These were not bad people. It was just a cascading series of events due to relationships or dumb things. What they were NOT was the 5% of society that takes up 95% of law enforcements time (normally)

Anyways, I have on more than a few occasions violated all manner of policies. Not handcuffing certain people until I got right to the jail. These people were zero threat and did not need a 30 mile ride in cuffs, but had to be walked in in cuffs, so I would pull over a block before the jail and slip them into the cuffs. Then take them straight into an area to get bonded out and skipping all the steps in between, and even calling a local public defender (guys and gals I had a good working relationship with)for them so they didn't say or do something even more damaging to their situation. A little "off the books" advice on how both sides work, so they could make smart choices.

Basically walking them through a system so they would not get eaten alive. Plus they had no business being in a holding cell with a bunch of thugs anyways.

The world is not black and white and a 45 year old guy/gal or 65 year old grandmother who has no criminal record should not be treated like a 30 year old with 15 prior arrests in the last 5 years.

Thank you MS for stepping up.

I'm "older" but just last year went to Police Academy and POST qualified (Got the class guidon too), and appreciate the long-timers in the world I have entered. Lots of wisdom there.

All have contributions, though.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
The food is better in a prison than a jail.

Not in Va.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Prior to my time at a fire station I worked, the crew went to look at the new police station under construction. They kind of wandered around and found the cell, one guy stepped in and another closed it. Lo and behold, the vendor installing the cell door left for the day. With the key. It took a little over an hour to get him back to release the prisoner.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Nope, but I put few in jail

Like sagebrush says….a guy has to use discretion once in awhile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Worked in the prison but probably should have been a guest more than once when younger.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
DUI when I was 18, 1978. 1 nighter. A buddies older brother was in that night, too. Small world. 2nd time at a Pink Floyd concert, busted for possession when I was in my mid 20's. Paid the fine at the station and on my way in 2 hrs. Missed the 2nd half of the show.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
No.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been taken there once, was a juvenile, around 1970, didn't have to spend the night as my dad came and got me. Small town and he knew the whole police force of 2 cops. Never went again but close a couple of times.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by viking
Nope, but I put few in jail

Like sagebrush says….a guy has to use discretion once in awhile.

I agree with both of you. I had complete discretion on any misdemeanor other than assault on a family member. Based on Dept policy, that required a physical arrest. My point is, I believed in the idea that just because you can do something, doesn’t mean that you should do something. I cut a lot of people a lot of slack because I believed they deserved it. Those that had to go but were decent and cooperative, I tried to coach and advise on how the process worked, what to do and most of all, what not to do. In my career, I had a lot of people thank me, as I left the booking desk, for the way they were treated. Not everyone got that courtesy. Some people need to be in jail! I’ve been retired for 3 weeks and I’m glad all that is behind me.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,262
Posts18,486,476
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.