-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes! Keep us updated on that. In my retirement firearm downsizing the last few years I sold both of my all original matching numbers Model 96's and only have the Mod. 96 sporter now. I miss those two stock Mod. 96's already; both are great shooters.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I really like the Carl Gustav M96

I like it too, I have a 1918 year with an excellent bore, and it is!

I'll report back to you this fall. smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Been disassembling PPU ball ammo, to harvest the brass, ahead of a reloading project.

Rifle is a 6.5x55mm Ruger Hawkeye African 24"/1:8 Bbl., currently aperture sighted.

Tentative powder/primer selection is IMR 4831/CCI 200 respectively. (recommended, and is also used for the .270 Win/150 gr. load)

Bullets are .264/140 gr. Speer Grand Slam (current production), w/ an eye out for some of the new .264/130 gr. Barnes TSX-BT.

So, two basic loads.

Would like these loads to be at or near .30-06/M2 pressure - 50K CUP/60K PSI, a/o 2800 fps at the muzzle.

Hodgdon Reloading Data Center says 46.3 gr. of this powder will yield 2700 fps, remaining w/in the anemic SAAMI spec of 46K CUP/51K PSI for this cartridge.

Figure (extrapolate) ~ 48 gr. should yield ~ 2800 fps, and still be under the 50K CUP/60K PSI limit.

Would start the ladder at ~ 46 gr., chrono'ing above maybe 47.5 gr. and paying a little attn. to group size.

Figure the 130 gr. TSX would used the same final charge, albeit w/ a different velocity.

Questions/Comments/Concerns appreciated.

GR

Sounds interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see your progress. Sounds like fun. I'm also assuming you are scoping the rifle. Seems there is a lot of talk of 350+ yard shooting going on.. Sometimes I wish I could load my m96 hot, but its such a sweetheart with mild loads and it is pretty dang accurate, even with irons..

While have a VX1 2-7x33mm that is currently on the 9.3x62mm, tend to enjoy this rifle light and aperture sighted.

The M38 that isn't.

Shooting generally < 2.5 MOA with an aperture sighted rifle makes a 350 yd. shot doable, given a solid shooting position.

GR

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Why wouldn't Magnum work well in a 22" barrel?

Have found it to work well in many cartridges, some with even shorter barrels, such as the 21" 6.5x55 already mentioned. In fact, it works great in the .257 Roberts with 120-grain bullets.

Not that it won't.

Ballistics - is a fascinating physic.

Slower powder generally means more powder, longer burn, higher velocity, more recoil due to the mass of that powder, and possibly more muzzle blast as well...

... until it is too slow and velocity is lost due to lower pressure a/o lack of adequate Bbl. length.

But less slower powder works.

Double base powder has less mass to begin with, compared to a single base equivilant powder, and would add less per pressure increment as well.

But is burns longer.

And then there is load density and pressure/burn efficiency.

So, absent any mandate, tend to prefer single base powder of the lowest charge weight, that results in > 90% load density, and produces good velocity for a given bullet weight, low std. deviation, and acceptable precision.

Given that, Magnum seems like a better choice for a heavier/higher velocity/longer Bbl. problem.

Why I prefer the 4831 powder over both 4350 and 7828.

But that's just me.

8>)

GR

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
GA,

Just about any modern rifle powders, designed to work at pressures of 50,000 PSI plus, will burn within a few inches in front of the chamber--even the slowest-burning. This doesn't mean ALL the powder burns--but all that powder that's GOING to burn. Generally a 99.5% is about the best possible.

Once the powder burns, all that's driving the bullet faster is the rapidly expanding gas. This means that no matter the length of the barrel, the powders that result in the highest velocities with a given load will do so regardless of the length of the barrel--whether 16" or 26."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You'll have plenty of strength with the Ruger, i use:

09 DWM custom, 140gr npt's at 2780 with RL-22

NH model 70 custom, 147gr eldm's at 2960 with H-1000

Lapua brass for both.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunner500
You'll have plenty of strength with the Ruger, i use:

09 DWM custom, 140gr npt's at 2780 with RL-22

NH model 70 custom, 147gr eldm's at 2960 with H-1000

Lapua brass for both.

Thanks.

That 147 gr. ELDM load is smokin'.

That kind of velocity w/ the 143 ELDX would be an outstanding long range hunting load.

GR

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
GA,

Just about any modern rifle powders, designed to work at pressures of 50,000 PSI plus, will burn within a few inches in front of the chamber--even the slowest-burning. This doesn't mean ALL the powder burns--but all that powder that's GOING to burn. Generally a 99.5% is about the best possible.

Once the powder burns, all that's driving the bullet faster is the rapidly expanding gas. This means that no matter the length of the barrel, the powders that result in the highest velocities with a given load will do so regardless of the length of the barrel--whether 16" or 26."

The multi-variables in the calculus of cartridge ballistics are considerable.

Case volume/bore area/powder charge/burn rate/bullet mass/bullet friction/etc...

Area under the curve, to me, seems to explain the process in the easiest way.

More, or higher energy powder, creates a bigger gas bubble, which increases pressure for a given case volume.

Enough powder energy and the pressure exceeds max.

The bullet, accelerating down the bore, creates more volume, which, in turn, lowers pressure.

So, an ideal charge would be one that creates a gas bubble, at max pressure, that expands at the same rate as the volume created by the available bore area from the accelerating bullet.

The artificially low max pressure is the interesting variable in the case of the 6.5x55mm.

Compare the .270 Win./140 gr. to the 6.5x55mm/130 gr. (Barnes/TSX), or .270 Win./150 gr. to the 6.5x55mm/140 gr. (Speer)

Similar SD.

Case Volume per Bore Area favors the .270 by 8.36%
Bullet weight favors the .270 by 7.69%

So, loaded to the same pressure, any given powder's charge wt. will generally reflect this amount, ~ 8%.

But the Barnes Load Data changes powder, and posts Magnum as the high velocity powder for the 6.5x55mm, and Hunter for the .270 Win.

Because a slower developing gas bubble allows the bullet to create volume at a rate that limits the peak pressure of the bubble.

So, the Magnum powder choice is based on the lower pressure requirement, and not for a higher velocity, given the same area under the curve.

GR

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
GR,

Gee, thanks for the explanation. But no, the difference is NOT due to the 6.5x55's "artificially low" pressure limit....

You might want to check out Ramshot's data for the .270 Winchester. Their Magnum data generally provides more velocity with 150-grain bullets than Hunter. The difference isn't much, but it's there.

The Ramshot data is interesting, partly because they test a variety of bullets with each powder, so there's a good indication of how pressure varies with different bullets.

I started using Ramshot powders 22 years ago, due to being one of the first writer-group invited to attend their introductory event in Miles City, Montana, which included a tour of their facility, including the piezo pressure lab, along with some prairie dog shooting. At the time only TAC, Big Game and Magnum had appearered. Hunter didn't show up until a year or so later, when they decided to plug the burn-rate gap between Big Game and Magnum. I was invited to help in the pressure lab when working up the first test-loads--and was also invited to use their lab to test other handloads whenever the need arose for my articles.

Have also become acquainted with several pressure labs at other facilities, include ammunition and bullet factories. One of the interesting things is that so far nobody at any of the labs has ever mentioned "pressure under the curve," even though it's been obvious on their computer read-outs while doing the shooting. Instead they're concerned with the consistency of the peak pressure and muzzle velocity.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
FWIW, the highest velocity I recorded from any of my 6.5x55 rifles, with 140 grain bullets, was 2930fps (plus or minus fifteen or so). This was from a 26 inch barrel, throated to accept 140 Matchkings, and using 50 grains of VV165. A good load but one which produced over 1 moa of vertical at 900M so I went back to a slower load (2800 fps) using 4831sc. GD

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by greydog
FWIW, the highest velocity I recorded from any of my 6.5x55 rifles, with 140 grain bullets, was 2930fps (plus or minus fifteen or so). This was from a 26 inch barrel, throated to accept 140 Matchkings, and using 50 grains of VV165. A good load but one which produced over 1 moa of vertical at 900M so I went back to a slower load (2800 fps) using 4831sc. GD

Thanks.

2740 fps, w/ the 140 gr. GS bullet, appears to make a good 350 yd. load.

Am leaning toward the H4831 powder, and will look for a precise load from there.

Calculate 49.3 gr. from a 24" Bbl.

GR

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Trystan
Gee, I've been shooting at least one 6.5x55 for 30 years. But also have used the 6.5 Creedmoor and .260 Remington, which do the same things. So far none of the animals have been impressed with the extra "class" of the Swede.

Might also mention that even though almost everybody in America calls it the 6.5x55 "the Swede," it was co-developed by the then Combined Kingdoms of Norway and Sweden, so both their armies could use the same round. This is why the round became known as the "Swedish Mauser" in the U.S.--far more Mausers showed up here than Norwegian Krags.

At least one(1.0) was apparently enough for SAAMI.

One would have thought they were sellin'em at the CMP.

Have heard that ~ 2700 fps is about all the 6.5CM likes to shoot in a 140 gr., which should put the spread closer to 100 fps.

And even that won't change the taste of the meat.

But it will help out a little bit on iffy range shots w/ an aperture sighted rifle.

... classy not w/standing.

GR

I've loaded and hunted with the 6.5X55 for awhile with 140 grain bullets. I run my swede around 2750 fps. My son in law runs his creedmoor at 2830 fps with 140s but has the advantage of small primer brass. He's out running my swede by 80 fps and his brass consistently lasts longer than my brass. We both use Lapua. I would give the 100 fps advantage to the creedmoor

Trystan

Interesting, thanks.

GR

The deer can't seem to tell the difference! The swede feeds nicer IMO as well and for those who have a passion for a fine feeding rifle that's a beauitiful thing to behold. I don't have a swede anymore but if I found a nice wood stocked swede I'd be very tempted to get another one

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My Hawkeye African loves 140 gr npt’s with RL-22. I bought the 6.5x55 because I missed out on the .275 Rigby’s as they sold out so fast. Later on was able to find one on Gunbroker that had a decent buy now price. After developing loads and shooting both I prefer the 6.5 over the 275.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The only problem with the Swede... is that is was the Norwegians that did most of the development of the cartridge.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep--but American handloaders aren't generally concerned about the minutiae of history. But then neither are most humans.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GR,

Gee, thanks for the explanation. But no, the difference is NOT due to the 6.5x55's "artificially low" pressure limit....

You might want to check out Ramshot's data for the .270 Winchester. Their Magnum data generally provides more velocity with 150-grain bullets than Hunter. The difference isn't much, but it's there.

The Ramshot data is interesting, partly because they test a variety of bullets with each powder, so there's a good indication of how pressure varies with different bullets.

I started using Ramshot powders 22 years ago, due to being one of the first writer-group invited to attend their introductory event in Miles City, Montana, which included a tour of their facility, including the piezo pressure lab, along with some prairie dog shooting. At the time only TAC, Big Game and Magnum had appearered. Hunter didn't show up until a year or so later, when they decided to plug the burn-rate gap between Big Game and Magnum. I was invited to help in the pressure lab when working up the first test-loads--and was also invited to use their lab to test other handloads whenever the need arose for my articles.

Have also become acquainted with several pressure labs at other facilities, include ammunition and bullet factories. One of the interesting things is that so far nobody at any of the labs has ever mentioned "pressure under the curve," even though it's been obvious on their computer read-outs while doing the shooting. Instead they're concerned with the consistency of the peak pressure and muzzle velocity.

Personally, I really like Ramshot powders. I use a lot of TAC and True Blue.

My only wish was that Ramshot would show load data for bullets heavier than 140 gr in the 6.5x55. Strangely, none of the powders in the Ramshot v8 guide show a bullet heavier than 140 gr in the 6.5x55.

Also, having been an engineer involved in pressure vessel design I've never in any way, shape or form discussed or even worried about "pressure under the curve" Peak pressure is what I'd be concerned about for failure under pressure load.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
...Also, having been an engineer involved in pressure vessel design I've never in any way, shape or form discussed or even worried about "pressure under the curve" Peak pressure is what I'd be concerned about for failure under pressure load.

Was referring to performance, not failure.

Of course peak pressure would be the determining factor in that regard.

But area under the curve will express the aggregate force exerted on the bullet over time/distance in the bore.

F=MA

GR

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10ring1, 257 roberts, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,577
Posts18,532,166
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.