Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
Isn't blaming big pharma for drug abuse akin to blaming gun manufacturers for shootings because they make and promote what the public wants?

If you read about the marketing campaign Perdue pharma did. You have a different outlook on big pharma. They used this

In 1980, the New England Journal of Medicine published a four-sentence letter written by Jane Porter and Hershel Jick, M.D., describing addiction-related outcomes for the Boston University Medical Center’s patients who had been prescribed opioids. The letter states that out of the 11,000+ patients who received opioid medications, only two of them ever developed a dependence on the drug, and only one of these was a ‘major dependence’.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My back I really bad. L2 and L3 are going to be fused to already fused L4 and L5.
The pain I'm in is horrible.
When my back started acting up again last August, it was diagnosed as my IT band down my left leg.
Wrong .....
I was eating ibuprofen like candy.
Then an x ray showed my real problem.
I was given Tramadol (sp?). It did really nothing for me.
The day of my mri, the doc stopped me from working, and prescribed 5mg of oxtcodone every 4 to 6 hours, as needed for pain.
I've been on it almost 2 months now.
It doesn't make me loopy or high. It just makes the pain go away.
My feet and lower legs are swelled up, and I'm stupid now.
I only take a pill when the pain starts to get bad. I'm not to point I get antsy after 4 hours or watch the clock.
I'm making sure I don't get addicted to them.
It's a low dose, but from what they say. I can still get hooked.
Hope not....

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I had a fall and landed hard on my butt 10 plus years ago... lots of back pain but the imaging didn't show anything that could be repaired. For 6 or 7 years I took a camping mattress when going to visit. Just couldn't sit up in a chair for more than a few minutes.

If I got propped up just right I might last a few hours traveling over straight roads. Went to see a new grand nephew about 4 years ago that was beyond my range. The pain level spiked and getting narcotic pain meds and a second opinion became a priority.

Traveling 3 hours to see a neurosurgeon was less than pleasant. When the nurse took my blood pressure her eyes got big and she said "we have a problem". My wife is a doc and told her my BP runs in the normal range but not when I was in severe pain from traveling.

After imaging done with a contrasting dye it turned out that I had a broken vertebrae a chunk of it was just floating around in there bumping up against my spinal cord at will. The neurosurgeon was impress with how little narcotic pain meds I'd used all those years....

There is a joke about the hypochondriac that finally died and they put, "See I told you I was sick" on his grave stone. I loved that punch line. They plucked out the floating bit of bone and put me back together with super glue. I'd say overall pain level is down maybe 60%. I still don't lift much or pull on stuff but over all life is better.

I sure wish the initial imaging had found the problem but medicine is not an exact science. If something just isn't working out invest in a second opinion. Leave the AR at home though.

Please don't feed the trolls!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Took 1 once after a 4 wheel wreck broke a bunch of bones. Never took anything after back surgery and hip replacement.

MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Hastings
Wonder why he didn't just go buy some heroin off the street. The other day I heard on the radio that you can become addicted to opioids in 5 days. I've had one shot of Demerol in my life and I can see why someone could fall in love with that stuff.
I had cancer surgery in 1987. For 3-4 days I was given Demerol for the pain…..to this day I hate pain medications but I’d take an IV and a 55 gallon drum of Demerol.

After surgery I had 2 days of morphine, they took me off that and put me on Demerol because it was making me aggressive with the nurses, I was out of my head with that stuff and I don’t remember it.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MarkWV
Originally Posted by Hastings
Wonder why he didn't just go buy some heroin off the street. The other day I heard on the radio that you can become addicted to opioids in 5 days. I've had one shot of Demerol in my life and I can see why someone could fall in love with that stuff.
I had cancer surgery in 1987. For 3-4 days I was given Demerol for the pain…..to this day I hate pain medications but I’d take an IV and a 55 gallon drum of Demerol.

After surgery I had 2 days of morphine, they took me off that and put me on Demerol because it was making me aggressive with the nurses, I was out of my head with that stuff and I don’t remember it.

I made them take the Moriphine Drip away when I had back surgery. Made me hallucinate like crazy.

The Demerol was great stuff when I was passing a kidney stone ! 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Neurontin (gabapentin) is an anti-epileptic medication used to treat seizures. It is also used to manage chronic pain without narcotic medications.... One of the side effects can be a kind of disinhibition where the social filter between what you think and what you actually say out loud goes away.

Because my wife is a doc and she knew about this I didn't get in trouble for saying whatever I felt like saying to whoever I felt like saying it too... fortunately I didn't get beat up or shot while adjusting to the medication. I made a deal with my wife to rethink what I might be saying out in public when she pulled on her ear.....

It was kind of fun while it lasted

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like back in the early 2000s when they give you all the opioids you wanted I took what I needed and then kept the rest ...took them on hunting trips for years ! ...hell I don't remember using them up ..people getting hurt on hunting and snow snowgo trips used them up !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Pain can't be measured as,such, just ask on a scale, everyone has different threshholds. Wife has had L1 to L5 fused, multiple hips. There is no way she will ever be pain free. Oxycodone has to b e renewed every month
What we don't know is uf the surgeon did screw up. The official guideline now seems to be 3 days Pain med. Also no way to know If shooter followed protocol on exercise and not lifting

Last edited by kennyd; 06/02/22.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Been prescribed opioids type meds a few times and never could tell it really done much more than a good dose of Tylenol or leave never had the desire for more. Even had more pain shots and never had the desire for more either.
Now some of that stuff they put you out with, I've heard the same stuff that killed Michael Jackson, I could get used to that helps you sleep real good. LOL

IC B3

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[
Now some of that stuff they put you out with, I've heard the same stuff that killed Michael Jackson, I could get used to that helps you sleep real good. LOL[/quote]

I was chatting up the anesthesiologist just before getting my gallbladder taken out. I asked him what kind of drug he used. I don't remember the name of it now but it was the same one Jackson killed himself with. I mentioned that (I get real talkative when I'm nervous). He said, "yep you really need to know what you are doing with it. It's a bad choice for a recreational drug...".

He promised I would not wake up while in surgery and that yes I would wake up after the procedure.... I thought about asking him for a pinky swear but the drug must have taken effect before I could formalize the conversation grin

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
[
Now some of that stuff they put you out with, I've heard the same stuff that killed Michael Jackson, I could get used to that helps you sleep real good. LOL

I was chatting up the anesthesiologist just before getting my gallbladder taken out. I asked him what kind of drug he used. I don't remember the name of it now but it was the same one Jackson killed himself with. I mentioned that (I get real talkative when I'm nervous). He said, "yep you really need to know what you are doing with it. It's a bad choice for a recreational drug...".

He promised I would not wake up while in surgery and that yes I would wake up after the procedure.... I thought about asking him for a pinky swear but the drug must have taken effect before I could formalize the conversation grin[/quote]

Oh definitely you know colonoscopy like maybe 30 minutes or so I guess best 10 or 12 hour sleep I ever had LOL

Last edited by ldholton; 06/02/22.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by shootem
Do as you wish, but nitrous occupies the same space on red blood cells as oxygen. Add N2O, decrease O2. That’s the reason for the head buzz. Oxygen starvation aka dying. FWIW. YMMV.
Jesus? Oh! Hey Jesus!! laffin
Really?

Damn, so alla them times I was in the dentist chair and they was givin me the happy gas I coulda seen the Pearly Gates?

laffin more. No, you were probly safe because one of y’all was still straight. Helps if it’s the one running the flow meter.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Michael Jackson's quack doctor OD'ed him on Propaphol- - - -AKA "Milk of Amnesia" in the anesthesiology business. It's lights out almost instantly once it hits the IV, but just a little too much, and you don't wake up. With all the deadly drugs in the world, it's amazing that they can't find something to put serial killers out of their misery. Enough Fentanyl comes across the border every few hours to clean out every death row in the country.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Michael Jackson's quack doctor OD'ed him on Propaphol- - - -AKA "Milk of Amnesia" in the anesthesiology business. It's lights out almost instantly once it hits the IV, but just a little too much, and you don't wake up. With all the deadly drugs in the world, it's amazing that they can't find something to put serial killers out of their misery. Enough Fentanyl comes across the border every few hours to clean out every death row in the country.

Maybe you're on to something here but the Democrats will never go for it

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by ingwe
When I heard he was looking for a specific MD, this was my first thought.

But.....but...drug use is a victimless crime....

Yep. “Those Folks” will be along shortly! 🤪🤪🤪
Don't think pain meds for someone who just had surgery makes him a lunky.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
He promised I would not wake up while in surgery and that yes I would wake up after the procedure.... I thought about asking him for a pinky swear but the drug must have taken effect before I could formalize the conversation grin

He might have started you off with a little Versed. I’ve had a goodly amount of that in my too many episodes of anesthesia. Milky looking. You can watch it coming in the IV and feel it hit. And that’s the last thing you feel for a while. Or the last you remember anyway. I’ve even tried to fight it to see if I could. Next thing I know I’m in recovery. But there’s no sleep like it.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Crazy eyes.... sounds like no real legal problems prior to this....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by ingwe
When I heard he was looking for a specific MD, this was my first thought.

But.....but...drug use is a victimless crime....

Yep. “Those Folks” will be along shortly! 🤪🤪🤪
Don't think pain meds for someone who just had surgery makes him a lunky.

Of course not Roger. He was probably already a Junky. I’ve lived with severe back pain for the last 20 years.
I know how bad back pain can be. Never once did I shoot anyone for some “pain meds”. 🤪

I also lived on Hydracodine for 2 years before and after my back surgery. 4 to 5 pills a day.
Never once was I “addicted. Told the Doc I didn’t want any more of them one day. Hated the damn side effects. Couldn’t sleep. They just made me jumpy and anxious. And always constipated. Threw them away one day and never looked back. I hated taking them. They numbed the pain, but didn’t make it go away.

Guess some folks might have an “addictive personality.”” Or the just love the “feeling” it gives them, and they can’t get enough. I believe some folks choose to be addicts.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/02/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (01Foreman400, 35, 405winash, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 797 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,392
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.