Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Over the last year I’ve had occasion to be associated with three different business owners that claim to be “disabled veteran owned businesses”. I know for a fact that 2 of them served in areas where they saw no combat, one was on a sub, one in the Seabees. I was at first really surprised when they made the claim, and it’s opened up business opportunities/money making opportunities for them they otherwise wouldn’t realize.

My question is for combat vets. What’s your feeling on this? I honestly feel conflicted over whether I even have the right to question it since I’ve never served myself, but it’s hard not to feel like it’s a form of stolen valor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 10 percent hearing loss would qualify as disabled veteran. Yeah it bugs me too. Almost every service member has something banged up after a few years in. Not really that many lost their legs mowing down taliban with their hatchet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
a VA disability rating is related to the veterans ability to have self supporting employment after service. some ratings are low percentages and the veteran doesn't receive any monetary benefit but can receive some advantages through education and low interest loans, job training and similar.

Other ratings can be high and the veteran receives monthly payments to compensate for disabilities caused by service.

Location and type of service is irrelevant.

PM me if you have additional questions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a veteran. Want that to be clear.

I look at veteran status like Christianity.

If I know that about you, if I learn it about you in a way that
isn't you using it as self promotion, you jump up in status and
I'll support you more.

But, if you trot it out. If you try to use it to gain status or think it
makes you more credible, you done crapped in your hat with me.

Gotta wonder. "Why do they feel the need to bring that into a simple
business deal?"

Can't run a con without building confidence.
Religion and Veteran are two of the best ways to do it.

This isn't anti Vet.

Think back 50 years.
How many WWII vets had their status posted everywhere?

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 06/02/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There are supply people who have never stepped out of an office who are 100% disabled. Any service connected disability may be compensable. It needn't have taken place on the battlefield. The entire VA compensation system is on an unsustainable trajectory. Too many people are milking it for everything they can.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not sure about that. My dad was an FE on a C-119 for 4 years, then did another 15 in the reserves. Road a desk for the DoD for 35 years. Deaf as a mud fence. Of course wrenching on loud ass turbo fan engines for Uncle Sam had nothing to do with it and the VA told him to get [bleep]. They can kiss my ass.

If a soldier, sailor, marine, or airman is injured/disabled on the job, then by God they should get all the benefits as anyone else. They most likely didn't get to choose whether they're in combat or not, but they stepped up when called or volunteered. God Bless 'em.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Gov't contracts give special consideration to disabled vets, vets, minorities, and women. You should read the spec sheet to bid a job. White males need not apply. I do have some reservation about those who use the disabled vet moniker to gain advantage. Most of the guys who became disabled with a Purple Heart type scenario won't go there. Just my experience.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Not sure about that. My dad was an FE on a C-119 for 4 years, then did another 15 in the reserves. Road a desk for the DoD for 35 years. Deaf as a mud fence. Of course wrenching on loud ass turbo fan engines for Uncle Sam had nothing to do with it and the VA told him to get [bleep]. They can kiss my ass.

If a soldier, sailor, marine, or airman is injured/disabled on the job, then by God they should get all the benefits as anyone else. They most likely didn't get to choose whether they're in combat or not, but they stepped up when called or volunteered. God Bless 'em.

Well said! I was AF and have a Service related rating and was in several live fire theatre but was not in combat per se. I loaded and repaired a [bleep] load of aircraft though and have tinnitus and extreme hearing loss from serving, so I guess I’m milking it. The VA gave me mine without ever applying so they saw something in those x rays.

Appreciate anyone who served!

Good Shooting!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Not a veteran. Want that to be clear.

I look at veteran status like Christianity.

If I know that about you, if I learn it about you in a way that
isn't you using it as self promotion, you jump up in status and
I'll support you more.

But, if you trot it out. If you try to use it to gain status or think it
makes you more credible, you done crapped in your hat with me.

Gotta wonder. "Why do they feel the need to bring that into a simple
business deal?"

Can't run a con without building confidence.
Religion and Veteran are two of the best ways to do it.

This isn't anti Vet.

Think back 50 years.
How many WWII vets had their status posted everywhere?

I feel the same way

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Each individual is different and each case has to be judged on it's merits. I'm not really bothered by such things much. I know a lot of people who are milking the system that run the full spectrum between really decent folks and scumbags. I also know a lot of people who are really torn up (physically and mentally) that wouldn't take a dime from the system.

I've never used the VA and hope I never have to.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by strikeu
a VA disability rating is related to the veterans ability to have self supporting employment after service. some ratings are low percentages and the veteran doesn't receive any monetary benefit but can receive some advantages through education and low interest loans, job training and similar.

Other ratings can be high and the veteran receives monthly payments to compensate for disabilities caused by service.

Some can also qualify for SSDI and receive military and SSDI benefits at the same time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scout308
Originally Posted by strikeu

Some can also qualify for SSDI and receive military and SSDI benefits at the same time.

if you want to see a scam system, look at social security disability. VA disability is pretty well vetted. SSDI is a total lawyer fed scam system.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I’ll be honest with you, I couldn’t care less if I bought it from a disabled vet business or Walmart. I need to think about what’s best for me and my family.

Last edited by MarkWV; 06/02/22.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's definitely NOT a form of stolen valor. Getting compensated for some form of permanent injury/condition incurred from military service is in no way similar to lying about your military service. And yes, I served - US Army, Retired. No - I don't have a service related disability.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Over the last year I’ve had occasion to be associated with three different business owners that claim to be “disabled veteran owned businesses”. I know for a fact that 2 of them served in areas where they saw no combat, one was on a sub, one in the Seabees. I was at first really surprised when they made the claim, and it’s opened up business opportunities/money making opportunities for them they otherwise wouldn’t realize.

My question is for combat vets. What’s your feeling on this? I honestly feel conflicted over whether I even have the right to question it since I’ve never served myself, but it’s hard not to feel like it’s a form of stolen valor.

ridiculous of course. a navy friend has 90 per cent disability due to sleep apnea. never got within 10,000 miles of combat

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I’m a combat vet- I don’t have a service connected disability with the VA for 2 reasons- one is that I’m too lazy to go through the BS that it takes to get a physical with the VA, and the other is that when I was in, I was on flight status, and any injury or disability could affect that, so I never reported anything (hence no medical records to claim a disability against).

I have conflicting opinions on the disability system as a whole… there are a multitude of reasons someone can hurt themselves in the military, and only about .01% are combat related- participating in PT when you’re hurt, lifting crap with your back, tinnitus from jet engines and explosions, etc. Most of these things can be attributed to being young and stupid which is not unique to the military. Should a guy who was a laborer at a construction company at 18 be able to claim back pain issues from his employer later on in his 50’s? No. On the other hand, things like showing up to PT for a 6 miles run when you have a sprained ankle (because there’s a cultural stigma to going to the doctor unless you are actively bleeding or have a broken bone) is uniquely military. Unfortunately there are a ton of vets who claim stuff that’s just a result of “getting old”- sore backs, etc.

Combat injuries are obviously not up for discussion or argument- but that’s a tiny fraction of VA claims.

As far as being sustainable, the VA continues to get increased funding, but the huge number of WW2, Korea, and Vietnam Vets are rapidly dying, so the very small number of vets since the draft ended are going to get a proportionally larger share of the budget.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ribka

ridiculous of course. a navy friend has 90 per cent disability due to sleep apnea. never got within 10,000 miles of combat

I assure you, no one has 90% disability for just sleep apnea.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Is it ridiculous knowing that he may have had repeatedly shifting sleep cycles from going from a 6 hour duty cycle while at sea to a traditional 16/8 cycle on shore for several years? I’m not an expert on sleep apnea, but I know my sleep is still totally effed up since I worked a 24 on, 18 off cycle/ then back to a normal cycle for many years. Screwing with the body clock can really mess with a guy for a long time. I guess that goes back to my earlier post which I have mixed opinions on how much an employer should compensate someone for the messed up things they made their employees do.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bufaf

I assure you, no one has 90% disability for just sleep apnea.

https://ptsdlawyers.com/veterans-disability-sleep-apnea/#:~:text=Disability%20ratings%20for%20sleep%20apnea,payment%20amount%20for%20sleep%20apnea.

Disability ratings for sleep apnea are assigned at 0, 30, 50, or 100 percent.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by LoadClear

Is it ridiculous knowing that he may have had repeatedly shifting sleep cycles from going from a 6 hour duty cycle while at sea to a traditional 16/8 cycle on shore for several years? I’m not an expert on sleep apnea, but I know my sleep is still totally effed up since I worked a 24 on, 18 off cycle/ then back to a normal cycle for many years. Screwing with the body clock can really mess with a guy for a long time. I guess that goes back to my earlier post which I have mixed opinions on how much an employer should compensate someone for the messed up things they made their employees do.

They didn’t “make them do” it they signed on. If your injury isn’t combat related, you’re not a disabled veteran. You’re a disabled worker. You’re taking away the respect owed to a guy with limbs blown off defending his country. Just quit it.

Last edited by jackmountain; 06/02/22.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.